Author Topic: Lemmings Level Jam - #1  (Read 31534 times)

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
Re: Lemmings Level Jam - #1 - LET THE JAMMING BEGIN
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 11:02:19 PM »
Attachments are now fixed. We still have all the old avatars and attachments saved, we're just trying to figure out how to restore them.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2013, 11:17:40 PM »
Solved Clam's level now (v2).

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 04:01:37 AM »
I forgot all about this old level. http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=661.0 It's my no builder crystal and one that is finished.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 07:56:26 AM »
Solved Clam's level now (v2).

Whoops, they fall past the trap now instead of in it.

v3 attached

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »
I played my level in Lemmix and it reminded me why it was annoying back then. It's harder to free a blocker with a miner in the old Lemmings, because a blocker can turn a miner around. The blocker can't do that in the PSP, making it less frustrating. It took me a lot of restarts to find where exactly do you start mining. The solution is slightly different, due how much pixel the miner removes.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 03:27:25 PM »
Hmm, my solution to your level doesn't use this trick at all:

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 04:19:13 PM »
I sent my entry to Adam last week, didn't know everyone would directly attach their levels here.
So, I guess you'll see it on April 8th ;P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
I played my level in Lemmix and it reminded me why it was annoying back then. It's harder to free a blocker with a miner in the old Lemmings, because a blocker can turn a miner around. The blocker can't do that in the PSP, making it less frustrating. It took me a lot of restarts to find where exactly do you start mining. The solution is slightly different, due how much pixel the miner removes.

I guess it's annoying if you are used to the PSP behavior.  But otherwise it just comes down to start mining farther away from the blocker than you may be used to doing.  If the level forces you to start mining very close to the blocker, then consider redesigning it.

I sent my entry to Adam last week, didn't know everyone would directly attach their levels here.

I think geoo suggested it over at IRC, not sure if anything was said in the forums about it.  The idea is that since there is no scoring around solving of the levels for this jam, levels and solutions can be posted immediately and openly without affecting the outcome.

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2013, 08:44:08 PM »
Ok, it makes sense !
Here it is then, because I don't think I can wait another week... :D

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 10:15:44 PM »
I voted for Pillar (probably my least favourite tileset although I like all of them) and for 'no terrain removal skills'. :P However, the chosen theme is very nice.

I promise I'll put a Rock level in ISteve11  8)
I'll anticipate that! :D ISteve10 had fortunately one Snow and one Dirt level, but Rock is the only tileset I haven't seen Steve using.

Ok, I found an old level dated Feb 2011 which I don't remember posting here (though I might have),
I recognised that level right from the title, I found it from the one type of skill topic a while ago. That's also where I came up with 'one type of skill' idea for a contest theme choice.

Here's Luis' No Builders topic, related to the theme of this jam.

It's awesome to see here people who didn't participate yet in the first level designing contest! Great job Adam, minimac, Pieuw and Luis. :thumbsup:

Btw I find these levels harder than those levels in the previous contest. I solved all the 1-of-each-skill levels the first day but now I'm having hard times with almost everyone of these builderless levels... anybody else feeling similarly? :P

I finished my level during the site maintenance break, here it is. It's quite different type of level than my first one. The title is a tribute to Jazz Jackrabbit game in case someone wonders that. :--D

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2013, 10:34:30 PM »
geoo's solution to v-4 is pretty close to intended, but it's a bit better optimised which opens up a lot of possible other routes all things considered. I'll have to see what I want to do to to this, but I also want to fix the appearance of the pond since in fixing that part I sort of made it look ugly when you actually solve the level, oops  :(

EDIT: I made a couple changes here have a v-3, also mobius your sister has horns and red eyes  :o
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 10:58:06 PM »
Hmm, my solution to your level doesn't use this trick at all:

That solution made me realized something different about the ice.

In the PSP, the climber can climb that part of the ice, making him walk all the way to the vertical terrain and not reach the exit on time. This can be fixed with erasers.

I guess it's annoying if you are used to the PSP behavior.  But otherwise it just comes down to start mining farther away from the blocker than you may be used to doing.  If the level forces you to start mining very close to the blocker, then consider redesigning it.

I tested the miner in Lemmini and it seems to have fixed the problem of blockers turning miners around.

I have a replay to mazeochismVnegative v3. It looks backrouted, since it doesn't use up all the skills.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2013, 03:57:38 AM »
Yea, that's not quite intended (albeit very clever, nicely spotted). You can probably even save 21 with good timing by collide stopping using that method. Back to revising  8)

That said, you will not use all tasks in the intended solution, either  :P
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2013, 10:40:41 PM »
Solution to Utopia. (Saves 1 Climber, 1 Blocker)
EDIT) And also Miracle Freezly (Saves 1 Miner, 1 Blocker)
EDIT2) Now Crysilis. This has to be the wierdest solution I have ever found and is obviously both wrong and overcomplicated. (Saves 1 Blocker, 1 Basher)

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 10:01:47 AM »
Well done Gronkling ! It's just slightly backroutish, you got most of the intended plan. Here's v2.