Author Topic: Something in progress - No name yet  (Read 11556 times)

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
Re: Something in progress - No name yet
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2022, 09:42:26 AM »
Thank you Mobius :D

if these levels are playable with NL and you're still looking for a tester I'll offer to attempt the levels!

Yes I'm making levels for NeoLemmix now. If you're interested in testing I'll reach out in pm to send some of them to you. Quite a few levels have already been tested in the past years, Akseli helped a lot in the beginning and Uberwolfie tested a few of them back in 2020. Help is always appreciated :thumbsup:

I probably told you years ago but your pack inspired a lot of my own designs. :thumbsup:

:-[
I do remember Mobilems fondly! Does it exist for NeoLemmix ? I played some packs like Icho's Lemmings Reunion (didn't complete it though :XD:) and I'm currently into Sublems, but I didn't keep up with everything that was made these past years.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2022, 11:51:01 AM »
Wow, switching back to Lemmini after getting used to NeoLemmix requires some determination! Lemmini feels so crude to me now :crylaugh: You'll be able to solve the infamous glitch levels correctly though!

I know what you mean. It's like why bother going back to an engine when it doesn't have all of the great quality of life features that NL has. Well, the thing is I'm a diehard traditionalist when it comes to Lemmings, and I like to occasionally go back to Lemmini/Superlemmini to either play or revisit level packs. Meaning, classic 8 skills, time limits on every level, etc. I was a heavy Lemmini user for at least 6 years before I made the switch to NL near the end of 2019. Believe it or not, several months ago earlier this year I went back and did all of Lemmings Reunion on Lemmini despite how a lot of the later levels are especially very frustrating to execute :laugh: I first completely solved the pack back June 2017 and I've replayed it and finished it again a few times on Lemmini since. Yes, your Pimolems pack included. It's a great pack, just how many of the solutions can be frustrating to carry out on the engine.

The thing that especially turned me away from NL during those years I was a heavy Lemmini player was how levels can have an infinite amount of time, and I'm one of the few who doesn't mind time limits, especially as I'm a huge lover of numbers myself. I didn't get into level designing myself until 2021 though. Currently, they're all LDC levels, but I'm thinking of making my own level pack one of these days. I haven't exactly ruled it out, but at the same time I haven't exactly said I would make one as well. I still rather play and solve levels than make them, particularly since I'm not an artist. Never was, and still am not :-\ Still, a future level pack from me is a possibility.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2022, 09:46:33 AM »
I know what you mean. It's like why bother going back to an engine when it doesn't have all of the great quality of life features that NL has.

Yes, but I get it. It's like replaying old games that may feel tedious today, but that you hold dear to your heart :laugh:

Well, the thing is I'm a diehard traditionalist when it comes to Lemmings

I'm the same! It's amazing that the game is evolving with new skills, objects and layouts, but to me Lemmings is all about the classic skills and tilesets :cute: The absence of time limits I don't really mind though.

I still rather play and solve levels than make them, particularly since I'm not an artist. Never was, and still am not :-\ Still, a future level pack from me is a possibility.

You don't need to be an artist to make levels! The art comes with practice. And I find that playing a lot of levels is very inspiring, it gives all sorts of ideas to make stuff yourself!

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2022, 11:51:18 PM »
You don't need to be an artist to make levels! The art comes with practice. And I find that playing a lot of levels is very inspiring, it gives all sorts of ideas to make stuff yourself!

True, as all that's needed really is knowledge of how to use the editor and a level idea. I viewed a lot of video tutorials on how to use the editor before I started making levels myself, and I found that it's a lot easier than I thought! I would be lying if I said it wasn't due to some encouragement from others that I even got into level creation. In particular, it was thanks to Icho's encouragement that I even got into level designing myself. Before I heard this from him, I always had this thought that I wouldn't be good at it at all, but I have shown otherwise. Without that encouragement, I would had been content on just playing and solving levels and wouldn't had ever gotten into level making!

And yes, playing packs is definitely one of the main ways to get level ideas. Some of my levels have been inspired from other pack authors. My designs have been getting better over time, as has been noted by some here on the Forums, although I know that I myself can still improve on them in some way. Admittedly, I don't think I'll ever top the designs of any designer visually here, as again I've never been an artist.

