Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Reunion [Difficulty: Medium-Hard]  (Read 69572 times)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Reunion [Difficulty: Medium-Hard]
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2021, 03:50:48 PM »
Worked through everthing and released a patch!

V 4.8 is out!

- 2 01 (removed timer)
- 2 06 (removed timer)
- 2 08 (removed timer)

- 3 03 (removed timer)
- 3 04 (removed timer)
- 3 22 (removed timer)
- 3 24 (removed timer)

- 4 01 (added OWWs up to the sides of a pillar)
- 4 08 (added a gap,  + 1builder, removed timer)
- 4 12 (added steel)
- 4 13 (removed timer)
- 4 18 (removed timer)
- 4 23 (removed timer)

- 5 06 (removed timer)
- 5 12 (6 builders are now a pick-up skill)
- 5 21 (added steel)
- 5 27 (added a OWW)

I mentioned earlier that there are a few things in this pack I 100% would do differently today due to changing of standards (level sizes, timers, pachelbel's canon,....). 1 thing I couldn't stand anymore looking through the replays again: Some really unnessesary timers - away they go (or at least most of them).

A few backroute fixes were needed, the rest is acceptable/intended. :)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2021, 07:18:18 PM »
Resolved the levels that broke my replays: 4 1, 4 8, 4 12, 5 12, 5 21, and 5 27. How are these new solutions? I still don't use one of the climber pickups for 5 27. Seems that it's optional just to finish the level faster. I also save 1 over the requirement.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2021, 07:39:50 PM »
V 4.9 is out!

- 4 08 (the blocker is now a pick-up skill)

- 5 21 (removed timer)

All but 4 08 are now acceptable. :)

5 27 is really just a minor variant but contains all important parts.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 08, 2021, 07:52:07 PM »
4 8 resolved. This should be intended now, and if so, very nice solution! :thumbsup:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2021, 07:55:30 PM »
Yes, this is intended now. :)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2021, 01:44:19 PM »
V 5.0 is out!

Includes a backroute fix recently added based on ShmoLem's PimoLems replays:

- 5 02 (2 builders are now a pick-up skill)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 12, 2022, 08:39:27 PM »
V 5.0 is out!

Includes a backroute fix recently added based on ShmoLem's PimoLems replays:

- 5 02 (2 builders are now a pick-up skill)

I meant to report this issue from a few months ago, but it kept going over my head :XD: I don't know if this was intentional, but I noticed that Nightmare 2 plays a Pimolems track instead of a Reunion track for NL. I have to suspect that when you fixed Shmoley's backroute for the level in Pimolems that you overwrote the Reunion file with the one from Pimolems and hence that's why it has the wrong track assigned :P Minor issue that doesn't break the level in any way, but let's say I'm being pendantic here :D

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 12, 2022, 09:09:12 PM »
I meant to report this issue from a few months ago, but it kept going over my head :XD: I don't know if this was intentional, but I noticed that Nightmare 2 plays a Pimolems track instead of a Reunion track for NL. I have to suspect that when you fixed Shmoley's backroute for the level in Pimolems that you overwrote the Reunion file with the one from Pimolems and hence that's why it has the wrong track assigned :P Minor issue that doesn't break the level in any way, but let's say I'm being pendantic here :D

Exactly ;P

V 5.1 is out!

Fixed the music on 5 02.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2022, 01:04:08 AM »
Oh no, more backroutes :( Yup, I went there :P Several solutions attached for Nightmare 21, the first one which is a very glaring backroute. That's easy to fix by putting more stuff in the way like you did on the left side of the emerald structure.

The others aren't as severe, though maybe acceptable challenge variants rather than slight backroutes? Second solution has some skills leftover and saves the requirement exactly. The third solution swaps a skill at the beginning with one of the leftover skills of the second solution but are otherwise identical. The fourth solution is essentially a more efficient version of the second one.

I recently went through my video series on this pack again, and when I got to Nightmare 21 I had a suspicion that it could still be backrouted, and indeed it's sadly true.

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 26, 2022, 05:08:54 PM »
So now that I have finished Lemmings Reunion and all the things over Christmas have settled down a bit, I want to write down some notes about this pack. I will start with some general thoughts beforce I come to the individual levels. I will do this rank by rank.

It's the end of quite a long journey of almost five months. I started playing Lemmings Reunion on July, 28th and finished in the morning of Christmas Eve. I didn't play every day, but constantly. The only longer break was nine days, from September 8th to September 17th. I really rushed through the first two ranks, but then it became quite tricky and the progress really slow. The difficulty curve levels off a bit in the end in my opinion as I think the Nightmare! rank is not significantly harder than the Ultra-Violence one. While I would say Lemmings Reunion is AMONG the hardest packs I ever played, it doesn't contain any of the hardest individual levels I ever played. The difficulty comes more from the consistency - there are hardly any real breathers in the higher ranks. Also the levels are absolutely fair designed. If one finds a hackish, unelegant solution, one can be almost sure that it's a backroute. And I most certainly backrouted several levels. My only slight point of criticism would be that some of the tricks within this level pack are a bit overused, such as extending bashers by bridges (plus a few other ones). The music is not my cup of tea, too as I'm not a big fan of variations of the Original Music. I prefer the original ones or, even better, completely new tunes. But that's just my personal taste. All in all this was a great pack which is now among my favourites with Insane Steve's World, Lemmings Destination and Sublems.

