Author Topic: Television  (Read 4656 times)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
Television
« on: December 21, 2014, 11:20:19 PM »
I haven't watched TV in years. I liked watching Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and G4 (Back when G4 wasn't bad) back then but now it's all about Youtube and watching anime on many websites. I'm the only one in my house with no cable box connected in the TV. I use to love having a cable box but times as changed.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Television
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 11:30:17 PM »
Cartoon Network is freaking legendary, or at least, their older shows (and Adventure Time) are. These days, while I don't literally watch them on TV (or at least not on broadcast TV), the only shows I really watch much are South Park and Family Guy, though. *cue the creators of South Park hunting me down for grouping these two together*

Still, chances are it'll be a while before something entertains me as much as this did the first time I saw it...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 03:36:15 PM »
Yeah, I do. Mostly old animation and films from various eras, as well as a couple of crafting and cooking shows.

The crafting shows are thin on the ground, though, and too many of them excessively cover projects that are a little too simplistic (and occasionally, unfortunately, too sloppy) for my liking (the same problem exists with magazines, too, so it's by no means exclusive to the medium of television). I appreciate the good workmanship that's usually displayed in the ones that I enjoy the most, though.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 10:21:04 PM »
For better or worse, TV still remains one of my top vices.  That said, I believe technically I could probably get most if not all of the shows I watch through online sources like Hulu, so in theory I think I could get by without an actual TV.  It's not clear how you want to count that case of people watching shows that are still on TV but also available online.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 12:47:00 AM »
I only use my TV to play games on it. There's no commercials when watching online.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 01:11:58 AM »
Not me... I've never been a TV watcher, as I always have too much else I want to do  :P  I used to watch Jonathan Creek before the writer ran out of ideas, and the occasional film... but after Mother's death it wasn't worthwhile to continue our Radio Times subscription, so these days I don't even know what's on  :P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 01:53:26 AM »
There's no commercials when watching online.

That depends on which site you are watching things from though.  Even Youtube isn't commercial free I think (maybe it's different if I sign up/log in? hnn...).  I'll grant you that the commercials are usually shorter than on TV, and there are certainly much less of them (and you may be able to skip them every now and then), but they are still present right before the main video.  Sites that require some sort of paid subscription (eg. Netflix) may be more commercial free, but annoyingly even something like Hulu+ still shoves ads to you even with a paid subscription, so it still depends.  Now if you go the route of finding torrents or other sites of questionable legality offering TV shows, yes I'll grant you that those would be commercial free, in the same way that you can get games for free via that sort of method.

And on the other side, if you use a DVR and don't watch exactly live, you can just as easily skip the commercials on an actual TV.  So at least for me, commercials isn't much of a factor with my viewing habits.  I tend to have my laptop or tablet around to browse the web anyway while commercials are happening on live TV.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 02:34:41 AM »
Adblock is a add-on that you can download for free that can block the online commercials. While this gives you the freedom of enjoying online videos without worry about watching commercials/ads, websites that rely on ads to make money will not make any money from people with adblock enabled, which will hurt them.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 06:57:41 AM »
Not me... I've never been a TV watcher, as I always have too much else I want to do  :P 

I almost fall in the same boat too. The only sort of programs I tend to watch are competition programs, whether it's reality (Like the Apprentice), quizzes (Like Who wants to be a Millionaire) or football. Documentaries, Comedies and Soaps are not my thing.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Lemika

• The Lurker in the Level
    • View Profile
    • Corner the Maze - a webcomic
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 03:14:24 AM »
I've never watched television regularly. I watched Sonic the Hedgehog on Saturday mornings for a while when I was a kid, and for a year or two I watched Xena and Hercules, but that's about it. These days, I watch F1 -- when the time zones line up so that I can actually get some sleep if I watch it live, otherwise I record -- and that's all. Unless I find myself extraordinarily bored with nothing but a TV around, which is (thankfully) not often.

For the most part I have always seen the television as 'that thing you use to watch films', and I don't even do that particularly often.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »
I use a Roku player, and most of what I watch is Youtube videos. I used to like mainstream TV a lot more but it's kind of turned pointless nowadays, though I still have a Hulu subscription (don't know of anything to watch right now, though).
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 04:31:23 PM »
Long ago, I watched Sesame Street a lot. Also, at some point we had a television (with Playstation 2) in our class at school (someone left it there who went to a different school, yay), so at that point I watched a bit more often.
Sometimes I watch the Olympic games, and there's one Dutch show I occasionally follow.
Not anything more than that, though.