Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Revenge of the Lemmings 2.0!  (Read 61256 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Revenge of the Lemmings 2.0!
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2015, 09:09:34 AM »
Can anyone confirm Armageddon 22 is possible? I've been stuck on it for a while now, and from what I hear even the creator of this level (Clam) can't remember how to solve it (and mobius has previously mentioned that the NeoLemmix conversions haven't been 100% thoroughly tested; although I would think this is the kind of level that if it works on Lemmini, it should work on NeoLemmix too). I've been able to find multiple solutions that would work if it weren't for the time limit, including some that only need around 15 seconds extra; but nothing that ultimately succeeds.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 09:31:19 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2015, 11:06:55 AM »
Can anyone confirm Armageddon 22 is possible? I've been stuck on it for a while now, and from what I hear even the creator of this level (Clam) can't remember how to solve it (and mobius has previously mentioned that the NeoLemmix conversions haven't been 100% thoroughly tested; although I would think this is the kind of level that if it works on Lemmini, it should work on NeoLemmix too). I've been able to find multiple solutions that would work if it weren't for the time limit, including some that only need around 15 seconds extra; but nothing that ultimately succeeds.

In the Lemmini version there were 8 min and my solution took ..I think... a bit above 5 min (prob optimisable to ~ 4-5 min). It was one of my favorites of the pack, but with 3 min time limit as i saw it I wouldn't be so sure of this now ;P

(and mobius has previously mentioned that the NeoLemmix conversions haven't been 100% thoroughly tested; although I would think this is the kind of level that if it works on Lemmini, it should work on NeoLemmix too)

Well, at least of solvability it should be tested before releasing. >:( 
Even more if the creator himself cannot remember the solution or has a replay of it.

My advice: Scrap the time limit! (If Crane cannot confirm a 3min solution)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2015, 11:08:47 AM »
geoo confirmed a 3min solution under Lemmix, but not nessecerially NeoLemmix (beyond "no obvious reason why it shouldn't work). My best attempt so far would need about 3:15 (it's solved, aside from waiting for some lemmings to reach the exit).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2015, 11:32:09 AM »
Confirmed solvable in NeoLemmix/RotL.

Note about the time limit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2015, 11:54:02 AM »
I also managed to solve it now, with about 7 seconds left on the clock.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2015, 05:56:21 PM »
Just an idea for how to improve this situation for the next iteration:

- Increase the time limit to 4 minutes (or whatever keeps the level difficult but not unfair).
- Add a gold-level talisman for completing it in under 3 minutes.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2015, 06:52:16 PM »
a bit above 5 min (prob optimisable to ~ 4-5 min)

Based on this (especially coming from IchoTolot), I'd say you probably don't want to make the limit much lower than 5 minutes. A talisman for a 3 minute victory is a good idea. I think even without time problems, the level is well-placed.
My Lemmings projects

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2015, 07:41:44 PM »
I think it depends on what exactly the 5 minute solution looks like.
For instance, if you give too much time, you can have a single floater cycle around the level over and over again to do a lot of the work.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2015, 06:44:23 AM »
So, I finally completed the pack (apart from the secret levels). A very nice selection of levels here! The semi-final level was very easy IMO; the final level was a good challenge, but I do think there are better contenders for that spot. Overall though, it's a great collection. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2015, 02:16:06 PM »
While you did backroute level 29 (to my knowledge), I do agree that it isn't much harder than Carnage, that's for sure.  Personally I'm not sure if Duality is that difficult either, although I do think it has a very beautiful solution.  Now to get to work in fixing the bugs and backroutes that you found!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2015, 09:36:29 PM »
So what's the agreed best time limit for Floodgates Open? 4-5 minutes? Is 4:30 minutes acceptable?

Also should I set Feel the Pressure to save 48 out of 50? Has this version ever been confirmed to work in NeoLemmix?
By the way, I probably mentioned this way back during the contest but the original version of this level had no steel on the top platform, and I hadn't solved it yet. But once the steel was there I found a solution utitlizing it which was obviously a backroute, but I think Akseli okay-ed it, I can't quite remember.

Also, how should I fix Hotel in Hell? Even if remove the miners namida said he had a backroute for it. Should I make it closer to the lix version? Could you specify Proxima?

oh yeah perhaps I should mention; well firstly I apologize for not testing Floodgate Open properly enough but there's a good reason for that.

Due to various reasons, including the way Lemmix handles terrain pieces, when I converted this level to work in Lemmini for the first version of this pack it was a

MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR PAIN IN THE BAZOO.

The tedium I had to go through to fix this level drove me insane. A hundred little pieces of terrain had to be moved around a thousand times over and over and by the time I was done I was so frustrated the time limit was the last thing on my mind. Unfortunately I had never read that post by Clam on this particular situation. When I realized it was backrouted with 8 minutes, I dared not go through the process of touching this level again so I simply took the time limit from the original. Yes, I realize this was a poor choice in the end.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:49:54 PM by möbius »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2015, 11:49:38 PM »
Personally I'd go with 4 minutes - it's short enough that some time-saving techniques are required (rather than just looping around the level again and again with one or two lemmings), but long enough that it's not to the extent where it gets frustrating.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2016, 10:37:34 AM »
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2016, 06:27:13 PM »
Since I've gotten several requests and questions about the music for the pack; I've zipped all the songs used and uploaded it here: :)

Most of the songs were taken from modarchive.org. I don't have much detailed info on any of them, other than most [if not all] of them came from other video games.

note: these are MOD files and you need a program like VLC media player to listen to them on their own.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2016, 02:04:12 AM »
How can I solve Armageddon 33?