Poll

So, who's planning to play it when it's released?

I'm going to start as soon as it's out!
2 (50%)
I might wait a bit, but I plan to get to it soon.
1 (25%)
Not right away, I still want to play the other Lemmings Plus packs first.
1 (25%)
Dunno, I might play it if I need some more levels at some point.
0 (0%)
I'm probably not going to play it anytime soon.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Lemmings Plus IV - Development Topic (Release in ~5 minutes!)  (Read 36619 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Indeed. Development's probably going to also going to start speeding up a bit from here - had the bae staying over this week, which generally means less time spent on Lemmings; on top of that graphic sets are almost finished and that's often the slower part for me. I wouldn't be surprised if it's ready for pre-release testing within a week or two at the most; though I'm not saying that's a set release date.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
My entry into the level design contest uses the Candy set; as per contest rules I've had to include a copy of the Candy graphic set with the entry. As such, I'm now generally making the Candy graphic set available for anyone to use. :)

The latest version of NeoCustLemmix already includes a copy of it. Here's the file so that it can be used with the editor (put it in the "styles/NeoLemmix" folder); from the next update I'll include it there by default. Other LPIV graphic sets will be made available at some point after LPIV's release.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
I might make a short level pack and take a break from GigaLems 1.5 & 2

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Just made one of those levels that takes insane amounts of testing and revising to get right - but it's a level that I feel well and truly fits near the end of Insane. :D Probably full of backroutes at this stage, but I need sleep at the moment so I'll investigate that more later.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
I shall Call it
"Candy Coated GigaLems"
4 ratings 48 levels
and the ratings are
Sweet, Crunchy, Fizzy, & Sour

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Hm... for 48 levels, you might want to use more than just one graphic set, especially with ones like the Candy set that are designed for a game that has more than one set. The Candy set is in particular quite limited in terms of objects (although it does have a decent variety of terrain styles - the very-rough-edged sprinkles, the rounded lollipops, etc); outside the in-almost-every-set types, the only objects it has are a splitter and a triggered trap.

Personally, I even felt the one graphic set for Doomsday Lemmings to be slightly limiting - and that's it despite it being specifically designed for a game with only one graphic set, and as such, having more variety of terrain and objects than an average set would. There again, who knows - if you think you've got enough ideas for it, by all means, go for it! :)

It might be better to discuss your packs in your own topic, though...
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
That time will come when i make the logo ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
About 10 8 hours until the public demo will be available! :)

In other news, I've begun working on the final level. It's a freaking behemoth in terms of raw size, though probably not the hardest level (IMO, out of the levels I've made so far, Insane 18 would be the hardest, with Insane 16 as a very close second). It's not my tallest or widest level so far (not entirely sure about widest; tallest would be "Drop Them Lems" from LPOmega), but I think it has the largest total area, since most of my other very-tall or very-wide levels are usually small in the other dimension; whereas this one is fairly large in both. So far (and it's not complete yet), 541 terrain pieces and 35 objects (of which only one is a no-effect object).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 04:18:51 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Alright, rather than rely on me being at the computer and paying attention to the time at the exact point (or as close as possible to it) that the demo is releasing, I've set up a link which in the meantime tells you exactly how long is remaining until release - and once the demo is released, this link will automagically act as a download link rather than a countdown. :)

http://www.lemmingsforums.net/lpiv_demo.php

So, no need to worry about waiting for me to upload it even once it hits midnight - as soon as it hits it, you can use that link to download it. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline 607

• View Profile
Alright, rather than rely on me being at the computer and paying attention to the time at the exact point (or as close as possible to it) that the demo is releasing, I've set up a link which in the meantime tells you exactly how long is remaining until release - and once the demo is released, this link will automagically act as a download link rather than a countdown. :)

http://www.lemmingsforums.net/lpiv_demo.php

So, no need to worry about waiting for me to upload it even once it hits midnight - as soon as it hits it, you can use that link to download it. :)
Oh, that's very cool! I'll be asleep at that time, though, so... :P
But I like how you did that.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
No worries - the demo isn't going to disappear (until the full version is released). :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
AND the demo is now out! :) Enjoy!
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus IV - Development Topic (66.25% complete) (Demo released!)
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2015, 02:00:55 AM »
So, here's the first thing I'll reveal from the 4th graphic set (the demo doesn't contain any levels in it; though it does have levels in all of the other three).

Attached is an image of the exit. :)

In terms of level counts, I'd say this graphic set is catching up nicely to the others, though I haven't done a proper count for quite some time now.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2015, 03:45:12 PM »
I wonder what this graphic set is. Judging by the shape of the exit, the green stuff and the rather crooked torches, it could either be the wastelands, temple ruins, art, farm, gulf war, rainforest, or swamp. Hm...
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2015, 05:43:59 PM »
Based on feedback received so far about the demo, I'm considering moving "Platform Panic" to Insane, and "Unhealthy Diet" to Twisted. The latter does have a backroute, but even one person who found the intended solution said they felt it was too easy for Insane.

I also finally wrote a quick snippet of code (or rather, slightly modified the one I use to quickly output a list of level names for use in the official game voteoffs) to count up the number of levels in each graphic set.

Results so far:

Candy: 8
Space: 13
Clockwork: 9
4th graphic set: 9

If you take into account that the Space graphic set is used for the once-per-rank level, and thus only count that once instead of 4 times, that'd be 10 space levels; meaning all graphic sets are used quite evenly so far. :D Though maybe I should make a few Candy levels next, before it falls behind too much...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:14:37 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects