Author Topic: Turn non-level background area into a dark gray [SUGGESTION]  (Read 2631 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Turn non-level background area into a dark gray [SUGGESTION]
« on: April 07, 2017, 07:37:48 PM »
If a level is smaller than the width or height that can be displayed on the screen, there will be a border on the screen window. Currently this border is the same black as the usual background of level. This makes it hard to distinguish the level area and the border outside. For this reason, we already added a red border in the clear physics mode. But one usually doesn't play in clear physics mode (for long). So we should add some kind of way to distinguish level and border even in normal game-play.
So I suggest displaying the border outside the level area in a dark gray, instead in black. As the background colors in levels are either black or tend to be blueish, this should solve the issue for now.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Turn non-level background area into a dark gray [SUGGESTION]
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 07:44:14 PM »
Very good idea :thumbsup:   This would help in quite a few situations :)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 08:22:59 PM »
:agree:
this would be especially nice on small levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 02:38:28 PM »
Discussed this in IRC. Although possible to do directly, this looks kind of ugly. (Skill panel wider than level) | (Level wider than skill panel)

A proposed solution that should still look fairly nice (even if a bit unusual at first):
- Skill panel is always drawn at the bottom of the screen, even if the level doesn't take up the full height. (Maybe also always shown at maximum zoom?)
- Blackness extends to the edge of the screen where the skill panel is.
- Level area display is centered in the remaining space.
- The space not used by the level area is given the grey coloring.

Here's mockups of how those two would look under this system: (Skill panel wider than level) | (Level wider than skill panel)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 03:10:33 PM »
I agree with extending the blackness to the edge of the screen, but not with pushing the skill panel to the bottom. I think it would look fine like that.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 03:12:57 PM »
16:48 <namida42> SimonN: NL prevents overshooting anyway

When you have the skill panel close to the center, can the NL mouse overshoot below the panel?

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »
When you have the skill panel close to the center, can the NL mouse overshoot below the panel?

-- Simon

No.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 11:15:41 AM »
V10.13.16 stable includes this feature, using Proxima's variation on my mockups above.
My Lemmings projects