Author Topic: Holiday Lemmings Plus & Lemmings Plus Flashbacks  (Read 15029 times)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
Re: Holiday Lemmings Plus & Lemmings Plus Flashbacks
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2014, 05:08:21 PM »
Levels that stand out most to me are Kickback Scheme (the easiest Medium level), Hardwired! (harder than Viva Las Lemmine, for example), Experimental Materials (the hardest Medium level except Hardwired! and maybe Fallen), Some Kind Of Lemming (easier than Hard), Crossover Arena maybe harder than Panic Attack (?), I haven't solved the former. But if anyone else doesn't agree with these, maybe there's not that much need to rearrange them.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2014, 05:19:52 PM »
I still think Some Kind of Lemming and Hardwired should be switched, but it's probably because I was able to beat the former and not the latter, and it's a small level with only four lemmings compared to a huge level that also involves a teleporter.

Crossover Arena is indeed harder than Panic Attack, and I also haven't solved it. I guess Panic Attack ended up as the last level because it was the ultimate winner of all Lemmings Plus levels.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2014, 05:33:51 PM »
Kickback Scheme: Over time there's been a bit of mixed comments on how hard this one is or isn't. The NeoLemmix version does make it a bit easier though, so I guess I need to take that into account more.

Experimental Materials, Hardwired!: These two I really don't see what's so hard about them, but I guess that's part of that it's hard to judge your own levels. (The latter also has quite a similar solution to Kickback Scheme, so I find it interesting that there's such a disparity in how people find them. It was meant to be one of the "breather" levels in Rough, to be honest. It just uses a teleporter instead of climbing/bombing/bashing to get to the "top", and has a bit extra on the end.)

Some Kind Of Lemming: I might move this one back a bit, then...

Crossover Arena vs Panic Attack: IMO the two are very close in difficulty, I'd also agree that Crossover Arena is harder but firstly, as DynaLem said, Panic Attack is the overall favorite, and secondly, one crucial factor is that Crossover Arena in fact has two very different solutions that work; Panic Attack (as far as I know) only has the one. (When I first released Crossover Arena I was only aware of one solution, but Nepster found a completely different one that was just too clever to not leave it in.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »
Hardwired: I agree that is is likely the hardest level currently in Medium and harder than Viva las Lemmine, so I probably would have interchanged these two. But I found Some Kind Of Lemming actually harder than either of these two levels.
As for "What is hard about Hardwired": I think the solution is much more hidden than e.g. the one in Kickback scheme, even if it has some similarities.

Experimental Materials: I think it is well-placed in early Medium.

Crossover Arena vs Panic Attack: I think Crossover Arena is the harder one, because there are so many approaches that almost (but not quite) work. So it is pretty tough to see, which approach you shoud try to modify in order to solve the level. Nevertheless at the end, Panic Attack has the more complex solution, though it is easier to see if you are making progress in solving the level. So all things considered I agree with the current order, because I think a level pack should end with a level having a complex, yet beautiful solution and not necessarily with its hardest level.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2014, 07:17:44 PM »
Okay, I've made a few adjustments based on these comments, and I'm going to put the pack together now.

Some random facts:
- In total there are 14 levels from LPDOS, 11 from LPII and 7 from LPIII. These proportions are actually very close to the relative numbers of levels in each pack altogether, although this fact is purely coincidental.
- Excluding Xmas and Sega (which weren't used in any of the eligible levels), there are four graphic sets which are not used in any level on the list; three of which are from OhNo and one of which is from LPIII. These are Brick, Rock, Bubble and Sky.
- The most frequently appearing graphic set is Circuit (5 levels), followed by Marble (4 levels).
- The Snow, Purple, Martian and Lab graphic sets all have only one level each.
- There is at least one level with each music track (excluding the gimmick and frenzy musics, obviously) for LPII. This is not true for either LPDOS or LPIII.
- The most common music track is LPII Track #5 (4 levels), with LPDOS Track #12 and LPIII Track #1 tied for second place (3 levels each).

Todo:
- Get the nessecary graphic sets
- Get the nessecary musics
- Get the nessecary levels
- Create a MAIN.DAT
- Set the right music numbers on levels
- Make an icon for the player
- Put it all together into a player
- Test all levels *

* Since this is considered an official Lemmings Plus release (even if it's a side entry and not a main one), the levels need more thorough testing than they do for the NeoLemmix update stream. This is particularly true for the LPDOS and LPII ones, as they haven't had an official NeoLemmix-based release before (whereas LPIII was NeoLemmix from day one). If any changes are nessecary, they'll of course be applied to the NeoLemmix update stream versions too (except of course the removal of secret level triggers in the three levels that contain them).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2014, 09:43:39 PM »
Alright, it's here. :)

Download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oj92a5e748tvfei/LemmingsPlusFlashbacks.exe
http://www.neolemmix.com/old/lpf.zip
(As usual, you can use either link.)

Music Pack (Optional)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkhkkd9h9wmm2nj/LemmingsPlusFlashbacks_Music.dat
Gives the authentic Master System version musics for LPDOS and DOS version musics for LPII; it makes no difference on the LPIII tunes.

Enjoy! :D

All but three levels (Death Row, Treetop Trial and Panic Attack) play the same as their traditional Lemmix versions, despite NeoLemmix-isation. Even these three, only Death Row is significantly different; the other two just vary in minor details of the execution (while retaining the same overall solution). None of the levels ended up needing modification though; these are just results of how they are in NeoLemmix (and have been for ages). Aside from these three, The Oddstack also has a much more lenient time limit in the NeoLemmix version, but the same solution still works and it can be completed within the old time limit.

Consider this version to be the official release of LPF; I'll update it once to a finalised version of NeoLemmix once that exists (and include any level modifications that have been made between now and then, of course). It's running on NeoLemmix V1.26n V1.26n-B, exactly the same version as was recently released for the general update stream.

EDIT: Updated it to V1.26n-B, due to a game-breaking bug in V1.26n if a custom background color is used.
My Lemmings projects