Author Topic: Official Level Design Contest #6 (Playing Phase - Discussion Topic)  (Read 20620 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
This topic is for discussion of the levels, feedback, posting replays, etc. For creators wishing to post updates, or if you're looking for the latest updates, please check this topic instead.

So, entries have closed, it's time to play! :)

The submissions are (as usual, alphabetical by author name):

<V4> "Safe Descent" by bsmith (NeoLemmix)
<V4> "Mind the gap!" by Crane (NeoLemmix)
<V1> "Cogopolis" by DynaLem (NeoLemmix)
<V2> "Parking Garage" by Geoffster (NeoLemmix)
<V3> "Las Ranas Hermanas" by geoo (Lix)
<V1> "The Adventures Of Lemdiana Jones" by IchoTolot (NeoLemmix)
<V1> "House on a Hill" by mobius (NeoLemmix)
<V1> "Altruism" by Nepster (Lix)

NOTES:
IchoTolot's level has a custom music file to accompany it. This should be placed in the same folder as CustLemmixNeo.exe.
Nepster has recommended that his level may be more difficult on the 2015-08-09 release due to physics changes, and an older release should be used if possible. Geoo recommends the opposite for his level.

The levels are in an attached ZIP. To play the levels:

NeoLemmix: Run NeoCustLemmix, press F6 on the title screen, and select the LVL file. Alternatively, open them in the editor, then press F2 for playtest mode (requires a copy of NeoCustLemmix in the same folder as the editor).

Lix: Copy the level into the /levels/single/ subfolder, then select them from the "Single Player" menu.

Update phase will end at whatever comes last - 22/08/15, or when 72 hours have passed since the last time an update was posted (currently 22/08/15 15:50). The voting phase will begin about 5 days after the update phase ends.

As a reminder, the prizes available for this contest are:

The prizes available for this contest are:
- US $12.50
- One and a half month's advertising in the forum's news ticker for a project you are involved in, whether lemmings-related or not, and whether free or not
- Early access to the Ghosts gimmick in NeoLemmix <May be chosen by both winners>
- Your choice for the next contest's rules (within reason)

Note that in the case of someone who already has a one-month advertisement on hold, if they win the one-and-a-half-month one here, it is entirely up to them to choose which order they use them in.

Attachment updated 20/08/15 02:57
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:56:16 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Re: Official Level Design Contest #6 (Playing Phase - Discussion Topic)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 06:08:33 AM »
My solution to "Safe Descent".

Note that "Cogopolis" requires the Clockwork tile-set, so if you don't have it installed, the game will crash.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 11:13:22 AM »
Las Ranas Hermanas is solvable with any version 2015-01-25 or later. There will be a new version of lix out soon that will incidentally eliminate some potential backroutes.

Some notes: My level has a tight time limit, in the aim of eliminating at least some backroutes. Sorry to everyone for that.
So you should use a version of Lix that does not nuke the lixes when the time runs out, but closes the exit instead. This is to ensure the time limit is the same for everyone. If you use 2015-01-25 or newer you should be fine. But even if you find routes that exceed the time limit but otherwise would solve the level, I'd be interested in seeing them. This is because once the new Lix version is released, it will eliminate some backroutes. I might consider removing the time limit once that version is out.

Nepster: I just wanted to note. 2015-08-09 and later have physics changes like the new basher and digger. All versions between 2015-01-25 and 2015-07-07 however have the same single player physics. Replays recorded with any of these versions can be viewed with 2015-07-07. However replays recorded with 2015-07-07 will not be viewable with version 2015-06-08 or earlier, so I suggest players to use some version between 2015-01-25 and 2015-06-08 rather than 2015-07-07.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:39:39 PM by geoo »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 12:30:18 PM »
Note that "Cogopolis" requires the Clockwork tile-set, so if you don't have it installed, the game will crash.

Recent versions of both the editor and NeoCustLemmix come with the Clockwork set (and the other three LPIV sets, for that matter) included.

Nepster: I just wanted to note. All versions between 2015-01-25 and 2015-07-07 have the same single player physics, while 2015-08-09 and later have physics changes like the new basher and digger. Replays recorded with any of these versions can be viewed with 2015-07-07. However replays recorded with 2015-07-07 will not be viewable with version 2015-06-08 or earlier, so I suggest players to use some version between 2015-01-25 and 2015-06-08 rather than 2015-07-07.

I think it's better not to be encouraging players to have lots of different versions set up, isn't it...? But Nepster did mention the physics changes in the *latest* version could be problematic; and since the level was designed before it was released, the note mentions the latest version at the time the level was designed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 12:36:03 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 01:43:16 PM »
Well all I'm saying is that it doesn't matter if you use 2015-01-25 or 2015-06-08, because they are mutually compatible in singleplayer. 2015-07-07 wasn't an official release so I discourage from using it for recording replays (for viewing replays it's not an issue).

Nepster discouraged using 2015-08-09 for his level, thus I suggest players to use 2015-01-25 or 2015-06-08.

For my level, it works perfectly fine and if you want consistency, players can use 2015-01-25 or 2015-06-08.
The release that will make a notable (positive) difference to the level isn't even out yet, so there's no point using the newer versions for my level at this point.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 02:17:52 PM »
Ok solved the NeoLemmix part and tried out the lix levels, but I need a break for today now.
Attached the solutions for the NeoLemmix levels and my best try (saving 33 Lix instead of the 34 required) for geoo's level. (Gotta get that last pesky Lix hopefully tomorrow)

Comments:

Safe Descent (bsmith):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mind the Gap (Crane):

Cognopolis (DynaLem):

Parking Garage (Geoffster):

House on a Hill (möbius):

Las Ranas Hermanas (geoo)  so far:

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 03:37:02 PM »
IchoTolot's level has a custom music file to accompany it. This should be placed in the same folder as CustLemmixNeo.exe.

I think it just must be in the same folder as the level itself, cause I can hear it with my CustNeoLemmix player and the music is only in the folder with the level.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »
My thoughts:

bsmith's "Safe Descent" (click to show/hide)

Crane's "Mind the Gap" (click to show/hide)

Geoffster's "Parking Garage" (click to show/hide)

I haven't yet looked at any of the others beyond a quick glance.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 03:46:23 PM »
Just to clarify the confusion with the Lix versions: There are two very different solutions that I know of.
- One requires the old basher/miner/digger-mechanics and will certainly not work in 2015-08-09. However it should be robust enough to work in any of the other versions (though I only checked it with 2015-06-08).
- The other solution is independent of the precise basher/miner/digger-mechanics and should does work as well in 2015-08-09. I haven't had time to confirm this yet, but will do so this evening.

EDIT: Solvability of Altruism with 2015-08-09 confirmed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:31:01 PM by Nepster »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 05:59:30 PM »
I only solved one level so far, but all look very nice, and very tough.

Safe Decent:
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 07:09:08 PM »
"Safe Descent" by bsmith (click to show/hide)

"Mind the gap!" by Crane (click to show/hide)

"Cogopolis" by DynaLem (click to show/hide)

"Parking Garage" by Geoffster (click to show/hide)

"Las Ranas Hermanas" by geoo (click to show/hide)

"House on a Hill" by möbius (click to show/hide)

Remark: All replays are recorded with NeoLemmix V1.35-C.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 10:35:25 PM »
Solved one more.

DynaLem's "Cogopolis" (click to show/hide)

By the way, I notice that so far, Rondo Alla Turca is a very common music choice in this contest. :O

EDIT: And one more!

Geoffster's "Parking Garage" (click to show/hide)

Very impressive levels so far. I think it's safe to say this was a very good choice for this contest's rules! :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 06:22:17 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 05:07:18 PM »
Solutions for updated levels (except for "Parking Garage", where my first solution should still work).

"Safe Descent" by bsmith (click to show/hide)

"Mind the gap!" by Crane (click to show/hide)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 06:35:29 PM »
I had a look again at the three that have been updated; I'll get around to the ones I haven't yet looked at later today. :)

Updated my replay to Parking Garage in the above post; since the overall approach I used still works.

bsmith's "Safe Descent" (click to show/hide)

Crane's "Mind the Gap!" (click to show/hide)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 10:04:54 PM »
And for the last two NeoLemmix ones...

mobius's "House on a Hill" (click to show/hide)

I'll get around to the Lix ones soon. :)
My Lemmings projects