Author Topic: New level pack, (Nuked Lemmings)  (Read 5816 times)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
New level pack, (Nuked Lemmings)
« on: October 06, 2019, 03:47:45 AM »
Hi everyone

I have just made 20 levels which are of varying difficulties hoping to trick the most seasoned lemmings player. Hoping I have done this correctly and everything. I tried to focus on less building levels as my last pack had lots of building in it where you would fast forward then assign a builder then fast forward again. Some of these levels do take a bit of inspiration from some of the later levels of ski sloping lemmings just as in level design and the such.

I put these levels in alphabetical order which you can play any level you want to first. If you get stuck at a level try a different one and see how many of the levels you can complete, this pack only uses the traditional skills but that doesn't mean it won't be hard.

Anyone who has played levels from the random level topic might remember two of the levels which were (pipe pits) and (Down fall lemming). If you remember completing these then you don't have to do them again but I thought they were good enough levels to be put into a pack.

No hidden exit levels, No long building levels,

Well it might have its own problems well I hope not. :)

I hope I did the rank name thing properly, this pack is called Nuked Lemmings, I thought of the name as I was playing some duke3d and duke3d has the nuke symbol as well as lemmings has the mushroom looking one.

Hoping not to find too many backroutes but if it happens I will have a think as to whether it destroys the level in which case I will probably try to block off the backroutes if possible.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 01:12:27 AM by grams88 »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: New level pack, (Nuked Lemmings)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 05:19:14 AM »
I played the first few levels.

"Can You Remember How?" - I do feel this level's size didn't really add anything to it; the same puzzle could have been done in a much smaller size. Likewise, the locked release rate didn't seem to serve any purpose. (These two statements are assuming this isn't a case of that my solution is a backroute and the intended solution does make use of these elements.) Nonetheless, this already shows a huge improvement over the level design style seen in your first pack, and while not particularly hard, this level was not trivial by any means.

On a more subtle note, the water under the exit - I notice this isn't quite lined up correctly. Even more importantly - you don't really need to mess around with placing multiple water objects in the first place, you can resize them - see attachment. This is a very minor detail though, and is only noticable under Clear Physics Mode.

"Complex" - This level has a lot of unused empty space at the top, I suggest reducing that. But that aside, this was a very nice level - not too difficult, but pretty fun. :)

"Downfall Lemming" - The screen start position is right at the bottom of this level; that should be fixed. Also, the water near the exit, it looks a bit messy with the sudden cutoff - perhaps try using some vertically-flipped waters to make this look tidier? But those are purely cosmetic issues, and in terms of actual gameplay, this is an excellent level IMO!

"Gap Fix" - I'm pretty sure I majorly backrouted this one. ;)

I'll likely come back to this and play more later, but so far - this is a huge improvement over your first pack, and I'm quite enjoying this one! :D I do, in all honesty, think you've overestimated the difficulty a bit - these levels definitely aren't trivial, but they're not super hard either. But they are good. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
Re: New level pack, (Nuked Lemmings) (Sorting out backroutes)
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 01:57:56 PM »
Thanks Namida, it means a lot when it comes from the masters of lemmings.  :thumbsup: I think I might have a lot of unused space in a lot of the levels.

Right okay I will make sure I do the spoiler tag thing okay.  (Namida, Comments)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks again Namida for the comments, I'm hoping it was a lot better than my last pack, I did try to cut down on the builders as that was something that was used heavily on the last pack. I do feel like we need to keep on top of the backroutes especially with one of the levels was a major backroute, I won't mention what one except in the spoiler. I have a feeling what levels might need a backroute fix but so far so good, only one level needs a backroute fix so far.

I will admit there is one level I'm not too keen on, which is lemming suicide, I wouldn't say this is a spoiler but I wonder if others will probably think the same way as myself in relation to the (Lemming Suicide level)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 02:13:47 PM by grams88 »

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 09:09:03 PM »
Might as well get started on fixing things.

Tidied up the water area in (Down fall lemming) also tried to see if I can stop a certain backroute on the (Gap fixes) level. I think it will be a hard one to fix but you never know and hoping I get that one sorted, fingers crossed.

I will post the updated one at the top of this topic.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 10:56:46 PM »
Re-solved the two changed levels.

Downfall Lemming (click to show/hide)

Gap Fixes (click to show/hide)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 12:39:15 PM »
Namida Comments (Does contain a spoiler for other players)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 01:17:41 AM »
I had a look at this pack. At the moment, the zip contains:

* Twenty loose levels
* A subfolder "Damn I'm good" containing the same twenty levels (or at least, levels with the same titles)
* Four other subfolders, containing five levels each. This seems to be an allocation of the same twenty levels to rank subfolders, but there is no indication of what order the ranks should be in, nor of the order of the levels within each rank.

