Author Topic: [Suggestion] Add Support for MIDI Files  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Yung Gotenks

• View Profile
[Suggestion] Add Support for MIDI Files
« on: January 26, 2018, 10:27:46 PM »
So, after I Put up the download for all of the Lemmings Paintball MIDIs, namida told me that MIDI wasn't supported. And this kinda makes me sad.
I know MIDI to IT conversion exists but some notes get cut short or drag on too long and it just ruins it.

I know that this stuff can't be easy to code but i'd be nice.

My Packs:
Yung's First Level Pack: A pack with 15 levels. Basic knowledge of the new NeoLemmix skills is required.
http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3362.0
The Hell Pack: Every level is hell themed. Basic knowledge of the new NeoLemmix Skills is required.
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3551.msg67577#msg67577

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: [Suggestion] Add Support for MIDI Files
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 12:28:33 AM »
The best workaround I know of is to convert to .ogg. You'll get a cleaner conversion that way, but you'll need a program that can do it. I use XMPlay for that purpose, but it requires plugins to work.

It will make the files much bigger, unfortunately, but nowadays that's not usually a huge problem.

I think MIDI to IT conversion is absolute garbage and should not be used.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [Suggestion] Add Support for MIDI Files
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 01:48:05 AM »
Nepster: If looking into doing this, there is a plugin for BASS called "BassMidi" that may be able to achieve this fairly easily. For how to integrate it properly into the existing code, I think GameSound.pas is the file to look at, and note in particular sections that have seperate code for module formats vs regular formats.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)