Author Topic: GigaLem's red-hair sprites (or ways to create custom ones)  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
GigaLem's red-hair sprites (or ways to create custom ones)
« on: November 04, 2017, 03:26:26 PM »
I'm curious whether the red-headed lemming sprites from GigaLem's Millas pack can be downloaded anywhere? Those would certainly look good on highland levels as well, given that the original L2 highland sprites also had red hair :) .

If not, I'd be happy to open the single images of the standard lemming sprites in my ancient version of Photoshop (7.0) and mess around with the hue and saturation a bit, just to create some alternatives. If I understood this correctly, a set of sprites is just a collection of a lot of single images of lemmings, performing the various tasks, which are put in sequence to each other frame by frame like in an animated movie? Meaning I'd just have to edit the single images, backup the old ones, and replace them with the new ones.

But I guess I'm missing something here, because otherwise other users probably would have done something similar already... ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Re: GigaLem's red-hair sprites (or ways to create custom ones)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 11:59:33 PM »
I do know about how to do this easily

Be sure to keep a back up of a default_scheme.nxmi handy

you take a scheme.nxmi and open it with a text Doc

You'll see coding that works with the color and and sprite placement
focus on the colors. you see that the colors are Hexadecimals.
Open up paint and past an image with a certain color you want to use.
use eyedropper then open up custom colors.
Next go here HTML Color Codes and apply the RGB co-ordinance, You'll get your Hexadecimal code there, keep note of each code you want to apply.
Next when you have your scheme file open, Take the color that's already there and apply it to were it says "FROM" (Replace the default) and put the color you want to it to change to and apply it to where it says "TO", it you want to change two colors of the Lemming you do the same thing to the other piece of color change code (The default scheme comes with two for the athlete, one for highlighting and one for the zombie) if you apply this correctly save your scheme file, add it to the custom files of flexi tool and a build .nxp

Also THIS IS MY 1000th Post YAY, What do I win?

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 01:16:41 AM »
Cool, thanks! :) This would simply replace the standard sprites, then? I guess making it so that this new custom sprit can be chosen in addition to regular ones (like with Christmas lemmings, which are tied to a specific tileset) is a bit harder?
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 01:51:57 AM »
Although supported, use of custom lemming sprites is a bit tricky in the old-formats version. It's much more straightforward in the new formats version.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 05:58:28 PM »
Okay, I'd be willing to learn it in the meantime :) ! Do you suggest creating a new graphic set of my own and attaching these sprites to it, like with the Christmas tileset?

I noticed that whether regular or Christmas lemmings come out of the hatches is not determined by the type of hatch, but by the main graphic set defined for the level. So I'd need to make some kind of "alibi graphic set", which doesn't necessarily have to consist of a lot of terrain or even have all objects, but can simply be chosen to generate the sprites. Sort of like nin10doadict's cat trap tileset "only" has the trap and a couple terrain pieces (but e.g. no custom hatches, exits, arrows, etc.).
My packs so far: