Author Topic: Forum History  (Read 4290 times)

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
Forum History
« on: July 14, 2013, 09:35:05 AM »
I forget when I joined the lemmings forums, but it was a long time ago...

How much do people remember about migrating between forums?  Like Lemmings Universe, Lemmingswelt, the isamedia forum, and so on (I'm not sure I named them all).  If I remember correctly this forum is a descendant of the old forum at Lemmings Universe.  I can't really remember how we got here though.

I'm also wondering who people remember being forum regulars back in the day who aren't around anymore, such as G3K and Tumbleweed...

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
Re: Forum History
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 03:59:56 PM »
Alls I know is that I found the place in early 2010, having searched high and low for an active Lemmings community. This is the only one I found with recent posts, although I don't think it was lemmingsforums.com at the time...

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
When I first found the community it was on the isamedia forum. It was Feb 2008, according to the timestamp on my first levelpack - that was the first thing I posted there :)

How about adding a poll to the thread? (What iteration of the lemmings forum did you join first)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:48:41 PM »
I know that I joined in summer 2005, since that was the same year I had my first serious relationship, with a girl in Australia. I went to visit her there for three months. She taught me how to use Photoshop, which I used for some of the work I did on my Cheapo graphics. (Some of you may remember that her picture showed up in one of my levels!)

It was the Lemmingswelt forum back then... I stumbled across it while googling for "Rendezvous at the Mountain" to see whether it was a quote from something. (It isn't.)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 10:23:20 PM »
I remember searching multiple times for a lemmings forum or editor or stuff as early as 2005-2009 but never found these places. I guess they weren't as well known then, at least they didn't come up very early in my searches. I found Lemmix at some point but without the help of people here I thought it was either totally broken or just in beta stage and not usable. So I only found this last year.

Nice to see you Timballisto. I have some questions about your levels I need to ask eventually..
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 12:37:53 AM »
I was introduced to the Forums by Timballisto; at the time is was Lemmings Universe, a thriving Mecca of Lemmings Lore and Level-building innovation. I was pretty young at the time, so I actually don't remember the times between events perfectly, but I remember after awhile the server got bogged down, the site slowed down, and we all realized with an impending sense of doom that something wasn't quite right with the webhosting, and when Lemmings Universe went down there ensued a long "time of troubles" in which forums modelled after the original Lemmings Universe popped up, hosted by various members of the old forum, and for some reason or other most of them either went down or became inoperable after awhile. It was a bad time for that to happen too, because while this was happening a lot of the members were about the right age to be going off to college; lemmings took a back seat for awhile.

Andi's forum at welt.de was pretty stable for awhile, but eventually something happened to it too. I recall Mr. KSoft putting up a forum once as well; and I don't remember if it was that one or another one that died without warning, leaving the forum community in chaos for awhile. One of them though, died without warning because if I remember correctly the webhost basically pulled the plug on it without any warning or explanation.

Then we regathered here, and this has been a pretty good, stable forum. At that point though, I mostly moved on to other facets of life, and although I still check back here sometimes, I'm sadly not very active on the forum anymore. Since the rise of a new, stable forum though, I've seen it do some cool stuff; there's new faces showing up, and to be honest the last time I took a good look at it, what it reminded me of most was the original Lemmings Universe forum when I first joined it, when the first generation of Lemmings players was getting old enough to look at this cool new internet thing and make accounts on weird retro game forums. LET THE CYCLE BEGIN ANEW.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 02:56:11 AM »
I joined last October, so I'm probably still classed as one of those new faces.

I found the place, if my memory serves me correctly, via a Google Image Search for Lemmings artwork, at around the time I was planning out the pattern for my Lemmings plushes (there's a thread about them in the Fan Corner section, for anyone who hasn't seen them). I was just looking for artwork for the hell of it, though - it wasn't related to the patterning.

What I found was this thread, which caught my attention partly because the comic that was being translated therein reminded me very much of how I drew lemmings based on the in-game sprites instead of the box-art, for a time, once upon a time. The respondents seemed polite and nice and all that, so I took a look around to see if the forum was still active, and it was. I held off of joining for several weeks (but did read everything of interest during that time), as I had originally wanted to finish my first plush lemming beforehand and make that my first post, but in the end I gave in and joined around a month before.

I've always leaned more towards the lore/merchandising/fan-tributes/etc. side of it, than the level-editing scene, though, so I tend to be quiet on that front. :P

I had no idea that the place had such a long history, though I've seen mentions of it every now and then. It's just nice to be here now that it's stable, I think. :thumbsup:

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 12:12:53 PM »
A very nice topic idea! :)

When I started using DOSBox in autumn 2010, I played through L1 and ONML the first time for a long time, and I remember glancing through Lemmings sites. From Lemmings Universe site I found Martin Zurlinden's custom level pack, which I tried with a great excitement and I was totally impressed.

