Author Topic: Lemmings Level Jam - #1  (Read 31388 times)

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
Lemmings Level Jam - #1
« on: March 21, 2013, 04:20:20 AM »
Thanks to Geoo for suggesting I run the next contest.

I think it'd be good to have our first Level Jam to take us to the end of the month, before starting our next serious competition in April.

As this is the first Level Jam, I feel it'd be appropriate to use the original five styles to create the level - the style with the highest number of votes will win.  I've also randomly selected three topics to choose from, and again, the topic with the highest number of votes will win.

Copypastaing from geoo here.. here are the rules:
Level design phase.

Deadline
As this is a short and fun contest, the deadline for level submissions is Wednesday, April 10th, at noon UTC. (May be extended upon popular demand or if I end up needing an overnight stay in hospital.)

Submission
You may submit only one level. There are two ways of submitting a level:
1. You can post them in this thread. Then players can attempt your level already before the deadline. If you update your level, please post a notification and make clear which version of your level is the one to be used in the contest.
2. You can send your level via PM to me if you don't want other players to see your level before the deadline. If you don't trust me, you can send me the level in an encrypted archive, and send me the password within one day of the deadline.

Theme
The topic of the contest is to design a level using the crystal style with NO builders.

Platform
The game the levels have to be designed for is Lemmix, specifically 'Custom Lemmings' viewer style.
If you have trouble setting up Lemmix, feel free to ask here.

Glitches
Levels must be solvable without glitches. To determine what is a glitch and what isn't, use these lists for reference: non-glitches and glitches. If some behaviour is not listed in the glitches list, you should be safe (unless it's something really obscure; try to use common sense here.) Note however that other players may use glitches to solve your levels, so you should try to protect your level against glitchy solutions.

Level solving phase.

Levels
I will try to post all level within one day of the level submission deadline.

Deadline
The level solving phase will probably last about 10 days as well, but may be longer if many levels are submitted. The exact deadline for phase 2 will be announced once the levels are posted.

Submission
I will post the solution to my level (and votes) one day before the deadline in an encrypted archive, and I will not change them. I will announce the password for the archive once the deadline has passed.
Submit your solutions to me via PM (as an attachment). Solutions may be posted in an encrypted archive, and the password sent one day before the deadline.

Scoring
3 categories:
  • Most original level
  • Best looking level
  • Most fun level

Stealth edit: Unlike in the main contests, you can rate every level - give each level a rating between 1 and 10 in each category. 1 is the lowest score, 10 is the highest score. You must vote for every level in this Jam. The level with the highest combined score wins!

Voting
Submit your votes in a PM (it can be the same PM as the one with the solutions). You can put them in a text file and encrypt them as well if you want.

If anyone has any suggestions for modifications to the rules, feel free to suggest them. If the general consensus is that the rule change will benefit the contest, then it shall be changed.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Level Jam - #1
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 06:06:48 AM »
For the voting, instead of using the system where we distribute 6 votes over the levels like in the first contest, I'd suggest that for each level, we give a rating in each category (i.e. some value between 0 and 1, or if you prefer integers, perhaps something between 0 and 10). Has the advantage that you don't just pick your favourites, but rate everything.

As for the theme, I went with 'no terrain removal skills', as 'no builders' seems like a nice theme for a full-fledged contest (unlike 'no terrain removal skills', which is more restrictive and thus perhaps nicer for a jam).

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 06:35:27 AM »
For the voting, instead of using the system where we distribute 6 votes over the levels like in the first contest, I'd suggest that for each level, we give a rating in each category (i.e. some value between 0 and 1, or if you prefer integers, perhaps something between 0 and 10). Has the advantage that you don't just pick your favourites, but rate everything.

Good plan, geoo!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:26:38 PM »
Hmm, once again I want to mention that intuitively I'm not in favor of having everyone's levels all using the same graphics set.  However, they say try anything once, so I suppose we can all live through that at least one time and see if it's worthwhile or not. :-\ ;)

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 11:47:03 PM »
There's no harm in trying a same-style level competition once.. it might turn out to be fun, it might turn out to be crap. There's only one way to find out!

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 11:49:11 PM »
Just to let you all know, the poll closes in about 4 hours' time.

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
Re: Lemmings Level Jam - #1 - LET THE JAMMING BEGIN
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 04:25:19 AM »
And the poll is closed!

The winning categories are: Crystal Theme & No Builders!

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 07:12:50 AM »
Just wondering, considering there's no scoring for most levels solved or anything, wouldn't it be easier to just post solutions here if we wanted instead of sending them back and forth? After all, it's just about presenting an interesting level.

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 07:18:32 AM »
Sure!

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 05:59:06 PM »
Hi there.
I finally got my Lemmix player working (thanks to Akseli) so I think I'll make a level for this contest ! :)
Now to find some ideas...

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 08:57:32 PM »
lol “least favorite terrain theme” turned into everybody’s favorite theme. Now I kind of wish I voted for one of the other options as I made a crystal level with no builders not long ago (one of my newest levels). And I forgot to vote for the terrain set altogether. But out of all the options I think I do like this one the best… Doing something out of your comfort zone always yields the best, if not, most amusing results.

I was really looking forward to ISteve making a level in something one of the “bad” sets. :P

nice to see you here Pieuw :)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 10:01:18 PM »
I was really looking forward to ISteve making a level in something one of the “bad” sets. :P

I promise I'll put a Rock level in ISteve11  8)

I definitely have some ideas for this, let's see how everything turns out
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 01:05:13 AM »
It's like as if the poll looked through my PSP memory stick and saw my level. I have an unfinished no builder crystal level, that I never got around finishing, because I couldn't come up with how the rest of the place should look like and I will get bored of staring at the level for too long.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 08:14:21 AM »
lol “least favorite terrain theme” turned into everybody’s favorite theme.

Don't look at me, I voted for Fire :)

On the plus side, this means we can save our real least favourite theme for the full contest :D

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 06:40:53 AM »
Hey, I'm the first to come up with a level idea that fits both aspects. :)

This is called the Electric Factory. The level uses blockers, bombers and bashers instead of builders.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3