Author Topic: A contest I'd like to do eventually  (Read 3661 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
A contest I'd like to do eventually
« on: November 29, 2017, 05:29:39 AM »
I've seen so many level design contests that, personally I'd to hold one of these one day.

This one is what I'd like to do is a Graphic Set design contest a "Make a good Tileset contest" if you will.

The Idea is exactly what it says on the tin, and then some.

1.You make a graphic set from scratch or based on another game of something like that
2.once the set is made you make at least one level to show it off.
3.submit
4.if its approved, you're all done.

There would be criterias that would need to be met. (If you're curious, I'll elaborate) But those would be set if we decide to do one of these.

If we needed trophies, Look at my ideas for the trophies in the spoiler below
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Feel free to express your thoughts.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: A contest I'd like to do eventually
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 05:42:35 AM »
Sounds like a good idea especially as there seems to be a lot of inspired graphic set creators recently. I've known of quite a few people who have benefited from my Graphic Set Tool tutorial on my channel.

Plus I think new tilesets have been kind of underappreciated on here as of late.

I suppose an obvious criteria is any graphic set which has been formally released on the forums such that people can download it is automatically excluded and it is only allowed for newer tilesets.

Personally I think you're the perfect host for this type of contest GigaLem since I'm always blown away by your artistic creations :)

I think the trophies is a terrific idea and great touch as well, it would encourage more entries because then it wouldn't be a case of the best skilled graphic set creator just winning the best tileset which would happen if it's set up like the standard level design contests.

Some drawbacks I see are:
1. Tilesets are not exactly as straightforward to create as levels so we'd need a very long submission period, at least double that of level design contests perhaps a vital topic of discussion here
2. This probably wouldn't be able to be hosted in the Level Design Contest forum because it's not a level design contest. But I think it would fit nicely in the Graphic Sets forum.
3. How would the voting work in this especially considering there are so many trophies?

Those are just a few things which come to mind, but I'm definitely for this idea. I would like to encourage more new tilesets from the community on top of the great selection we already have.

If you are short of tileset ideas, Wafflem posted a lot of ideas he had somewhere on here but I don't know where so I think someone else may be able to link it.

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 06:00:04 AM »
Some drawbacks I see are:
1. Tilesets are not exactly as straightforward to create as levels so we'd need a very long submission period, at least double that of level design contests perhaps a vital topic of discussion here
2. This probably wouldn't be able to be hosted in the Level Design Contest forum because it's not a level design contest. But I think it would fit nicely in the Graphic Sets forum.
3. How would the voting work in this especially considering there are so many trophies?

to address this
1.Yes it'll be a long submission period, I've seen stuff like Make a good Megaman Level contest and of course Sonic Hacking Contest and they have a large time frame to make a submission
2.It would be appropriate to diverge the Graphic Set sub-forum to its own part of the forum (Like Lix and Projects) where it'll have a sub forum of its own for contests and discussions
3.Strawpoll, when we find candidates for each trophy a strawpoll will be made. and on top of this, if there are entries that are the only one of a certain trophy. There would be the Honorable Mention Trophy for the Best Graphic set for being the only of its category.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 07:01:11 AM »
It can go in the contests board, no problem there.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 11:20:25 AM »
I would definitely participte. :D

The tilesets should also be judged from a level design standpoint. Is it easy to make level with the set, is it flexible, how many pieces are there, etc.

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 10:39:34 PM »
It would be difficult. All the custom graphic styles I've seen so far are awful, at least by comparison to the original Lemmings and ONML.

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 04:23:43 PM »
Nice idea, that. I'm currently messing about with this stuff, but - as always - I'm not promising anything!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 01:12:16 AM »
I might join something like that. I've always wanted to make a graphic set but it's a lot of work and time. The contest would need to be on for a while.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 03:50:07 AM »
I find this idea interesting, but I don't think straight-up game rips should be allowed; if they do end up being allowed for the contest, they should be given their own category. I don't, however, have any issue with allowing recolored sprites from existing Lemmings titles, so long as the majority of the set is original. If one wanted to make a tileset that fits with the originals, for instance, it would make sense to recolor the steel and entrances rather than drawing completely new ones.

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 12:49:55 AM »
Game rips rips can be allowed to an extent
I Can allow recycling objects at the very least, for those who can't sprite as well.
-entrances
-steel
-exit
-trap
-Pickup skill
-Preplaced lemming
-one way arrows

on another topic, if we can put this contest together, I would want to do early-ish next year.
as for submission time frame what would be good enough? 2 months or 3?