Now here are the individual reviews.

I'm TooYoungToDie

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 01:26:27 PM by Swerdis »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 27, 2022, 04:44:03 PM »
Thanks for playing @Swerdis! :thumbsup:

As everything is complete now, I will soon find a nice afternoon where I will go through the vids+comments and search for some backroutes for my fix list. :)

Reunion is my first pack and looking back to it I often find things I would not do today or stuff I whish I did differently. I think this would be the case with any 1st pack from an author. That would also include the overusage of some tricks you mentioned that where totally mindblowing/hot stuff for me at that time and I did try to spread it more out and diversify them in later packs.
Music is, of course, totally personal taste and I won't hold it against anyone if they prefer their own playlist. ;)

It is really good to see though that it still holds up as a pack you can recommend for players who at least have some custom level experience.

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 27, 2022, 07:40:36 PM »
Hello Icho,

I can totally understand that and it shouldn't sound offensive in any way - it was just what went through my head when I finished your first pack. I had a lot of fun playing it throughout the past months. And as for the music: I NEVER play packs with a personal playlist. For me it's an act of politeness. A creator deserves that his pack is played the way he/she provides it. Sometimes, the music of a level is directly connected with the level itself, be it the title or tileset or whatsover. Playing such a level with a totally random different music will distort or dilute the playing-experience, I'm convinced of that.

Now here are the next individual reviews.

Hey, Not Too Rough

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All in all, this rank is a slight increase in terms of difficulty compared to the first one, as it should be. It's still quite relaxing in my opinion, but things will pick up pace soon...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 04:48:47 PM by Swerdis »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2022, 11:07:00 PM »
I can totally understand that and it shouldn't sound offensive in any way

I think you may have misunderstood me here - I am not very good at expressing myself in textform anyway :'( - in no way I found anything offensive here. In fact, I prefer to hear everything in terms of feedback, positive and negative, so that future projects can be better overall and current can be adjusted to at least an degree.

In my comment, I was just monologing a bit about my personal feelings of Reunion in the present: A good first effort, but today I could have done much better. (as it should be with experience) 
So, in fact, I would share your opinion about quite a few things here. ;)

So, be assured that I won't be offended by any form of constructive criticism! :)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2022, 12:24:24 PM »
@Swerdis

Great review! :thumbsup: However, there's a couple of things I'm confused about in the spoilers, such as your feedback for 1 6 and 2 10. In the former, you mentioned that it "introduces the blockers" when it doesn't provide any and is actually a bomber tutorial level. The blocker tutorial level is 1 4.

For the latter, again you mentioned blocker in your feedback when in fact it once again doesn't provide blockers and instead teaches a different miner technique ;)

Other than that, I agree with a lot of the feedback you wrote. It's quite nice to hear and read of your experiences with a pack that I too really like in spite of it being Icho's first one he made. In addition,

And as for the music: I NEVER play packs with a personal playlist. For me it's an act of politeness. A creator deserves that his pack is played the way he/she provides it. Sometimes, the music of a level is directly connected with the level itself, be it the title or tileset or whatsover. Playing such a level with a totally random different music will distort or dilute the playing-experience, I'm convinced of that.

I'm completely onboard with you regarding the music for level packs. I too always play level packs with the music pack as intended for the pack and by the author. The only exception I've made is for Lemmings Plus Alpha, as honestly I'm not much of a fan of the SMS Lemmings tracks, because I personally don't really like them. Instead, I grew up with the Dos/PC version of the Lemmings music tracks and hence I have a preference for them.

One thing to keep in mind is a lot of the levels are far different now and have changed so much from their original versions due to backroutes and whatnot. This is especially true since there have been several people who have played through the pack from way back in the days like josh and namida, and also including pre-testers like Akseli and Nepster. Then I finally started playing through the NL version of the pack last year and some levels still needed fixing. So really, in your playthrough, you're looking at levels that have been patched up since my playthrough of the pack from last year.

@Icho

Is it weird that whenever I read Swerdis' feedback that I have all your Reunion levels memorized? I don't have all level titles of the pack memorized, just that when I read the title in his feedback I know instantly which level is being talked about. It probably all comes from how I constantly rewatch my video series on your level packs, as I've probably done so at least 10 times now or so :laugh:

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2022, 01:31:14 PM »
Thank you Kaywhyn for your feedback. You're totally right, I confused something here. I just meant bombers when I wrote blockers. The other thing is a bit more complicated since I really memorized this level (without checking it again) with blockers turning miners. But it's miners turning miners. Next rank is coming soon, I promise.