One thing that has been noted is that my puzzles have always been great, so that's apparently something I got down since I started making levels. I've gained a lot of experience from playing so many level packs, and so if I ever do end up making one in the future, don't expect me to go easy on the difficulty! I've learned way too many tricks from other level designers and have put some of them to good use in some of my levels :P 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2022, 09:43:50 AM »
I've learned way too many tricks from other level designers and have put some of them to good use in some of my levels :P

That's the spirit :thumbsup:

Plus, I think everyone has something to bring to the custom scene. Don't let self doubts get in the way, it's the same for any other form of craft: the only requirement to make something is to... start making something! and motivation to do so, of course :laugh:

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2022, 04:07:46 PM »
Thank you Mobius :D

if these levels are playable with NL and you're still looking for a tester I'll offer to attempt the levels!

Yes I'm making levels for NeoLemmix now. If you're interested in testing I'll reach out in pm to send some of them to you. Quite a few levels have already been tested in the past years, Akseli helped a lot in the beginning and Uberwolfie tested a few of them back in 2020. Help is always appreciated :thumbsup:

I probably told you years ago but your pack inspired a lot of my own designs. :thumbsup:

:-[
I do remember Mobilems fondly! Does it exist for NeoLemmix ? I played some packs like Icho's Lemmings Reunion (didn't complete it though :XD:) and I'm currently into Sublems, but I didn't keep up with everything that was made these past years.

https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4676.msg80123#msg80123

It's "up to date" but still needs work, as you can see I never finished backroute fixing and I'm never happy with it as a final product but I'm very tired of working on it.

Good luck on Icho's pack; its super tough! :XD:
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2022, 12:53:05 PM »
Plus, I think everyone has something to bring to the custom scene. Don't let self doubts get in the way, it's the same for any other form of craft: the only requirement to make something is to... start making something! and motivation to do so, of course :laugh:

Agreed. I'm one of those who has the tendency to doubt myself a lot, as I don't have much confidence in my own abilities most of the time. Nevertheless, I absolutely appreciate the positivity and optimism. We just do what we can, to the best of our abilities.

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2022, 09:21:44 AM »
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4676.msg80123#msg80123

It's "up to date" but still needs work, as you can see I never finished backroute fixing and I'm never happy with it as a final product but I'm very tired of working on it.

Awesome! I'll definitely check it out. I guess it has changed a lot since I last played it :)

Good luck on Icho's pack; its super tough! :XD:

It sure is! But it's also really enjoyable. I played it during a lockdown and stopped at some point when "normal life" returned, but I plan on getting back to it someday.

We just do what we can, to the best of our abilities.

When you put your heart into something, it usually shows! :thumbsup:

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2022, 10:38:03 AM »
I edited the very first message to attach a few levels, so this project is not just words to you anymore :D These levels have already been tested but backroutes may remain.
Any feedback is welcome!

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2022, 03:52:44 PM »
Overall nice levels with cute designs :D
I might have found some backrouts though! (Forbidden Friendship and the second attached solution to Viaduc Caduc)
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2022, 04:27:19 PM »
Thank you Armani :D

Well done saving one blocker on Paucity!
Forbidden Friendship is an obvious backroute, my fault for not checking the trigger areas :crylaugh: I'll add more fire pits.
Viaduc Caduc: first replay is spot on, the second one is an interesting backroute which will be easy to fix I think.

Edit: I fixed Forbidden Friendship and Viaduc Caduc. I updated the attachments :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 05:51:17 PM by Pieuw »

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2022, 02:28:26 PM »
This feels intended now :laugh:
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2022, 05:13:27 PM »
This feels intended now :laugh:

This is perfect :thumbsup:

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2022, 08:36:14 PM »
Will 100% play this! :thumbsup:

First things first though there are still Uncharted backroutes to re-solve and some other stuff. ;)

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2022, 11:08:07 PM »
We just do what we can, to the best of our abilities.

When you put your heart into something, it usually shows! :thumbsup:

Definitely! :thumbsup: Thanks again for watching and commenting on my video series on your PimoLems pack. After I finish the rest of the series up, I'll get the Lemmini solutions up too :)