Author Topic: pokemon challenges  (Read 3592 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
pokemon challenges
« on: October 21, 2016, 09:45:52 PM »
Would anyone be interested in watching me do a challenge run of pokemon red/blue? I'm thinking of recording/streaming this, but I am new to recording and what-not, could use advice.

Feel free to leave suggestions on what kind of challenges to impose on this. It's also been a very long time since I played this game so it'll probably end up being comical. Not certain I'm actually going to do this, just thinking about it. Recording is easier, maybe at some point I'll try streaming it.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: pokemon challenges
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 09:48:30 PM »
I've never played or watched a Pokemon game, so why not, having someone I know play it would be a good way to see what it's like.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 01:39:21 AM »
The most popular Pokemon challenge is probably ye olde standard Nuzlocke (can only catch first Pokemon on route after obtaining Pokeballs, must release/permanently deposit anything that faints). The other one I can think of off the top of my head that would apply to Red/Blue is the monotype challenge - using Pokemon of only one type. I've tried this with Water before, but I've never finished it (not because of difficulty though - I just stopped playing the run at some point and didn't resume).

You could also mix and match (e.g. restrict yourself to one type of Pokemon and release things that faint).

I don't know about Nuzlocke's rules, but monotype allows the use of other types for HM purposes, but not for battle.

One major difference as far as the workload of streaming vs. recording-video-but-not-streaming is that in streaming you can get away with not editing the footage (b/c that wouldn't really be practical). Of course, maybe you don't think editing is necessary anyway and so you don't do any. Some people will do streams on Twitch and then they'll upload the footage afterwards to YouTube - most seem to just upload the raw stream footage, and most people don't seem to complain about that. Some will make the Twitch chat visible as well in the YouTube footage.
I'm not sure how any of it works, though.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 06:04:49 AM »
The most popular Pokemon challenge is probably ye olde standard Nuzlocke (can only catch first Pokemon on route after obtaining Pokeballs, must release/permanently deposit anything that faints). The other one I can think of off the top of my head that would apply to Red/Blue is the monotype challenge - using Pokemon of only one type. I've tried this with Water before, but I've never finished it (not because of difficulty though - I just stopped playing the run at some point and didn't resume).

You could also mix and match (e.g. restrict yourself to one type of Pokemon and release things that faint).

I don't know about Nuzlocke's rules, but monotype allows the use of other types for HM purposes, but not for battle.

One major difference as far as the workload of streaming vs. recording-video-but-not-streaming is that in streaming you can get away with not editing the footage (b/c that wouldn't really be practical). Of course, maybe you don't think editing is necessary anyway and so you don't do any. Some people will do streams on Twitch and then they'll upload the footage afterwards to YouTube - most seem to just upload the raw stream footage, and most people don't seem to complain about that. Some will make the Twitch chat visible as well in the YouTube footage.
I'm not sure how any of it works, though.
I was about to say that
anyway Nuzlocke rules
-When a pokemon's hp reaches zero, The pokemon is dead, you must release em or permabox em
-One pokemon per route, failure to do so and you must wait till you find a new route
-Name the pokemon, its your best friend until they die

Addition rules
to rule 2
Doops Clause
If you have caught that pokemon before, you can running til you find something new (Includes evolutions)
Shiny Clause
This doesn't apply to Red/blue/yellow so if you want shinies in kanto play Fire red or Leaf green, on the off chance you find a shiny you can catch it and or use it
General
Set style only
No switching
Level Limit
You can't go higher than the gym leader's strongest pokemon, the level limit rises when a gym leader is defeated, highest is the champions strongest pokemon

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 10:27:28 AM »
I remember doing pokemon challenges myself while playing the B/W series, particularly Pokemon White.

I was not fond of the Nuzlocke Challenge, because it was too tedious having to delete Pokemon once they've fainted. My preferred challenge was the rather innovative 'same color' where as it says, you should only be using Pokemon of the same color. Monotype just depends on which type you think will be the easiest to complete. For R/B, I'm split between Grass and Fire, as both of their starters have two types when fully evolved.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 09:32:04 AM »
I've officially ducked out of the Pokemon series now, have not cared about Pokemon Sun and Moon personally. I hated Pokemon X/Y and Pokemon OR/AS because of the broken EXP share mainly among other things.
If they ever fix the EXP share, I might give the game another chance.

Anyway rant over, on topic.

Would be nice to watch a Nuzlocke run.
Then again another thing which I found interesting was on Pokemon W2/B2, there was a hard mode which you had to unlock and it supposedly made the game harder when you played the game with this setting on. I think it just made the opposing pokemon's levels higher.
I did think W2/B2 was one of the stronger entries in the series, far better than W/B.

Another thing that comes to mind is if you're playing Pokemon R/B/Y, you could ask other people to tell you what pokemon to catch if you don't necessarily want to do a nuzlocke run. We could ask you to catch anything, even a Magikarp/Tenticool etc.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 02:27:07 AM »
Oh, gawd the EXP Share was so brokenly OP in OR/AS and X/Y. I stopped playing OR/AS about 3 gyms in because I was badly overleveled to the point that nothing posed a challenge. I get the impression they made it with the assumption that you would avoid 100% of non-required battles, so if you don't, the game breaks. That, or they thought your team would have high turnover so no one would get that much experience. It's not a bad idea later in the game, though. Probably should have kept the previous EXP Share and then made the current implementation an upgrade to it given after the Elite Four is defeated.

Asking other people to tell you what to catch would work on any of the games, not just R/B/Y, as long as people give responses that are actually possible.