Author Topic: Inverted exits and hatches  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Inverted exits and hatches
« on: October 03, 2019, 05:20:09 PM »
Hi, just a quick question: Since I noticed that the option to rotate and invert exits has been restored to the editor a while ago, is there any particular reason why it's possible for exits, but not for hatches? ;)

I sometimes like to have my lemmings come "out of the ground"...
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Inverted exits and hatches
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 07:14:42 PM »
Because of the possibility of inverted gravity being added in the future. It's a slim chance, but not conclusively ruled out. If we were to allow inverted entrances now, we'd either have to:

a) have "spawns upside down lemmings" as a separate flag (and in the past, we did have "Flip graphic horizontally" and "Flip lemming direction" as separate flags, and it was decided to merge these)
b) break all levels currently using inverted entrances
c) cancel the upside-down for all levels predating the feature - which would in turn require a way to distinguish, which in turn is basically just a way of implementing then immediately culling option A

If you want to have your lemmings come out of the ground, my suggestion is to design a new entrance object that suits such a visual effect.

On the flipside (pun not intended, but very much enjoyed when I spotted it), for an exit, the only thing that might need to change is the trigger area. Even this could be addressed with a "trigger area vertical offset doesn't apply to invert-gravity lemmings" type rule.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: Inverted exits and hatches
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 08:10:32 AM »
Ah, you mean Lemmings-Revolution-style? :thumbsup: That would be awesome!
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels