Author Topic: Player V1.36n Pre-Release  (Read 18055 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Player V1.36n Pre-Release
« on: November 18, 2015, 08:32:55 PM »
So - since this is likely gonna be the last V1.xx update (not that I haven't said that before, but bugs keep showing up T_T), I'd like to get some public testing before officially releasing it.

Give this a go, and let me know if you find any new bugs, or major bugs that I've overlooked.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ewioeyogkxlegig/AACIvxzfMXo72Gnrx9Al8OiRa

That folder contains the release candidate versions of the Flexi Toolkit and NeoCustLemmix. Since I realise not everyone who might otherwise be willing to test would want to make their own content, I also included copies of Lemmings Plus III and Lemmings Plus Omega.

There's a "NeoLemmixHotkeys.ini" file in there. This one is configured with a setup similar to the Lix defaults. If you want to use the NeoLemmix defaults, just run the player without any NeoLemmixHotkeys.ini file and it will automatically generate one using the NeoLemmix defaults.

Please keep in mind that this is a TEST VERSION and while it's fine to release packs based on it, please be prepared to update them to the final release if there are any changes - this should simply involve rebuilding the EXE with the Flexi Toolkit, and shouldn't need any changes to any content.

V1.36n
------
* Added support for customizable hotkeys. These are saved in the NeoLemmixHotkeys.ini file, where
  they can be edited by hand if desired, or copied to other folders. (Multiple players in the *same*
  folder will indeed share this INI file.) To configure them, enter the Config menu (F3 on the title
  screen) then press T.
* Added two new default hotkeys; < is backwards frameskip 5 seconds, and > is forwards frameskip
  5 seconds.
* A missing music file no longer causes the game to crash.
* A text file is no longer saved alongside the replay by default. It can still be saved if automatic
  replay naming is turned off, by choosing "Replay + Text File" from the format dropdown box in the
  save replay dialog.
* Fixed the following bugs:
  > Lemmings that fall into a digger pit being dug by a ghost often get stuck in terrain
  > Two-way teleporters sometimes cause the complete disappearance of lemmings
  > Whether or not a climber splats from a fall can be affected by the position they start from
  > Multiple skills can be assigned in a single frame via various methods, often breaking replays
  > If a lemming is highlit while paused, the change is not immediately visible
  > Finding secret level triggers also unlocks the next non-secret level
  > A L1 sliding glitch-like setup allows gaining a small bit of extra height
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 08:41:55 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Player V1.36n Pre-Release
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 09:30:17 PM »
For everyone using a German type keyboard:
- (Standard layout) Skip 5 seconds: Press "." not ">". Note that the ingame information is correct at this point, just not namida's info above.
- (Standard layout) Minus 5 seconds: Press "," not "<".
- (Lix layout) Minus 1 second: Press "รถ", not "~".
There are quite a few more special characters, where the symbol displayed in the hotkey assignment table does not match the symbol on the keyboard. So whenever wanting to assign a special character as a hotkey best use the "Find Key" option and don't worry if the symbol displayed then does not match the desired one!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 09:42:33 PM »
On English layout, < and , are on the same key, and the same goes for > and .. I don't know how practical it is to try and take into account all possible keyboard layouts, so for special characters, the Find Key option may indeed be your best bet. There's probably even some obscure keys in English layouts that I've missed, especially ones that aren't included on all keyboards. But at least, they can be used; they just won't show the correct name in the config menu.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 09:58:11 PM »
My previous post was more intended as a warning for German type keyboard users. But shouldn't there be a way to handle this: Instead of displaying the fixed "00E2", "~" (or whatever), let the computer itself display whatever character "00E2" would return (with a few obvious exceptions)?

And one more thing: "Find Key" does not work for the arrow keys or "tab". Fortunately these keys are correctly labeled anyway.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 10:06:54 PM »
But shouldn't there be a way to handle this: Instead of displaying the fixed "00E2", "~" (or whatever), let the computer itself display whatever character "00E2" would return (with a few obvious exceptions)?

Not entirely sure how to go about doing this. If I can find a way to do it (without displaying garbage for keys like, eg. backspace), I will.

Not much I can do about the Find Key thing, without basically completely rewriting the form from scratch. It seems to just be a limitation of elements on Delphi forms, unless completely custom ones are designed from scratch.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 01:00:51 PM »
A highly anticipated release. Next time over at Icho's, I'll give it a thorough try.

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 01:27:35 AM »
Hmm, so does NL actually require holding down Shift key while pressing the "." key (in English keyboard) to recognize ">"?  Or do you just hit that key by itself to get the same effect?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 01:33:27 AM »
Hmm, so does NL actually require holding down Shift key while pressing the "." key (in English keyboard) to recognize ">"?  Or do you just hit that key by itself to get the same effect?

No, it checks for key scan codes, not for the actual character. So it doesn't matter whether you hold shift or not. The main reason for labelling them as < and > in the changelog is simply that these correlate better to what the keys actually do.
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 01:40:34 AM »
But shouldn't there be a way to handle this: Instead of displaying the fixed "00E2", "~" (or whatever), let the computer itself display whatever character "00E2" would return (with a few obvious exceptions)?

Maybe.  Windows have this API function which seems to do this kind of thing, though based on some of the comments there, even that may not always work as desired.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 01:46:25 AM »

Maybe.  Windows have this API function which seems to do this kind of thing, though based on some of the comments there, even that may not always work as desired.

I'll see what I can do with that. Kinda wish I had known about this before hardcoding a list of names. :P
My Lemmings projects

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 04:18:55 AM »
German keyboards :lix-glare: have some hardware keys (scancodes) moved around, even if the US layout is used on them. The German layout will then assign different-from-US bindings to the scancodes on top of this.

Referring to [.] and [,] as [<] and [>] can be slightly irritating, vanilla Lemmix used some shift-requiring hotkeys. But I don't believe this causes much confusion. If Shift-[.] doesn't do what you promise, the next thing to try is [.] alone. :8:()[:

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 09:29:41 AM »
German keyboards :lix-glare: have some hardware keys (scancodes) moved around, even if the US layout is used on them. The German layout will then assign different-from-US bindings to the scancodes on top of this.

Referring to [.] and [,] as [<] and [>] can be slightly irritating, vanilla Lemmix used some shift-requiring hotkeys. But I don't believe this causes much confusion. If Shift-[.] doesn't do what you promise, the next thing to try is [.] alone. :8:()[:

-- Simon

Under the implementation in older NeoLemmix versions, the case-sensitivity was removed for alphabetic keys but could still be relevant if any others were used that have different functions with or without shift (possibly the number keys; although due to the somewhat weird way it was coded it won't happen for all keys). In this update, only scan codes are relevant, so holding Shift or not will never make a difference.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 09:18:09 PM »
Here is a potential bug with saving replays: In the Lix hotkey version, "Save Replay" is set on Enter. However this does not work for me: I loaded a level in the editor, played it in the new CustLemmixNeo and at the final screen pressed Enter. As usual the preview screen appeared again, but no replay was saved.
Currently I do not know, whether this is a bug in NeoLemmix or a bug in my German type keyboard.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 10:27:32 PM »
That'd be a NeoLemmix bug. Enter performs the same thing as a click on that screen, which is obviously being checked before checking if it's been assigned to the Save Replay key. Shouldn't be too hard to fix (and likewise for if the Save Image key has been set to Enter, for the preview screen).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 02:13:43 AM »
I've fixed that, as well as a builder-walker bug that was mentioned to me via PM. I still need to look into using Windows API calls to get key names. Anything else that's come up? If not, I think it's just about time to release this...

EDIT: Sent a test version to Nepster and Simon. This is mostly identical to the previous version (apart from the fixes to those bugs, one of which is relatively minor and one of which is very obscure) but should hopefully improve things in regards to non-English keyboard layouts.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 02:33:56 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects