Author Topic: New subboards for the Level Packs board?  (Read 5660 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
New subboards for the Level Packs board?
« on: March 15, 2018, 07:03:23 PM »
Currently we tag our lemmings level packs with the platform name [Lix] or [NeoLemmix], they are created for. However with the change from the old-formats NeoLemmix to the new-formats one with their incompatible pack structure, this creates questions:
- How do we distinguish packs made for the old formats NeoLemmix from the ones made with the new formats version?
- How can a user, who has only one of the NeoLemmix versions, see what level packs are available for them?

My suggestion would be to split this board into three subboards, one for Lix, one for old-formats NeoLemmix and one for new-formats NeoLemmix. Packs for Lemmini or vanilla Lemmix may stay in the main board.

Do you think the questions above are actual problems, or is this just a pet peeve of mine? Would such a split help you to find the packs you want to play? Do you have better suggestions?

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
Re: New subboards for the Level Packs board?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 07:08:01 PM »
No, this is a good idea. It's best to avoid confusion wherever possible. Would NeoLemmix V1.43 packs stay in the main board as well?
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 07:10:30 PM »
I think this is a helpful split :)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 07:39:26 PM »
No, this is a good idea. It's best to avoid confusion wherever possible. Would NeoLemmix V1.43 packs stay in the main board as well?
I slightly lean towards including them into the "Old NeoLemmix" subfolder. If we have them in the main level pack board, then new players, who aren't used to this forum, might see these old packs with the tag [NeoLemmix], download them and get problems. On the other hand, if there are no NeoLemmix packs in the main board, then they hopefully will see the distinction between the two NeoLemmix subboards and choose the correct one.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 07:42:24 PM »
Don't the Lix packs generally go to the Lix board?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 10:12:08 PM »
I agree with the split of the level board by engine. That's good for forward to IRC.

Forestidia: Until now, Lix levels get posted to Lix main because the only alternative is to post to the all-engines level pack board. The downside of posting Lix levels to all-engines level packs is that these posts don't show in IRC. I don't want all-engines level pack posts in #lix because of its many NeoLemmix posts (the all-engine posts show in #neolemmix).

I would group the new level boards with their ecosystems:

Lix: main, levels (bugs are on github or post in main)
NL: main, bugs, tilesets, NL 12 levels, NL ≤ 11 levels
SuperLemmini: only one board (merge bug board into main board because project inactive)
Other engines: main (L2/L3 editor development), levels (QFK2, QFK2)

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 04:46:29 AM »
Here's a complete proposal including concrete names for the boards. Please destroy this instead of the ideas from my last post. The core idea is the same: Split the custom level board according to engine.

Lemmings Main (rename from Lemmings Discussion)
Help & Guides (rename from Lemmings Help)
Tech & Research (rename from Lemmings Lab)
Challenges
Level Design
Level Contests (rename from Level Design Contests, but not sure, maybe keep title)
Level Reviews (rename from Lemmings Reviews)
Fan Corner

Lix Main (issue reports are best on github, 2nd-best here)
Lix Levels

NeoLemmix Main
NeoLemmix Issues (Reporter shouldn't classify bug/suggestion = guess dev's intention.)
NeoLemmix Closed Issues
NeoLemmix Graphic Sets (or NeoLemmix Tilesets? Which term is more popular?)
NeoLemmix v12+ Levels
NeoLemmix v11 Levels
NeoLemmix Levels in Development
NeoLemmix 2.00 (Keep read-only. Any other suggestions for archiving this?)

SuperLemmini (merge SL Bugs & Suggestions into this until SL gets more active)

Other Engines Main (including Lemmix, level editors for L2, L3, ...)
Other Engines Levels (QFK2, QFK3 should be moved here)
Other Projects

Off-Topic (rename from General Discussion)
Gaming (rename from Non-Lemmings Gaming)
Forum Games
This Website (rename from Site Discussion)

-- Simon
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:18:34 AM by Simon »

Offline kieranmillar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 07:08:47 AM »
Change Level Contests to just Contests and catch any potential future contest that's not level design, if there ever is one.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 08:15:22 AM »
Level Contests -> Contests: I agree. It will still be largely level contests and that's fine.

