Author Topic: new Level design jam ideas!  (Read 8280 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: new Level design jam ideas!
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 11:19:42 PM »
Yeah, I also have some styles I simply can't stand desgining levels in (even if there are exceptions occasionally). For the classic styles, all the ONML styles except brick are huge offenders, and I actually found while making LPII, the tree style even became this towards the end of development (surprising, because I was expecting it to be the Purple or Desert style, if anything, that does - but in fact 3 of the last 4 levels I made, IIRC, were desert style).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 09:32:48 AM »
I've thought of an idea. With no tileset restrictions, how about we create levels that are as thin and as difficult as possible? In other words restricting the pixel length (Or pixel depth for a completely separate challenge), of the terrain. Maybe restrict each level to about 50 pixels or something like that. They might not look pretty, but it's just an idea off the top of my head.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 09:58:08 AM »
While it might be better if I sit it out, what about a contest to design levels in one of the LPII styles? =P It'll be a new experience to some degree, as so far I'm the only person who's worked with them to any decent degree.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 12:49:35 AM »
we've thought up another idea for a contest, based on Rubix's idea. For this 1 single level will be created (by me, unless anybody else volunteers to) I will upload it, without a title, or stats. Your job will be to give it stats. I will try to create a level that can easily be given a variety of skill assortments to make a variety of puzzles.

edit: also I think I'ld like to have the contestants add/move the entrance and exit as well. That should make things a little more interesting and not quite as rigid. Also it lessens the chance of two people making an almost identical level.

I changed the poll again so you can vote for what terrain you want it to be. I thought of, again using one of namida's new terrain but considering not everyone may feel like downloading and installing that we may get a smaller crowd if I use that.

ideas welcome/.  :)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 11:48:17 AM »
I would suggest allowing the user to move all objects, and give them a couple of traps, water, one-ways, etc to play with as well. They're allowed to remove objects they don't want to use.
My Lemmings projects