Author Topic: jLevelBuilder 1.88 (june, 9th 2021)  (Read 100189 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: coding a level-editor for Lemmings
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2013, 12:34:08 AM »
Awesome! That was one of my favorite features in Cheapo.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2013, 12:34:28 AM »
This concept has actually been implemented in one form or another in a few editors for other Lemmings-like games, but yes, somehow I think it never actually made its way into an editor for actual Lemmings levels before.

Maybe the picture is blurry but I feel like your current set of helpers is missing some important ones?  Such as:
- A completed builder's bridge.  Bonus points for also marking the pixels that are checked for ceiling detection, making it possible to tell exactly how far a bridge can go before the lemming detects ceiling and stops building.
- the maximum safe-fall distance (the numbers in your screenshot doesn't seem to be quite right?)
- A little less important, but helpers in the shape of basher and miner terrain-removal masks could be helpful, just like the bomber mask you currently have.  Also for the bomber helper, the row of pixels corresponding to ground level (or equivalently, the portion above and below ground level) should be distinguished in some fashion (eg. color) so that the helper can be applied much more accurately.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2013, 01:54:20 AM »
Cheapo (and its predecessor Copycat Lemmings) had the feature, but you're right, nothing that supports the classic DOS format has ever had it.

As for the fall distance - it's correct for ONML/CustLemm mechanics. This editor appears to scale everything to 2x normal size, thus 126 would be correct (as fall distance is 63 in that).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2013, 08:59:23 AM »
The helpers idea is quite a good one. They also had these guides in the PSP version, but with the colour fully filled.
Maybe the picture is blurry but I feel like your current set of helpers is missing some important ones?  Such as:
- A completed builder's bridge.  Bonus points for also marking the pixels that are checked for ceiling detection, making it possible to tell exactly how far a bridge can go before the lemming detects ceiling and stops building.
- the maximum safe-fall distance (the numbers in your screenshot doesn't seem to be quite right?)
- A little less important, but helpers in the shape of basher and miner terrain-removal masks could be helpful, just like the bomber mask you currently have.  Also for the bomber helper, the row of pixels corresponding to ground level (or equivalently, the portion above and below ground level) should be distinguished in some fashion (eg. color) so that the helper can be applied much more accurately.
I agree on this. Maybe you could add the blocker's height and width as well, although I don't know what the height is for the lemmings to jump over the blocker (Or in another case, the restricted number of pixels where a builder turns round from the blocker). It might get too overly complicated though, so if you at least take ccexplore's points and work on them it shouldn't be a problem.

For certain guides, I believe there should be a 'snap to terrain' option where certain guides target the terrain. The fall height marker in particular is quite an important in this regard, even though it marks the edge of the ground.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2013, 05:39:11 PM »
I've just added all the helpers you asked for! 8)

For the stairs, I have added a "classic" and a "colored" helper (this way, you'll be able to choose your favorite way of working). In the colored version, the "safe" areas are the orange & the blue ones (see the screenshot below). If your lemmings need to move in a smaller area (because of a roof), then your lemmings will stop building. (colors alternate at each stair's step)

As for the fall distance - it's correct for ONML/CustLemm mechanics. This editor appears to scale everything to 2x normal size, thus 126 would be correct (as fall distance is 63 in that).
I have created all Helpers in 1:1 size and x2 scale (hence the fall distance in 63px as well as in 126px).

=> 11 (x2) helpers are available, so level makers should find some useful stuff in the list.

For certain guides, I believe there should be a 'snap to terrain' option where certain guides target the terrain. The fall height marker in particular is quite an important in this regard, even though it marks the edge of the ground.
The level editor features 1) a snap grid, 2) a "Zoom" window (x2, x4, x8), and 3) 1-pixel-by-1-pixel  accurate moves, so, yes, you'll be able to place any item very precisely at the exact place you want it to be.

Best of all: the level editor will be released tomorrow  so you'll have it for the week-end! :D

PS: I didn't tell yet, but the editor also allows you to export your levels as images. Nice 8)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2013, 11:06:15 PM »
oh boy oh boy :D

maybe you covered this but; do you have helpers for the Lemmini specs as well? For example builder bridges and deadly fall heights are different from DOS/custlem to Lemmini.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2013, 03:16:56 AM »
Any chance you can incldue a 60/120px fall guide as well? I generally prefer to work with Orig mechanics...
My Lemmings projects

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2013, 08:15:07 AM »
maybe you covered this but; do you have helpers for the Lemmini specs as well? For example builder bridges and deadly fall heights are different from DOS/custlem to Lemmini.
I think (I hope :D) it's ok
There are 2 available "Bridge" helpers: 28x12 (DOS size) and Lemmini's x2 version in 56x24.
There are 2 available "Fall Distance" helpers: 63px height (DOS) and Lemmini's x2 version, 126px height
So, yes, you'll be able to target your favorite Lemmings version (every 1:1 helper also exist in a 2x version).

Any chance you can incldue a 60/120px fall guide as well? I generally prefer to work with Orig mechanics...
Yeah, sure! I've just added these ones (60+120) :)

Guys, if you need more Helpers, act quick because I'm working on the release right now!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2013, 09:32:20 AM »
...Why not just allow the ability to load custom ones? That way, people can have whatever helpers they want. =P
My Lemmings projects

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2013, 09:40:21 AM »
...Why not just allow the ability to load custom ones? That way, people can have whatever helpers they want. =P

it is perfectly feasible, and it's up to you, guys, to create new Helpers 8)

Icing on the cake is you can freely create and use your own Helpers to meet your needs!!!!  :thumbsup:

And what would be nice is people share the Helpers they have created.
Helpers are .gif images with a number and a "hlp" suffix ; you'll find them in level-editor's "resources" directory

And if you don't need some helpers, well, just delete them from their directory. They are really easy to manage!

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
Re: coding a level-editor for Lemmings (released)
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2013, 12:13:40 PM »
Well, I guess it's time!!!
So I'm happy to announce you that the level-editor I've started working on on May has just been released!  :D (it's been quite a long way since the beginning, really!)

I won't bother you with too much blabla but here are few things to help you starting with the software:
(I know I have to write a README file, but you don't want to wait for it to be written, do you? :D)

1) INSTALLATION
(if you already have Lemmini installed on your computer, then the installation process is very easy) :
- get the .zip file from the link at the end of this post, and uncompress it (jLevelBuilder - beta_1.0)
- find the "resources/tilesets/Lemmings/" directory
- in this dir, you'll find a dir for Lemmings' every tileset (Helpers are in these dirs). Fill these dirs with Lemmings' graphic data (because of obvious copyright issues, I can't provide Lemmings' graphics). So how to do that?
- a) if you have Lemmini installed, well, simply copy here all items from Lemmini's tilesets (example for "brick" tileset: copy from "brick.ini" to "brickom_7.gif" in the "brick" folder, and do the same for all tilesets). EASY! nothing else to do!
- b) if you don't have Lemmini installed on your computer, then search on YouTube for "Lemmini Lemmix", and follow the installation steps shown in the "How to set up Lemmix level creator with lemmini level player" tutorial. When it's done, copy the Lemmings graphics from your Lemmini's gfx folder to the level-editor's gfx folder (see step "a)" above).
- launch jLevelBuilder.jar, and you're ready to make a level! ("j" stands for "Java")
(then, in the editor, the 1st thing to do is to select the tileset you want to use: brick, dirt, snow, ...)

2) SET YOUR OWN CONFIGURATION (optionnal)
you can freely modify the "config.ini" and the "keyconfig.ini" text-files located in software's root-dir.
For example, if you want to adjust GUI's size according to your screen's dimension or if you want to change default directories, then go editing "config.ini".
Key configuration is best modified directly from the level-editor's GUI ("Options" > "Key configuration")
You'll find backups of the original files in the "_backups_" folder.

3) TOOL TIPS
if you don't know what this button or value does, then just leave your mouse over it few seconds to make the component's description appear.

4) MATH FORMULA
I have to write stuff on this one, because it is probably not very clear on how to use it.
Basically:
- in the level, select all the items you want to be affected by your Math formula
- in the "Math Formula" window, select if your math formula will affect items' posX or posY
- work your maths :D, and write a formula which results in a single value
- click "Compute" and you're done
- For convenience, I have already written some math templates you'll find in a list at the bottom of the "Math" window: you just have to fill the blanks between operators
- Knowing that, it should be ok to start with this feature, and I'll write more detailed explanations later (specially about the incremental stuff)

5) LEVELS IN ADVANCED MODE (VS LEVELS IN LEMMINGS MODE)
At the time being, I still have work on extra features for the "Advanced" mode (.xml saves, level's ID, level's password, groups, item 90°-rotation, ...), so you can only make levels for classic Lemmings (but that should be ok, right? :D). Therefore "Level Format" is stuck to "Lemmings", and features that are disabled are just linked with "Advanced" mode, so you can ignore them atm.

6) UNDO/REDO
30 steps backward, 30 steps forward

7) WHAT CAN I DO WITH THIS LEVEL-EDITOR? WHERE IS THE LIST OF ALL THE FEATURES?
I can't stress enough the fact that you should read the list of available actions on level-editor's official page (http://www.lesjeuxlesplusmieux.com/jlevelbuilder.html), and test each option at least once. Otherwise, you'll probably miss some convenient features.
From the GUI's "Key Config" window, you can also have a good look at the available actions.

