Poll

What are the three most important features to implement next?

New skill: Shimmier
9 (14.3%)
New skill: Jumper
7 (11.1%)
New skill: Pourer
0 (0%)
New skill: Runner
0 (0%)
New skill: Slider
2 (3.2%)
New skill: Thrower
1 (1.6%)
New skill: Bazooka
1 (1.6%)
Level wrap
3 (4.8%)
Idling animations for traps, locked exits, ...
4 (6.3%)
Disappearing terrain
0 (0%)
Neutral lemmings
4 (6.3%)
Parallax backgrounds
0 (0%)
New object: Multi-use pick-up skills
5 (7.9%)
New object: Negative pick-up skills
0 (0%)
New object: Single-use triggered animation objects
0 (0%)
New object: Exits that only permit a given number of lemmings
9 (14.3%)
New object: Exits that only permit lemmings with a certain skill
1 (1.6%)
New object: Hatches that only spawn a given number of lemmings
2 (3.2%)
New object: Skill converter
1 (1.6%)
Player UI: Search for levels by name
3 (4.8%)
Editor: Grouping of terrain pieces
5 (7.9%)
Editor: Add downloading styles
3 (4.8%)
Editor: Custom single background color
3 (4.8%)
Editor: Relative coordinate adjustments
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: September 17, 2017, 06:14:19 PM

Author Topic: NeoLemmix New Feature Poll - Vote Now!  (Read 7108 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix New Feature Poll - Vote Now!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 06:39:46 PM »
Thanks to everyone who participated in the vote! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

1) New skill: Shimmier (9 votes)
We already started discussing the mechanics. So it remains for me to work out the precise checks and then implement it. I will make a post once this is done, but before I actually start implementing anything.

16) New object: Exits that only permit a given number of lemmings (9 votes)
Here the main remaining issue to be discussed is the graphics. Wafflem already proposed a sign for it, but I prefer something slightly less glaring. At the moment I am thinking about using the locking animation of locked exits, but in the reverse direction.
Depending on what we choose here, I might even have to implement the idling animations (point 9 in the poll) first.

2) New skill: Jumper (7 votes)
Given that I have already the Shimmier on my list and the various critical voices regarding the jumper animation without tumbling, don't expect this any time soon. Ask me again once the shimmier is implemented and has seen about 2 months of usage to find and fix glitches.

3) New object: Multi-use pick-up skills (5 votes)
This shouldn't be too much work, especially compared to the three items above.

21) Editor: Grouping of terrain pieces (5 votes)
I will definitely implement this at some point, simply because I like this feature so much. So don't be surprised if it is available even before some of the more-voted items got added.

Everything else has at the moment low priority for me. So don't expect them within the next half year.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 02:11:23 AM »
Everything else has at the moment low priority for me. So don't expect them within the next half year.

I would suggest you put em up for what I call "waves"

like what ever won just now is "Wave 1"

So you take what did get votes and then replace (If you want to) the ones that didn't get votes with another round of things people suggested elsewhere.
Then what ever wins there would be "Wave 2"

then repeat the process for as long as you desire to.

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 08:28:56 AM »
Here the main remaining issue to be discussed is the graphics. Wafflem already proposed a sign for it, but I prefer something slightly less glaring. At the moment I am thinking about using the locking animation of locked exits, but in the reverse direction.
Depending on what we choose here, I might even have to implement the idling animations (point 9 in the poll) first.

How about something like this: (Attachment)
Once the number reaches the limit the exit would lock up with an animation or alternatively show a blocked-sign, kinda like in Lix multiplayer.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 11:16:37 AM »
It could be done with less space by using a single number, that counts down rather than up. This worked well in Hungry Software's Ducks.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 04:15:51 PM »
I think I like the no sign better than locking up because that could easier distinguish it from  a locked exit which is different. (atm) But if the numbers stay above maybe this doesn't matter...
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 03:36:07 AM »
Thanks to everyone who participated in the vote! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

1) New skill: Shimmier (9 votes)
We already started discussing the mechanics. So it remains for me to work out the precise checks and then implement it. I will make a post once this is done, but before I actually start implementing anything.

2) New skill: Jumper (7 votes)
Given that I have already the Shimmier on my list and the various critical voices regarding the jumper animation without tumbling, don't expect this any time soon. Ask me again once the shimmier is implemented and has seen about 2 months of usage to find and fix glitches.

21) Editor: Grouping of terrain pieces (5 votes)
I will definitely implement this at some point, simply because I like this feature so much. So don't be surprised if it is available even before some of the more-voted items got added.

Hate to bump this thread of all things but I've haven't heard a word on these features in months and I have to ask, When are we getting these?

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 04:16:43 PM »
Hate to disappoint you, but at the moment I am just trying to stay ahead of the more severe bugs, and don't have any time for implementing big new features. It's so bad, that I haven't even looked at all the NepsterLems replays I got from josh and Akseli, because I rather used my time on bug-fixing (and a little bit of actually playing :P). So the current state is the following:
Shimmier: I did some preperatory work in cleaning up the sprite loading code, so that I now know what I have to do in order to load shimmier sprites. The core mechanics are pretty much laid out on paper, but not a single line of code is written in that regard.
Counting Exits: Nothing done so far, and will probably stay that way for a time, because it's my least favorite of these features.
Jumper: Internally the "jumper" was renamed to "ascender" to free this name for the actual jumper skill. Apart from that nothing was done, but the clean-up of the sprite-loading code helps here too. However don't expect anything soon, because I don't even have a clue at the moment about how a jumper should behave.
Piece grouping: Nothing changed here: The editor has fully functional code, but neither the nxlv format has a way to save such groups nor can the NeoLemmix player understand groups.