It was though the beginning of year 2012 when I next time properly encountered Lemmings. I love playing retro games, and one day I was searching Jazz Jackrabbit music from YouTube, typing "A Cold Day in Heck" in the search bar, and then a custom level titled like that came in front of me. I had to click it - and then there was no return to the past. I was completely enchanted by custom lemmings scene, I just drifted in YouTube watching videos of Lemmings levels, always getting more and more amazed and thinking "What, you can do that in Lemmings?!?" I've written something related to this here and here.

I can't exactly remember how I encountered Lemmings Forums, but I was reading some stuff here before I registered. I think that the latest spark to my joining was Tseug's level pack topic, I had found his levelpack from the Lemmings Level Database after some googling "custom Lemmings levels" or something. I remember I had no idea how to solve any level in this pack, and I had to register to the forums so I could download ccexplore's solutions for that pack. After that though, I never watched solutions from others' replays or YouTube before solving levels myself at first!

Oh yeah. I joined these forums on March 2012, so I'm one of the newest active members I guess. I still sometimes wonder if I found this community too late, because so few people seem to be interested in custom level scene anymore, which is the part I love the most. :/

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Check out Lemmings-related web links topic! You can find a backup of the Lemmings forums from 2005 and a very little bit of Lemmings Community site. I actually recently asked Mr. K about his backup of Lemmings Community site, but he hasn't found it.

geoo and Simon had two years ago a fun competition: how many forum members they remembered through the forum history. Link here, their lists are also there two posts down! :)

So, I personally don't know/remember the oldest regulars, but I've played levels of such people like Andi, Conway, Leviathan, tseug, and Tumbleweed, who never joined this current forum as far as I know.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 06:59:14 PM »
I think I know a couple of lemmings fans who haven't played  lemmings two the tribe, if you haven't it's a must (Brilliant game)

I probably joined this site around the 2012 time as well even though I've been playing the lemmings for as long as I remember. I managed to complete the original and oh no around the year 2002-2003 I think but that was after years of trial and error especially the second last level on Mayhem, which I think the Amiga and Atari st had shorter time limits for that level compared to the PC one (Save Me I think it was called)

I remember back in the day when I first played Martin Zurlinden's custem levels my dad and I think must of got to the China Syndrome level as we were sort of taking turns, but as of 2008 I think that was the year I completed it once and for all (Really good pack) Oh my they were hard levels.  :evil:

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 08:04:17 PM »
So I've been around the community for almost ten years now!  Back on the early Lemmings Universe boards... way way way back.  I think it was late 2003/early 2004.  Been through pretty much every move.  I initially took over some time ago (at the end of Lemmingswelt.de's version of the forums) because the board was at risk of disappearing completely.  (While I know I'm not the best admin around, at least I've kept the site up-- that's better than nothing I suppose...)  Adam joined me on this little venture just a few years ago when isamedia stopped hosting people and we needed a new home.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 04:59:08 AM »
How much do people remember about migrating between forums?  Like Lemmings Universe, Lemmingswelt, the isamedia forum, and so on (I'm not sure I named them all).  If I remember correctly this forum is a descendant of the old forum at Lemmings Universe.  I can't really remember how we got here though.

I decided to go to my ancient (but still active, even though I rarely remember to check) yahoo email address.  It looks like it's around late 2004 that I started disassembling DOS Lemmings to figure out how exactly the game works.  I would think I have lurked in the forums some time before that though, I don't remember.  IIRC the forum is at its "Lemmingswelt" incarnation at that point.  Dec 2004 I apparently had email correspondence with Proxima about climberless solutions Mayhem 3, so it's safe to say I'm definitely active in the forums by that point.

I also distinctly remember a point later in time, I want to say the move to isamedia, for which the forum was down for an extended period of time, to the point where I could've been gone for good had I not decided one day to search the web again for it, out of the blue.  So there's definitely a period of at least a few or more months where a number new people joined but I wasn't around.

The stability of the current forum incarnation is definitely to be commended :thumbsup:

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 12:04:03 AM »
The stability of the current forum incarnation is definitely to be commended :thumbsup:

Not to mention the activity. It may not be Main Street, but it's fun to see each other's projects pop up now and then.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 07:54:05 AM »
I was in Lemmings Universe. I didn't post at all. I remember talking to Jonathan lliingworth at the time and sending each other pictures of levels through e-mail, in 2007.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Timballisto

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 10:27:59 PM »
Wow.  Okay, that's a lot of really cool info, especially the old user lists.  I'd forgotten most of the people on them.  More people made it here from Lemmings Universe than I thought.  What level questions do you have möbius?

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 06:29:49 PM »
Whilst I have no interest in the subject of history, I remember that it's been exactly four years since I registered on the lemmings forum! This was the first forum I explored.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3