8 ) SYNTAX ERRORS
I'm not an english-native speaker, so if english-native speakers find syntax errors on the official page or in the GUI (tooltips, for example), feel free to tell me about a fix! Thanks!

9) BUGS
I have tried my best to provide a functionnal tool, but you'll find bugs I missed for sure: so please report them here. If possible, try to be precise, and maybe post a screenshot or provide a download link for the buggy level. Thank you!

10) NEW FEATURES?
Of course, I'm ok to add new features, so if you have ideas about some new features, feel free to submit them! :D

11) DONATIONS
You can freely download the level-editor from my website.
If you're feeling generous, and find the tool useful, then you can make a Paypal donation on the download page. Thank you very much!

12) CONCLUSION
Now it's time for you, guys, to work (I have finished my job, no?... well, not yet, actually, since there will be plenty of bugs to fix :D), and to show us what kind of new levels you can bring to Lemmings in 2013, using features that even DMA didn't have, when they created levels for the original Lemmings (I think of paths, clones, favorites, entityID-reindexing, list-sorting, thumbnail list, helpers...). Now, I'm really excited to see what YOU! will create with this level-editor!

Let the game begin!

download link: http://www.lesjeuxlesplusmieux.com/jlevelbuilder.html

PS: I've just noticed that the current version of the editor lacks info about the way to create circle paths. I'll fix it in the next version. Anyway, when you finished with a path (= all segments drawn), you have to commit your path by clicking again on the "Create Path" key ("p" by default). For creating circles of entities, commit circle-path using "SHIFT+p" instead of just "p" (classic path). Sorry for the inconvenience...

PS2: the editor lacks an "hourglass" icon when performing heavy operations (like commiting circle paths/complex paths, for example). I'll try to fix this and also see how I can optimize some things, but, for the time being, just wait until the job is done (= no need to kill the process 8))... Remember, complex paths/circle paths using many entities are heavy on CPU!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2013, 04:51:59 PM »
Icing on the cake is you can freely create and use your own Helpers to meet your needs!!!!  :thumbsup:

oh okay, I forgot this so yeah, my earlier post was of little concern.
Yay!  :thumbsup: I will be testing it out today, and I'll be sure to notify of the outcome  :)

--------------
EDIT:
I looked at it a little bit.
-Installation was a breeze so that's big plus  :)
-making new levels is working but a little confusing at first. Menu properties like remembering your last opened folder and things like that would be nice. But these are things mostly that will just take getting used to because it's very different from Lemmix.
-I'm having a little trouble opening ini files. I only tried one so far so, I'll do more testing. It opened a lvl level just fine.

specifically; when I opened a ini level it came out in the wrong terrain and glitched, even after selecting the correct terrain in the lower left menu.

-the whole program is rather slow, idk if this is normal or just my computer. I didn't try the advanced features yet, looking forward to that  :)
I Don't mean to be a downer, just trying to point out problems sooner rather than later.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2013, 09:52:12 PM »
First things first: thank you very much for your feedback!

-Menu properties like remembering your last opened folder and things like that would be nice.
Yes, you're right. I have to fix this: it would be convenient.
Until the fix, you could edit the "config.ini" file to set your favorite directory-paths (instead of the default ones)

-I'm having a little trouble opening ini files. I only tried one so far so, I'll do more testing.
specifically; when I opened a ini level it came out in the wrong terrain and glitched, even after selecting the correct terrain in the lower left menu.
Is it possible to provide me a download link for the level which causes troubles? I'm afraid it is the only solution for me to find and fix this bug. Thank you!

-the whole program is rather slow, idk if this is normal or just my computer.
Yes, I think I can optimize some code to speed up things, but I didn't want to postpone again the release of the level-editor. I'll see what I can do!

I Don't mean to be a downer, just trying to point out problems sooner rather than later.
And you're absolutely right! Thank you very much!

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2013, 10:09:58 PM »
Good on you that must of been a lot of work there LJPM.  :thumbsup:  It will probably take me a while to get used to it as I'm kind of slow at trying to figure things out.

It looks like it's going to make the whole level building experience a lot easier. 

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2013, 12:05:48 AM »
I'm wondering, are there any tools out there to rip (and resize - without any antialiasing, preferably) the terrain pieces from the Ground0o/Vgagr0 files from DOS? (If not, I might look into making something myself... I know there's extractors for these files, so then it's just a matter of converting them into GIF.)

Just because I remember hearing the hi-res graphics from the Windows versions (which is what Lemmini extracts) aren't always perfect.
My Lemmings projects