As a result, there are three copies of each level, which might be identical (I'm not going to take the time to find out), but if there are any differences then there's no indication of which version is the intended one to play.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 03:27:31 AM by Proxima »

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 03:06:51 AM »
Actually I think I've confused myself here and everyone else. :-[ I thought I actually removed those ranks, surely I would of when I was making it up, I just realised i think I have uploaded the wrong one as I thought I removed those ranks. Right okay I've probably confused myself during  the process and added the wrong zip file. I can't even remember if I actually added those ranks to the pack, I don't think I did, part of me remembers removing those ranks.

I must of deleted the proper one that never had those ranks in it and the levels were listed in alphabetical order. They are all the same levels in the other folders.

I might change the download on the first forum post.

I looked into it more and I'm totally confused, I don't know what I've done sorry about this Proxima.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 03:32:41 AM by grams88 »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 03:32:10 AM »
Thank you, it's fine now. Sorry if my post came across too harshly. I just wanted to make sure I was playing the correct levels.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 03:35:04 AM »
Not at all Proxima you were not harsh.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 04:03:50 AM »
Proxima, I just realised that the pack at the top of the page seems to be version with the backroutes still in it. I'll need to fix, must apologise again, I don't seem to be firing on all cylinders at the moment. I'm back to confused.

I fix the level pack as two levels didn't have the backroute gix which I'm sure I done anyway. arrggggggggggggggg I'm causing people to get annoyed at me and they will eat me alive. :devil:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 04:37:01 AM by grams88 »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 09:04:05 PM »
Hello grams88,

I have solved the entire pack. My replays are attached. I have also LPed the pack.

Link to LP: Kaywhyn's LP of Grams88's Nuked Lems pack. Enjoy! :P

Regarding the difficulty, after reading from you that the pack is difficult, I was definitely worried that the pack would get too hard even for someone like me, but now that I have solved the entire pack, I'm definitely in agreement that the pack is difficult and challenging. The pack starts with a not too difficult level, but at the same time it's still not trivial. From there on, the levels got quite difficult, although there were some levels where the solution is obvious, but the execution is difficult. Some had pretty tough timings to do.

I say the hardest the pack ever gets is level 13. As can be seen in my LP, this level took up the most videos, 3, before I finally solved it. However, there is a problem with the level where there's 11 entrances even though there's only 10 lemmings. As a result, one of the entrances doesn't even spawn any lemmings. I'm wondering if this was an oversight, as this is definitely a design error.

Speaking of design, there were some levels that were huge where one doesn't even use most of the map. Here I'm thinking 1 and 4. The former seems to have no purpose in having the level be that big, as you can certainly achieve the same result with a much smaller map. The latter is worse in this regard, although props to you for at least in the effort of decorating the level in an attempt to make it look nice ;) 9 would also fall under the latter, although it's not a big level but still has an obvious half of the level that can't be used in the solution. At the same time, the bubble tileset happens to be a tileset that I like, due to the design and also association of fun time with bubbles. 

As for the quality, there's definitely plenty of variety in the puzzles. Some were difficult but they felt satisfying to figure out. There were some levels that I wasn't a fan of due to the fiddlyness of the solutions, especially since most of the time it's difficult to know where to place the skills in order to be efficient in the solution. As a result, some of the levels have potential to be better than they currently are with some tweaking/fixing. However, the fact that I solved the entire pack means that it's been proven that all levels are currently solvable and possible.

Overall, this was a decent pack. It's not over the top great, but at the same time it isn't terrible either. So, I would say the quality is average, almost leaning towards above it here. Compared to your Ski Slope pack, I have no idea if it's an improvement, since I haven't played your other pack yet. I will, though. I'll probably just go through it the way it is currently, with a level removed from each rank, resulting in only 19 levels per rank.

Detailed Feedback on the Levels (click to show/hide)

Once again, nice job and attempt with the pack. Thank you for recommending this pack for me to LP. As for my call, I wouldn't exactly suggest to play the pack, since I think it is of average quality. Not over the top great, but at the same time the pack isn't terrible either. It still might be fine for those who loves the game in general to play. I still see great potential with the pack being much better with some major changes, though. I think had you not suggested this pack to LP, I might not had even played it all even though I have plans to eventually play all packs available. In particular, I mostly played the pack to see if I'm able to get through it due to what sounds like a difficult pack and how bad it would stump even someone like me, which as you know I have solved so many packs. Indeed, it was difficult and challenging, and certainly some of the levels were satisfying to figure out.

I hope you find the LP, replays, and feedback helpful! ;) 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 01:14:07 AM »
I fixed a very major backroute for (This will be mayhem) level and the new download is up at the top. Would you be up for trying the new (This will be mayhem) level?

Merry Christmas everyone.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 02:12:12 AM »
Resolved Rank 1, level 14. Replay attached.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 02:23:37 AM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2020, 02:49:00 PM »
Thanks Kaywhyn, I consider that a Christmas present to me as well. We watched another one of your videos, been enjoying seeing the solution, I like how there was one level where you might have thought, how the heck do I solve this.

I'll probably give more detailed feedback on the levels after the new year.