Author Topic: Official Lemmings Forums Contests  (Read 4450 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Official Lemmings Forums Contests
« on: December 28, 2014, 11:47:55 AM »
One thing I'd like to start doing - depending on interest - is running official contests every now and then, perhaps even with some kind of prizes. Nothing huge of course, but something.

How would you's feel about this idea?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Re: Official Lemmings Forums Contests
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 12:31:10 PM »
This sounds like it could be fun.

What sort of parameters are you thinking of for the contests?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 12:58:16 PM »
This sounds like it could be fun.

What sort of parameters are you thinking of for the contests?

It'd probably be relatively simple things - I don't want to overcomplicate them! I haven't got any specific ideas, but the concept of official contests in general is just a thought to try and, a) encourage more people to get into level designing, b) perhaps bring out some new ideas, and c) possibly to encourage some more content for the newer engines (ie: NeoLemmix and SuperLemmini) since they don't have much yet.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 01:32:59 PM »
Contests are always exciting :thumbsup:
I don't have as much free time nor inspiration as before, but if I'm available i'll gladly participate.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 02:12:11 PM »
Simple is good!

I often find that the constraints of a contest or similar tend to inspire creativity, so I reckon this ought to generate some good stuff. :thumbsup:

I'm not very good at level design (and when I do make them, I tend toward the simple-but-atmospheric types of levels that are there to provide breathers in the flow of the typical Lemmings game, as I've always been a fan of them), but I'll certainly give it a try, too.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 02:15:03 PM »
Simple is good!

I often find that the constraints of a contest or similar tend to inspire creativity, so I reckon this ought to generate some good stuff. :thumbsup:

I'm not very good at level design (and when I do make them, I tend toward the simple-but-atmospheric types of levels that are there to provide breathers in the flow of the typical Lemmings game, as I've always been a fan of them), but I'll certainly give it a try, too.

Quite likely, I'll do some contests that are based on aesthetics than the gameplay too, so there'll be something for everyone. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 04:04:47 PM »
I've always enjoyed these competitions, as it teaches us to go outside of our comfort zone with level design.  Some ideas for guidelines (some which have been done already):

1 Minute - Exactly what it says on the tin.
Builderless - No builders allowed.
Commando - 5 lemmings or fewer.
Lone Wolf - One lemming only (an extreme case of 'commando').
Hero Time - One of each skill
Natural - Can only use the Dirt, Rock or Snow tilesets (training people to use the less precise tilesets!)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 04:15:43 PM »
Those are some good ideas.

For the less precise tilesets, we also have Tree, Desert, Sky and Martian if we're doing NeoLemmix (though the first and the last are somewhat borderline).

(The first two could even be used on standard Lemmix, for that matter.)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 04:52:14 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects