Author Topic: Made my very first levels for lemmini  (Read 10481 times)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
Made my very first levels for lemmini
« on: May 26, 2013, 02:31:17 PM »
Hi Everyone

I've been using the lemmix utility for making the levels up but I have had a problem well not a big problem to be honest.  How do you give the levels a title because usually I type in the title of the level then when I play that level it just comes up with level 1, Probably a small mistake I'm doing.

What's the best website to upload the levels? I was looking at Mindless, I might maybe go for that one.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Made my very first levels for lemmini
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 03:24:53 AM »
try clicking on another field in the status menu after entering the title. Sometimes If you don't do this and save, it "forgets" whatever last entry you made in the stats. I've experienced this a number of times.

I'd upload at Mindless database and here as well. I honestly don't know of any better place.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 12:10:41 PM »
Hi Mobius

Thanks Mobius

I managed to get that sorted, you are right what ever the last bit on the menu you click on that undoes itself unless you click on another section in the menu.

That's me got my levels uploaded on Mindless, they are kind of a mixed base so you have your hero type one's also there are a couple of puzzle one's and there is a nightmare as well.

Here's my level pack here if anyone wants to try them.

http://lemmings-db.camanis.net/levelpack/ag1zfmxlbW1pbmdzLWRichELEglMZXZlbFBhY2sY4s4FDA/

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 05:28:41 PM »
Hi grams88, I remember you from your Best Level Pak topic, which was the topic where I posted my very first post in these forums a year ago. :) I like that topic a lot, there were many interesting suggestions about level packs from different people.

It's always nice to see new custom levels! I played your level pack recently. Here are some comments you might want to know and perhaps learn from:

- All levels (except Lemmings at work) have Release Rate as 0. Remember to set RR for every level.
- Screen start in every level is at the left edge of the map (value "0"), it can be set in the level properties window (F10). Value "640" means that the screen start is placed in the middle of the map. Choosing "View" and "Screen start" will help you setting the screen start to a suitable position.
- Some of the levels are placed at the left of the map. If you want to move/center your levels for aesthetic purposes, you can always press "a" key to select everything in the editor and then arrow keys to move them.
- If you want to integrate objects/terrain pieces nicely together, the inspector window (F11) might help you changing the x- and y-positions of the objects/terrain pieces.

I hope this helps you! :)

What comes to the levels, I feel like you followed timfoxxy's Van Clan Lemmings levels (which you said in Best Level Pak topic you liked) to some extent. They seem to be pretty much endurance type levels. :) Some people don't like massive builder maps, especially if they are played without savestates and quick restart, like in Lemmini. Even with fast forward some maps can take quite a long to play. I'm not a huge fan of endurance levels, they are too much mechanic performing usually without puzzle aspect. But this type of levels surely belong to Lemmings, and if they are extremely well designed, they can at best be very fun!

Calder Glen is an easy level to begin. Dying Lemmings is about building and bombing, and Linear Level puts you to think a little how to control the crowd. I guess you referred to The Havoc of three with that nightmare level you said, but for me, the level I liked the least was the huge Snow Endurance. :P That took some time to solve, and even the time limit of 9 minutes was dangerous, the crowd had to be released in time. The bubble levels, Burst Pipe and Stuck in the Pipe, were my favourites, and especially the latter one seemed to be the most puzzle type level in this pack. One positive surprise for me was 08 BC Lost Temple, which turned out to be a tricky skill conserving puzzle, although it was a bit too lengthy level to my taste (the distances could be a lot shorter, and the level would still retain its puzzle). The skills had to be placed carefully or you could waste too many builders. Nice work!

There was one level which I think to be impossible, it is Lemmings at work. I can't save even one lemming, because there is only 5 builders, and that level contains so many gaps, that there is no way to get lemmings to the exit as I see it. Is this level really solvable? ??? I suppose those little gaps between some pieces are not meant to be there. 38 lemmings are supposed to save out of 40, but it would need few builders more. Also, the exit seems to hover upon the floor.

I made replays of my solutions if you are interested, they're attached to this post. To view a replay in Lemmini, you have to use "Load Level" option, then choose a level, and after loading that level you need to use "Load Replay" option. Trying to view replays from "Select Level" option won't work.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 04:05:12 AM »
Long building levels are the type of levels that a person who is new to Lemmings editors would make. I did the same thing, when I first startled making levels in the PSP Lemmings, with the stairs being at 99. Now when I look back at them, their are my worst levels.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 02:09:17 PM »
A big thanks to yourself Akseli for taking the time to try my first level pack out also look forward to seeing the solutions as it's not always going to be the same solution I intended so it will be interesting.  I'll probably have a look at that the now if I have time, thanks.

I was wondering with the start position because in some of the levels the start position was a bit off to say the least but now I know how yeah that will make things a lot easier in the future.  :D

I noticed with some of the levels when I am placing objects together they seem slightly off.  That was something about lemmings I really liked was the architecture especially with the lemmings two the tribes levels, I thought they were done really well.  The Dying Lemmings level I really liked the way this turned out architecture wise as with the annoying trees and branches. 

I have to agree with the bubble levels they ended up turning out quite nice and I thought the puzzle aspect would of been nice in these types.  The burst bubble one is interesting because of a certain trick you have to use to get the lemmings up slightly but if you know your lemmings then the level will be a piece of cake.   :D

The lemmings at work level I was a bit cheeky with this one and hid another the exit under the bricks right around the start of the level.  I don't think it's possible doing it the other way as I tried to make it look if it was possible as to trick the player.  I do have an evil side to my lemmings levels  :evil: but nevertheless interesting tactic I used.  This level might be a bit too cheeky I think.

