Author Topic: Gronkling's Tilesets  (Read 44891 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Tilesets based on special levels
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 06:45:28 PM »
Watch out for the weasel thing...

Hnaaaah, so cute! Cutest trap in the entire game.

The weasel's cave is shaded slightly differently in the anim than it is during the still frame. Nothing else I can criticise after watching it 20 times. <3

Very interesting take on animated water. A unique style that works amazingly when constained to a coarse resolution.

-- Simon

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 07:32:01 PM »
Thanks, I fixed the animation so now it should be better ;) (The new version is just attached where the old version was) The GIF of it was also updated to the new version.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 07:35:29 PM »
Bug is fixed! Again, lovely set. It's a joy to watch the anims.

-- Simon

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 07:56:52 PM »
Professional work. It's impressive! :)

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 08:06:04 PM »
Awsome work here!

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
Re: Gronkling's Tilesets
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 12:29:53 AM »
First tileset from scratch! A sort of cyber chemical plant one.

This set doesn't have any distinct traps, but rather has diverse fire/water. It also has conveyor belts, which are re-purposed one way fields.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 12:30:58 AM »
WOW! That looks awesome, and very Lemmings-y!

How do the conveyor belts work? Placed over (presumably steel) terrain, with a trigger area that extends just over the surface?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 12:37:55 AM »
wow tileset talent! keep it up

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 02:53:11 AM »
:lem-shocked: :lem-mindblown: How do you manage to do that??? It must have taken a lot of talent to draw all these terrains, let alone animating the objects! :thumbsup:

The chomping demon mask and the snake in Menace, the weasel trap and waterfall in Beast II... :lem-mindblown: I can't wait to see what other tilesets you will do, as well as the Awesome and Beast I tilesets!

The conveyor belt as one-way fields is a very clever idea! :thumbsup:

I will be very happy to use these tilesets in a future project once I finish DynaLems, as I am already working with so many tilesets.

An object suggestion that will go very well with the cyber chemical tileset: locked exit/unlock buttons.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 02:54:37 AM »
An object suggestion that will go very well with the cyber chemical tileset: locked exit/unlock buttons.

It's the perfect kind of graphic set to have a radiation object, too. :P
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 03:47:16 AM »
Good luck pushing this neat set!

Even though I'm no match as an artist, I have a secret hint for spriting: Don't be afraid to use light and dark colors within the same tile, or several different hues within the same tile. Things will look more engaging. Compare my boring 2006 bricks (left) with geoo's nice construction bricks (right).

-- Simon

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 09:29:18 AM »
Thanks! I cleaned up the first post, and re-named the sets for the new guideline.

How do the conveyor belts work? Placed over (presumably steel) terrain, with a trigger area that extends just over the surface?
Conveyor belts work just as you said, trigger area over surface on steel.

Don't be afraid to use light and dark colors within the same tile
I'm limiting my colours to a classic sized palette on purpose, to me it looks better. (I secretly prefer the bricks on the left)

I'm actually designing these partly for my own use for a level set I'm planning ;) So I'll add more objects if I ever use them.

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 09:14:56 AM »
You really succeeded in capturing the Lemmings spirit with this one! Superb (as usual :))

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2016, 09:24:49 PM »
Wow, those graphic sets look amazing. I particularly like the additional traps you've added to Menacing and Beast II :thumbsup:

Only just started thinking about making my own levels and these graphic sets are just inspiring me more.

Just one question if you're making your own levels, do you lot know what you want to make (on paper) when you start designing or does it fall into place as you're making/messing around in the Neo Lemmix editor?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2016, 09:29:34 PM »
Flopsy: While you're welcome to (indeed, I encourage it) discuss that, I would recommend creating a new topic (probably best place is the Level Designing board) for it. :)
My Lemmings projects