Author Topic: Specifying music tracks in Editor 1.14  (Read 2200 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Specifying music tracks in Editor 1.14
« on: November 02, 2019, 10:22:25 PM »
Hi all,

When specifying music for a level in the new Editor, it comes up with a list of all the orig, oh_no and xmas music. This is great, but... what if you want to specify your own music. How do you make it appear in this list? Does it have to be in a particular format?

Thanks in advance,

-WillLem 8-)

Things I've tried:

1 Adding music to "music" folder in main NeoLemmix folder and then re-opening editor. Doesn't appear in drop-down list
2 Using PackToolKit to import music. Works, but there doesn't seem to be a way to specify which track goes with with level
3 Creating a "music.nxlv" file. Again, you can compile the music and specify the order here, but no way to assign each track to a specific level
3 Dragging and dropping the music file into the editor... thought it was worth a try! :P

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Specifying music tracks in Editor 1.14
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 11:43:33 PM »
You can also type into the music field in the new editor. Type in any name of a music file already present inside the music folder and the level should have this track now.

The most commonly used formats for music (I would say) are: OGG, mp3, it and mod.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 12:44:33 PM »
You can also type into the music field in the new editor. Type in any name of a music file already present inside the music folder and the level should have this track now.

The most commonly used formats for music (I would say) are: OGG, mp3, it and mod.

Thanks, IchoTolot - this worked!

Btw... what does your name mean?

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 12:55:21 PM »
It's a name from a character from a sci-fi series called "Perry Rhodan". ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 06:12:41 PM »
Just to expand on this a bit,

The full list of supported formats. This is in order from highest to lowest priority (ie: if more than one of these exist, NL will use the first):
- OGG
- WAV
- AIFF
- AIF
- MP3
- MO3
- IT
- MOD
- XM
- S3M
- MTM
- UMX

For music, all of the above are supported. For sound effects, only the first 5 (OGG to MP3) are supported. Seamless looping is supported with OGG (this is done the same way RPG Maker handles it, there's plenty of tutorials for that out there, look up "how to make OGG loop in RPG Maker" or something along those lines), and with all tracker-based formats (these formats have native support for this); other formats only support the "upon reaching the end, go back to the start" type of looping.

Note that extensions are ignored in level files (and "music.nxmi" files). It doesn't matter if you type "track01", or "track01.mod", or "track01.ogg", etc. All of these will just be treated as if you typed "track01", and NL will look for each supported extension in the order mentioned above.

MIDI is not supported. It has been requested once but is not in particularly high demand. MIDI files can only be used currently by first converting them to another supported format (IT is the easiest); this isn't too tricky to do, the majority of custom musics in my packs are MIDI to IT conversions.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 05:30:38 PM »
Quick question regarding this: I've noticed that some tracks in the "music" folder (such as the original music) are loose in the main folder, whilst others are in their own folder (such as "Lemmings_Plus", for instance).

Which is correct? And... if you distribute your music in a folder, do you need to tell the levelpack/music.nxmi files that you have done so, or will they know where to look?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 06:01:25 PM »
Either is "correct" and will work. Using a subfolder is the recommended approach; but most people ignore this.

You need to include the folder in such cases. For example, specify "Lemmings_Plus_III/bam4" in levels / music.nxmi for "bam4" in the folder "Lemmings_Plus_III".
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)