I hope the havoc of three level doesn't make people pull out there hair.

I remember the Best level pak topic quite well, going back a year or so.  You and me must of joined the forum around the same time I think.

And again I really appreciate your input thanks Akseli

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 11:51:29 AM »
Oh, now you gave the solution away for that level. :D Lemmings at work spoilers, highlight to read:
Oh man, I didn't even think about that choice, you tricked me totally. Though I definitely should have realized that, that gimmick was used at first in Lost something? in the original Lemmings, and it's used in many many custom levels after that, too. I also knew that the description for your pack in the level database said that every level has been confirmed to be solvable in Lemmini. I was too short-tempered argh :--D Though yeah, you are right about cheekiness of that level, I think that most Lemmings players really don't like hidden exits and some think that it's just plain bad level designing. I solved Lemmings at work now, but yep, you really managed to trick me, so your level sort of worked! :--D I'd still strongly suggest you not to do that again. ;D

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 04:27:17 PM »
That was interesting watching your replays seeing some different solutions to the levels especially the level stuck in a pipe, I never even thought of that solution so welldone to yourself. :) :)  With the snow endurance level that was a tough one especially getting the lemmings in on time.

Maybe in the future I might make some more levels up, I really enjoyed doing that for the first time around the month of May.

The best thing about making levels is everyone usually has there own style so makes things really interesting.

Thanks AKseli

Oh by the way I think (RTW) Round the wheel is making some more lemmings videos.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 03:47:06 PM »
I'm trying a different approach this time when making the levels or more like planning the puzzle.  I hope it is not seen as lazy but I'm using the original and Oh no more lemming levels and making it in a way that it feels like you are playing a new level as some of the exits are in different locations.

I'll be almost finished soon then I'll upload them to the mindless website, Try minimacs levels at the top as well they look quite good. :thumbsup:

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 09:38:04 PM »
It's not a lazy idea but I hope you aren't going to just swap the entrance and the exit, because we've already covered a topic for that idea. Just letting you know. :)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 12:01:25 AM »
One or two of the levels I might have done that but I have changed a lot of the skills.

Here's my second pack which I think is a lot more harder than my first. I hope it's okay

http://lemmings-db.camanis.net/levelpack/ag1zfmxlbW1pbmdzLWRichELEglMZXZlbFBhY2sYst4FDA/

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
I might of overused the bombing skill
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 02:44:33 PM »
I was thinking to myself that some of the level puzzles I planned in my new level pack might of overused the bombing skill but then again I'm proud of how the puzzle element in my new pack turned out.  I used a lot of the oh no more levels also one of two of the normal ones and sort of made the solution more trickier.

http://lemmings-db.camanis.net/levelpack/ag1zfmxlbW1pbmdzLWRichELEglMZXZlbFBhY2sYst4FDA/

I noticed something which was there was only nine levels showing there, but the only level set it wasn't showing was the bubble tile set ones even in my first pack I made.  Just an observation not to bothered with it anyway.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 01:24:31 PM »
I looked at your second levelpack and the reason why I haven't posted earlier is that there's again one level which I haven't beated yet... :P I decided to give my input now still. High Sand Castle is pretty hard, no idea for that one still, and now I checked it in case of the cheap tricks also. ;P

I liked this pack a lot more than your first one! Although I appreciate self-made levels much more than taking layouts from already-existing levels. Still, you managed to get some rather interesting puzzles to most of these levels! I especially liked all the Brick level remakes. Sacrifice tricked me also for a moment. In Plan Carefully I used rather unknown Lemmini glitch/trick, didn't find any other solution. I really wonder which might be the intended solutions for all these levels? Attached again my solutions.

In my opinion you definitely didn't overuse walking bombers, as you said making a new topic (that message would have suited better in this topic imo, double/multiple posting isn't a bad thing!) The bomber skill placements were very lenient, they were far from annoying. And yes, no one of Lemmini bubble levels aren't shown in the Lemmings Level Database preview for some reason. Overall very nice job with this levelpack!

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 11:58:05 PM »
Thanks Akseli

Don't worry the high sand castle level hasn't got a hidden exit or anything like that  :thumbsup: but yes it probably is a hard one to complete especially trying to get up to the exit.  I thought to myself maybe this time I might use the levels from the original and oh no and try and make a really difficult puzzle out of them.   

I will tell you what I'll let you know if it was the intended solution for each level the way you completed them.   (see if you tricked me)

I look forward to seeing the solutions.   

The level pack I played recently was one of the older ones which was mikespak09, really good pack as the levels start off kind of easy then they get difficult especially Alone in the Jungle,

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 12:46:30 AM »
Welldone to yourself Akseli

Here's me comparing the solutions with yourself

Go for life yes pretty much the same solution as me.  I guess it's an easy one to start off with.

House Location change, you done that way different to myself quite impressed with the solution.

Lemming Factory pretty much the same solution, I liked the trick you had to do in this one, One of my favorites

Ten allowed to die, You done it slightly different to me, I liked the way you got them in at the end  :thumbsup:

A tiny problem yes the same as me,

Sacrifice, I like that one nice solution which is a tiny bit different to mines.

Plan carefully, yeah that was a good trick you used, I like it.

Mr Havoc has returned, This is one I want to change slightly but nevertheless welldone to yourself

I might change Mr Havoc has returned as I think I might made the solution a bit too easy.

Sorry to say this but I edited the Mr Havoc has returned level to make it more harder.