Author Topic: My experience with NeoLemmix so far  (Read 17783 times)

Offline 607

• View Profile
Re: My experience with NeoLemmix so far
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 07:45:18 AM »
Okay, I've seen enough .xm's, .mod's and .it's for today :XD:

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 09:06:52 AM »
You need to create a corresponding VGASPEC file (the name comes from the filenames of the respective files in the DOS version; the name has little actual relevance to how they're now implemented). As you probably know there's some already included with NeoLemmix Editor - those from DOS, Genesis, etc.

To create your own, just create a graphic set (using the Graphic Set Tool) that has a single terrain piece and no objects. The filename for it should start with "x_" and (as with most files) have a ".dat" extension. For example, "x_awesome.dat" is the one for "What An AWESOME Level". The name part (not the whole filename, but just the custom name part in the middle) shouldn't be more than 16 characters long, and can't start or end with a space (but it can have a space in the middle).
Now how do I create a level with that VGASPEC? :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 09:28:44 AM »
In the editor's folder, there should be a folder called "styles", and inside this, one called "NeoLemmix". Copy it into that folder.

It's then selectable from the "Special graph" selection menu in the editor (click the "..." next to it under the level properties).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 10:00:33 AM »
Oh wow, I was really confused for a while :P
Turns out I created a level with a Lemmix tileset instead of NeoLemmix, stupid me...
I got it there, now. But nothing shows if I import it, only black. I made a .png file with transparent background, and no black in it. It's 1169 x 200 pixels. I did file -> new, then Add, then Import, and chose the .png file. I said Use Alpha Channel, and Zoom Small Images was checked. I then did file -> save as and gave it the right filename. If I add it in the Editor, I only see black.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 10:10:31 AM »
Just to make sure - you added it as a terrain piece, not an object, right?

"Use Alpha Channel" is correct if you have actual transparent background (in a PNG or GIF file). The "Zoom Small Images" is only relevant for display inside the graphic set editor - it has no bearing on the output.

Could you send me (via PM) the file you made so I can look into this? Just the special graphic file; I don't need the level itself.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 04:47:40 PM »
With the new release of the editor, I can make VGASPEC levels!
I also noticed that when using the other skills gimmick, you can choose one skill to use endlessly :P Kind of interesting!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 06:18:29 PM »
With the new release of the editor, I can make VGASPEC levels!
I also noticed that when using the other skills gimmick, you can choose one skill to use endlessly :P Kind of interesting!

Indeed! I myself haven't used that gimmick in any levels, but DynaLem's Unused Gimmicks Pack has a level that really shows off that gimmick's potential.
My Lemmings projects

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2015, 05:48:55 PM »
Okay, two things: the sound still stops working now and then. I thought someone mentioned a key to fix it, but I can't remember if it worked, and I forgot which key it was.
And the other thing: I'm playing Lemmings Plus I now, and to get the custom music, you should just put the .dat file in the same folder as the .exe, right?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 04:25:29 AM »
S toggles sound effects on and off, but that setting is reset when you finish a level. If you're accidentally hitting it, that might be what's causing the issue. Lemmix was known to have sound issues along those lines at one point, although the way sound is handled was rewritten at one point in NeoLemmix (previously it used some kind of built-in Delphi library I think, while it now uses Bass.dll).

And indeed, that's how to use a music pack. The filename should be the same as the EXE, with "_Music" at the end. EG: For LemmingsPlusI.exe, it should be LemmingsPlusI_Music.dat.
My Lemmings projects

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 06:39:40 PM »
I've finished my first custom graphics level. Not really a VGASPEC, as I also made a custom exit and trap. I won't spoil the theme of the custom graphics levels yet, but I can reveal that I'll try to make those the only levels with custom gimmicks, and have a specific one for each. It was quite challenging to make a level with the "VGASPEC" I had in mind, using an interesting gimmick, yet still fitting into the first rank of the game. I find I often turn out with "tricky" levels while I was planning to make one for the first rating.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 05:26:52 PM »
I've been having really much fun with this, in-between learning for tests.
Today I created the most difficult level I've made yet. The problem is of course that I can't actually test the difficulty of it myself, as I already know the solution. I think it could perhaps fit in in at least the third difficulty though, but I'm not too sure.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 11:53:08 AM »
I think I finally get the music situation.
I thought you needed to use Amiga music, but I now think it doesn't matter where it's from, as long as it's in the format .it. Is that correct?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2015, 12:39:24 PM »
IT or OGG. :)

Many formats similar to IT will also work if they're renamed to have an IT extension; MOD and XM are two examples of such.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2015, 01:46:42 PM »
renamed to have an IT extension; MOD and XM are two examples

Why are you forcing users to give misleading filenames? :-\

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2015, 02:55:02 PM »
It's more that the other formats just so happen to work, but aren't explicitly intended to be supported. It's the same with that some other sample-based formats might work if renamed to an OGG extension, as the "load music" function is fairly generic and not format-specific (however, the function that loads info on looping points is very much OGG-specific, so any non-OGG sample-based formats would be stuck as looping the whole file, not able to loop a specific section of it).

So, while they will work, it's also worth noting that if for some reason a format other than OGG or IT doesn't work at some point (at least during V1.xx series, I'll probably improve the situation for V2.00), I'm probably not going to try too hard to fix it.
My Lemmings projects