-- Simon

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 05:02:33 PM »
I totally approve of Simon's general proposal for the new boards. But I still have some comments:
1) I would like to keep "NeoLemmix Bugs&Suggestions" instead of "NeoLemmix Issues". Yes, on a technical basis, "issues" is the better fit, but I think "bugs" and "suggestions" are easier to understand for the general audience. And I don't care whether people reporting issues classify them as bugs or suggestions, as I can always change the tag anyway.
2) I would put "NeoLemmix 2.00" as a subboard of "NeoLemmix Bugs&Suggestions" next to "NeoLemmix Closed Issues". As subsubboards they are well enough hidden, that only few people will look through them, which is exactly what we want.
3) I disagree with changing "Non-Lemmings Gaming" to "Gaming", because the new suggestion is far too general, especially as we are a gaming forum. And we certainly want lemming speed-running threads in "Challenges" or "Lemmings Main" or the like, not in "Gaming".
4) I like "Site Discussion" better than "This Website", because "This Website" has a feeling of just being an "About" page with info, not a place of discussions and suggestions.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 09:28:30 PM »
NeoLemmix 2.00 (Keep read-only. Any other suggestions for archiving this?)

Revive (maybe as a new thread) any threads that may hold useful ideas, move the rest to Closed, nuke the board altogether.

Re: NL 1.43 levels, either in the general "Old NeoLemmix" or the main "Levels" board. Don't give them their own board; creating new content for a version this old should be strongly discouraged - the continued availability is so that old content that hasn't been (or in some cases, can't be) updated remains playable; not because of any intention to support new content for it. In fact, I would even say that any new postings of even V10 (not V11 - that only existed as experimentals; stable went straight from V10.xx.xx to V12.xx.xx) content should be discouraged now that V12 is stable.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 11:00:35 PM »
I'm good with Nepster's 1)-4) and namida's merge of 2.00 into Closed. The result will then be:

Lemmings Main
Help & Guides
Tech & Research
Challenges
Level Design
Contests
Reviews
Fan Corner

Lix Main
Lix Levels

NeoLemmix Main
NeoLemmix Bugs & Suggestions
NeoLemmix Closed (merge 2.00 into here)
NeoLemmix Graphic Sets
NeoLemmix Levels (only for v12; levels for earlier NL go to Other Engines Levels )
NeoLemmix Levels in Development

SuperLemmini
Other Engines Main
Other Engines Levels
Other Projects

Off-Topic
Non-Lemmings Gaming
Forum Games
Site Discussion

-- Simon

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 12:24:51 AM »
Looks good, and I agree with having the "Contests" board named as such. Gigalem did mention eventually wanting to do a tileset design contest so this could create a place for such a thread to go.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 02:22:51 AM »
Thanks. I'll implement the changes then.

I will make an empty board for NL 12 levels and it's up to all moderators to shovel packs to NeoLemmix Levels from the old level board == the new Other Engines Levels board.

-- Simon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 05:41:18 AM »
Done. We have split the level pack board into:
  • NL v12, readily-converted packs for the most recent version,
  • NL v10, all NeoLemmix packs that haven't been converted yet,
  • Levels for other engines.
I've made many boards on the top level, i.e., the forum homepage gets longer. Good or bad? Move more boards back to child boards of other boards?

IRC announcements: In #lix, we get all posts from the boards 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 11, 14, 23, 26 (new additions to the old selection: Lix Levels, Other Projects, Levels of other engines). In #neolemmix, we get all posts from boards whose names do not start with "Lix".

-- Simon
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 05:46:41 AM by Simon »