Off-Topic Boards > General Discussion

You know whats BS? [RANT]

<< < (6/6)

grams88:
That can be quite annoying the battery draining very quickly mobius. There is also the risk of getting a new battery to find out it is the exact same. I wonder if the term cell phones is an american term. Updating all the time, my actual computer had problems with the automatic updates and this something I've turned off, otherwise it kept going round in a circle.

I noticed in society we kind of need a mobile phone now as a lot more things are geared towards that type of thing. I had to have a mobile phone for (Internet banking) they are getting more secure. I'm not really a mobile phone type of person, I only use it when I have to and one thing do really use it for is phoning up and leaving a voicemail for the (phone losers of america, voicemail) a prank calling community where I'm regular on the voicemails.  Apart from that I don't really use my phone for anything else except only if you have like for the internet banking. (I would rather you didn't have to use the mobile for that but there we go)

mobius:
I'm betting that the battery I purchased was indeed crap as I just put my old battery back in and it's working better than the new one :XD: . So I'll just deal with it (it's not really that big of a deal right now to be honest.
It was from China. In short: when buying on ebay never buy anything from China. This was the second time I got ripped off from buying something from China on ebay. It can be difficult as there is a lot of sellers from there and sometimes it isn't obvious it's China either. They have stores in America (or are at least labeled so) which have American names, but you can see they must be operated by Chinese immigrants who've shipped them from some cheap knock-off company in China.

Minim:
I remember buying something imported from China as well and feeling ripped off. I bought a wireless mouse from a charity shop (Which fortunately, I had a discount due to the fact I volunteer in one of them) which came in from the same country. When I got it to work, the signal wasn't great and I had to lay it on a flat surface such as a hardback book. A few months later the batteries were dead, and the mouse was thrown away.

Going further into computer mice: I prefer the wired ones, but they suddenly become a problem if you're trying to move them around the house (Especially with a laptop). The wire is so thin that when it catches a door knob, it breaks and the mouse becomes completely useless. I stopped buying them and gone for wireless ones instead.

namida:

--- Quote ---They have stores in America (or are at least labeled so) which have American names, but you can see they must be operated by Chinese immigrants who've shipped them from some cheap knock-off company in China.
--- End quote ---

At least here, there are a lot of local companies that specialize in importing cheap Chinese goods and reselling them. They aren't always run by Chinese people - I've encountered such shops run by just about any ethnicity you can name, but they all source their goods from China.

In general, I agree that you should mostly avoid generic Chinese brands for electronics. However, some well-known Chinese brands can be just as good - or even better than - the common big names; the problem is specifically with generic (or obscure) Chinese brands. I can even think of at least one Chinese brand I very highly recommend - Xiaomi (most famous for their smartphones, but they make a lot of smart devices). It's also usually fine in my experience to go for cheap Chinese stuff for accessories, such as phone cases, where you're not relying on the electronics being reliable.

--- Quote ---Going further into computer mice: I prefer the wired ones, but they suddenly become a problem if you're trying to move them around the house (Especially with a laptop). The wire is so thin that when it catches a door knob, it breaks and the mouse becomes completely useless. I stopped buying them and gone for wireless ones instead.
--- End quote ---

My recommendation here is to go with Logitech. Extremely reliable and pretty good on battery life in my experience, and while you'll pay a tad more than generic brands, they're not too expensive - over here, you'd probably pay about NZ$25 for a generic brand wireless keyboard+mouse combo; you might pay about NZ$40 for the same thing from Logitech. My only criticism - if you get a device with programmable buttons, their software seems to erase the setttings for these every time it updates. I've reported this bug, but their response was simply "Yes, that's what happens when there's an update". There's probably an open-source replacement out there that doesn't have this bug, I just haven't looked into it yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version