Author Topic: [BUG] [GRAPHICS TOOL] Setting Trigger width for large objects  (Read 1824 times)

Offline zanzindorf

• View Profile
    • Zanzindorf.com
[BUG] [GRAPHICS TOOL] Setting Trigger width for large objects
« on: January 29, 2018, 02:02:52 AM »
This could just be me being unfamiliar with the new format, but I'll ask anyway.

When setting the trigger width for an object in the new Graphics Tool, it seems you can only enter numbers between 1-100. Normally, this isn't an issue since very few objects would ever be that large, but I was putting together a style featuring a very long water object (288 pixels long). I was able to work around the limit by just editing the text file for the water object after I exported the style from the Graphics Tool, so no big deal.

I was just wondering if this was working as intended or if it was a bug. The levels using the water object seem to work just fine after my edit, but I didn't want it causing bigger problems down the road once I've invested a lot of time making levels with this style. Is there anything wrong with using objects with triggers larger than 100 pixels?

Side note: working with the new tools so far, I'm loving the new version of NeoLemmix. The new format is making development go a lot swifter.

Anyways, thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

Using V12.00.01

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [BUG] [GRAPHICS TOOL] Setting Trigger width for large objects
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 08:27:37 AM »
Unless there have been some major changes recently (which I doubt), there is no technical problem with large trigger area sizes. Unless we're talking extremely large, but you'd have to make one about 2.1 billion pixels wide (or tall) before it might have issues.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 05:51:31 PM »
No, there aren't any restrictions except that I have to set some limit for the boxes in the graphics tool. And as you said yourself, editing it by hand in the nxmo file works fine.

On the other hand, water objects can be resized horizontally in the new formats, so unless you have absolutely no repetition in your water object, there is no reason not to make the water object only 72 pixels wide and let the level designer enlarge it as they see fit.

For that reason I thought up to now, that 100 pixel wide trigger areas should be sufficient for all style...

Offline zanzindorf

• View Profile
    • Zanzindorf.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 01:47:47 AM »
That's pretty cool. I didn't know about the resizing. My water's ripped from Agony for the Amiga. If I had just drawn it from scratch, I probably wouldn't have made it so long. I might edit it down so it's easier to use. Thanks for the help!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 04:49:03 PM »
Btw. level designers can not only enlarge water objects, but also make them thinner, e.g. only use the leftmost 16 pixels of the whole 288pixel-wide object. So a huge water objects isn't that much of a problem, except that it might feel overwhelming at first glance.