Author Topic: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #4 (Playing)  (Read 10998 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #4 (Playing)
« on: April 28, 2015, 07:39:40 PM »
Okay so, it's time for the playing (and updating) phase now! :)

Here are the rules for this phase:

In relation to other people's levels
1. You are allowed to discuss anything you want to about the levels in this topic
2. You are allowed to post replays of your solutions
3. Anything relating to the solution must be kept behind a spoiler tag, unless very vague. To give examples - "I thought the solution was very well-hidden" or "I liked that trick near the end" probably don't need to be, but "I liked that climber and stoner trick near the end" most definitely should be spoiler tagged. If in doubt, spoiler tag it.

In relation to your own levels
1. You are perfectly permitted to post your own replay of your level
2. You must not post updated versions of your levels in this topic; updated versions should be submitted to me via PM.
3. There will be three "update points", at which I will post any updated versions received. At each of these, the newest version you've submitted (assuming it's still within the contest rules) will be posted. Note that you can only update the level twice, so if you submit updates for both of the first two update points, you cannot submit any updates for the third point. If you submit an update after the update point time passes but before updates are actually uploaded, it will not be posted until the next update point.

In general
1. The update points (at which updated versions of the levels will be posted) are, all at midnight UTC, May 3rd, May 7th and May 11th.
2. The playing phase will close May 15th.

So with the rules out of the way, let's take a look at our levels! We have four NeoLemmix submissions and one Lix submission. As usual, the entries are listed in alphabetical order of creator's names.

"The Five" by Giga
Engine: NeoLemmix
Graphic set: Fire

"True Grid" by IchoTolot
Graphic set: Crystal

"Sweet As!" by namida
Graphic set: Candy

"Fourtissimo" by Nepster
Graphic set: Brick

"All Around the World" by Proxima
Engine: Lix
Graphic set: Sandstone

For the NeoLemmix levels, you can play them by launching NeoCustLemmix and pressing F6 on the title screen. Note that if you don't have the most recent version of NeoCustLemmix (V1.32n-B), you may also need to put a copy of the Candy graphic set in the same folder as NeoCustLemmix (a copy of it is included in the download) for "Sweet As!".

For the Lix level, put it in Lix's "levels" folder (or a subfolder thereof) and navigate to it from the main menu. The graphic set it uses is included with Lix.

Good luck to everyone! :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:23:38 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #4 (Playing)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 09:24:44 PM »
My thoughts:

Giga's "The Five"
A nice level, fairly easy. Time limit is a bit unnessecerially tight.

IchoTolot's "True Grid"
A good puzzle. However, I was able to solve it using only four of the skills (of course, the contest doesn't require that the level is impossible to solve with fewer than all five skills).

Nepster's "Fourtissimo"
A freaking excellent level! Took me longer to solve this one than all the other levels combined, and the solution is very elegant too. It does require a fair bit of precision, but not to the point that it gets annoying.

Proxima's "All Around the World"
Nice use of the wrap-around, though the level of precision needed was a bit annoying here. A decent level nonetheless.

Attached my replays for all of those levels, as well as the intended solution for my own one.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 09:27:42 PM »
And finished
Thoughts on the levels
Fourtissimo
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sweet As
True Grid
Around the World

All around nice and short levels with a bit of challenge :thumbsup: :lix-smile:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 09:37:47 PM »
You got the intended solution to my level. :) The other entrants' levels, your solutions were different to mine (though for Proxima's level it was very similar)... I don't know about Nepster's, but I get the feeling yours is probably the intended solution for IchoTolot's.

And yes, you're right about my level there. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 10:59:25 PM »
Here are my replays for the NeoLemmix level + my own one (namidas solution is a bit backrouted, but that will be fixed ;))

I must set up Lix the next days, so no worry Proxima your level will be played! :)

Some thoughts so far:

The Five:
Nice Little level, but as mentioned the time limit is a bit tight.

Sweet As:
The timing is tight, but not too painful in my opinion. Had fun with it!

Fourtissimo:
A little symphony! Brilliant level :thumbsup:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 11:22:59 PM »
Giga has the intended solution to my level, so I shan't bother to post my own replay  8-)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 09:30:32 AM »
And here is my replay of Proximas level :)

Nice level! A bit of precision needed, but not too much. Had to get myself used to Lix mechanics, but that didn't take long ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 11:29:39 AM »
You also got the intended solution to my level, IchoTolot. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 05:08:05 PM »
Excellent levels all :thumbsup:!

My own solutions are identical to some that were posted here earlier, so I won't bother you with attaching them. I actually got lucky on Around the World and the miner was placed correctly on my first try :lix-grin:.

Fourtissimo: namida found the intended solution, Giga and IchoTolot got clever alternative solutions. No revisions forthcoming for this level contest. However I will make a fixed version for the NeoLemmix community level pack, so that you may decide which version to put there.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 10:10:09 PM »
Solutions. I'll play namida's level probably later, playing with Candy set demands me to update my NeoLemmix player and editor.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 10:25:27 PM »
Solutions. I'll play namida's level probably later, playing with Candy set demands me to update my NeoLemmix player and editor.

It's worth noting that replays from old versions involving blockers and/or bombers may possibly also not work properly with newer versions (some may, but it's not guaranteed). When I upgraded the Lemmings Plus games (and Doomsday Lemmings) to V1.31n, which is where the fixes relating to these were introduced, about 20% of replays needed to be remade due to this, though most of these only needed to be remade from a certain point, not the entire replay. Only a single level out of the entire series actually needed modifications to remain possible, though (Genius 19 from LPII).

I would upload an old-format version of the graphic set, but you mentioned you have V1.28n, which doesn't even support graphic sets that use a name (rather than a number; ie: "g_dirt.dat" / "v_dirt.dat" rather than "ground0o.dat" and "vgagr0.dat"); since the LPIV graphic sets don't have any associated number (due to being made more recently than when the numbering system became obsolete), simply providing the old format wouldn't help. If anyone has V1.29n / V1.30n (which support number-less graphic sets, but not the new format) I could upload an old-format version of the graphic set; though do keep in mind that graphic quality will be slightly lower due to format limitations. :P
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 07:35:40 PM »
One user PM'd me a backroute replay to my level. However, the backroute basically just involves using tighter timing in place of using the climber, so I don't think it needs to be fixed.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 03:27:50 AM »
The first update point has passed, and as such, updates have been uploaded. Only IchoTolot has updated his level; the others are the same as before. Check the first post for the updated download.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 04:14:23 AM »
Regarding the updated version of True Grid; although it's much harder to do so now, I still managed to solve it with only 4 skills (the unused one being the same as before).
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 10:30:46 AM »
ARGH! That little downslide :devil:! Ok with the next update no more downslides and it should be backroutefree :8():