Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] DoveLems [Difficulty: Easy-Medium]  (Read 41307 times)

Offline uberwolfie

• View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] DoveLems [Difficulty: Easy-Medium]
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2020, 11:37:00 AM »
Thanks Icho! I played through the first 3 ranks of the intro pack, I like it! Pretty useful given that I'd be completely in the dark about a lot of neolemmix features otherwise.  I also found the manual, which was very helpful, but it's odd that it doesn't come with the program itself? And doesn't seem to be anywhere obvious on the website? In any case, I'll definitely try and complete the pack, and let you know if there's anything I notice :thumbsup:

The early levels may be trivial (and they certainly don't stay that way!) but I think I underestimated how much the classic mechanics of Lemmings 1 got seared into my brain as a young child - it was surprising how difficult it was to visualize the effect of the unfamiliar skills, and notice their use in solving specific problems.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2020, 06:52:26 PM »
V 2.9 is out!

Backroute fixes thanks to uberwolfie's replays:

- 2 03 (added a OWW)

- 3 03, 3 14 (added steel)
- 3 10 (the blocker is now a pick-up skill)
- 3 21 (added steel)

- 4 10 (moved a trap, added steel)
- 4 11 (added a OWW)
- 4 12 (added a OWW)
- 4 13 (added steel)
- 4 16 (added steel)
- 4 17 (added a trap)
- 4 20 (added traps)
- 4 27 (the diggers are now a pick-up skill)
- 4 29 (added steel)

Some comments to the feedback/solutions:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I haven't gone through your whole document yet, but will read through it at some point. :)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2020, 08:58:57 PM »
Due to the new release 2.9, 3 of my replays broke,so had to resolve those 3.

1, Devilish 10 The Eighth Wonder of the World broke to due added blocker pickup skill.
2. Devilish 21 Lempipe broke due to added steel
3. Maso 27 The Spring broke due to added digger pickup skills.

Thanks Icho for updating as We want packs to be backroute fixed even it's Dodochacalos' pack. As long as the intended solution is enforced and not changed.

Offline uberwolfie

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2020, 04:03:40 PM »
Great stuff! I look forward to making sure my solutions are up to date!

Although my document was a nice catharsis for me, mainly I wanted to see if anyone had found these backroutes before. Also the tone at times is maybe a little strong...but I'm sure for fans of Dodochacalo reviews and opinions on his levels might still be interesting to read.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2020, 08:39:25 AM »
Now Icho that you posted on Youtube Dovelems maso 27 The Spring I see you still have the version without the pickup skills. I thought you would post the version with the pickup skills since you changed
it before this video.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 08:47:25 AM by ericderkovits »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2020, 11:29:24 AM »
Now Icho that you posted on Youtube Dovelems maso 27 The Spring I see you still have the version without the pickup skills. I thought you would post the version with the pickup skills since you changed
it before this video.

The videos are recorded a while before they are sheduled to air. I am not recording them again if the intended solution is still the same and even more so if the only change is that a pick-up skill has been added.

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2020, 05:55:40 AM »
Hey people, I decided to give Dovelems a shot recently after I got a bit stuck on Lemmings Plus 1. I’m around the middle of the Devilish rank. Very good pack so far! I’m really liking it. I’ll get replays after
I beat the pack.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2020, 06:03:43 AM »
Wow, way to go! :thumbsup: Good choice of a pack to tackle here, Shmolem. Pretty easy and gentle for the most part, and even Devilish and Maso aren't too difficult IIRC. Probably less difficult than the last two ranks of Sublems. It's been much longer since the time I played Dovelems than Sublems, and I first played the pack through Lemmini, so I don't remember most of the levels too well. Anyway, best of luck on your quest to conquer the pack. I know you can do it just the same! :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2020, 06:16:17 AM »
I was expecting this pack to ramp up to be pretty hard like Sublems did for me but so far it hasn’t been too bad. There was one level I struggled with a little bit which was Devilish 4 but other then that it’s been fine. I’m not sure what’s with me and Lemmings Plus but I take a break, Go back to it, beat some levels, get stuck, take a break, go back to it, beat some levels, get stuck, and on and on. It really is weird

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2020, 06:59:20 AM »
Your strategy of leaving a pack for a time when it starts getting too hard for you and playing another pack in the meantime is perfectly viable. I do this as well, and I did that a lot when I was playing through United. Eventually, when I felt ready, I came back to United and was able to get through the roadblocks somewhat more easily. I know that you'll eventually beat all of Lemmings Plus 1 as well when you do come back to it. It's a great first pack by namida from what I remember. Starts off pretty easy and gets difficult near the end. Dovelems doesn't ramp up as much throughout the entire pack, so the difficulty is fairly low and flat.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2020, 07:01:26 AM »
Yes, Dovelems is a good choice, as it's an easier pack. Of course Icho had to fix these levels recently as Uberwolfie had some backroutes. But even then it's pretty easy of a pack, easier to me than sublems. And yes Devilish four is kinda hard, not because of the solution but because of the tight time limit. I think I remember it being like 4 seconds left in my Superlemmini conversion of this
level that gave me fits, because of the time limit. It took me probably more tries than any other level I think, as the timing of the few skills had to be worked out so the level can be finished on time.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2020, 07:44:13 AM »
Nice to hear you are enjoying the conversion, Shmolem! :thumbsup:

It's totally fine if you are stuck at one point that you try your luck at another. I do that as well. :)

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2020, 12:24:07 AM »
I’m at the very end of Devilish now, just beat Devilish 25. (Which I’m pretty much certain I backrouted)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2020, 12:30:30 AM »
Not again. This level had to be fixed by Icho, since Kaywhyn solved it initially without even using the blockers. you may want to post your replay for devilish 25 for Icho, to see if it's a backroute that he may have to fix again. Hopefully your using the most current version of Dovelems

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2020, 03:02:58 AM »
Like eric mentioned, are you certain you have the latest version of the pack, Shmolem? I just tried Devilish 25 again, and I cannot backroute it like I previously did before, and I'm very well-known by Icho for backrouting his levels. So, if you think you were able to backroute the level, it probably means you have an outdated version of the pack. As a matter of fact, some time ago, I gave a suggestion that the NL main menu should display what version of the pack players are playing, because sometimes it's the case where you might have downloaded a level pack from a really long time ago, and then sometime down the line, the pack author releases a new update of the pack, but sometimes you might not had downloaded the most recent version at the time. namida did see my suggestion on the suggestions board, and he said that it's on his "to-do list." I think it would be quite helpful so that you can easily check whether you have the most recent version of the pack or not. Some packs already display the pack version in the scroller at the bottom, though, so those aren't a problem. It's the ones that don't that can be problematic in knowing whether you're playing the most up-to-date version.

Anyway, you can still send the replay over and then I can quickly verify. Knowing you, you'll probably do it after you finish the rank, which is perfectly fine, as that's generally what I do as well.