Author Topic: The brick set level pack  (Read 4389 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
The brick set level pack
« on: November 19, 2011, 06:20:32 PM »
So then. It seems like I am starting to use the creative side of my brain more often than solving challenges. (I.e. the right side rather my left side of my brain) :P

Below this post is a set of levels which are all brick based levels. I have recently seen the poll shown here, and it is now a tied vote between Brick and Bubble. (Still not changing my vote though, which is brick and snow) While bubble looks good, it's quite hard to create a solid challenge, as there were only two of those levels in the Havoc rating and even they aren't as hard as you think. This is primarily because of the whole style lacking any steel objects. This is why I decided to choose brick all the way.

Now, all these levels I have created are designed to fill in the slots of the non-brick based levels. There were 55 slots altogether to fit, and I managed to get a few exciting levels in the pack too. The first several levels are based on a "training ground" that I have created to fit in several different types of two-skill challenges. I hope you enjoy this all-brick set remake!
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: The brick set level pack
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 03:30:01 AM »
I actually downloaded the pack as soon as it was posted, but forgot about it until now :-[

I suppose it makes sense to comment on the training map first, since it accounts for nearly half the levels in the pack. :) I very much like the idea of re-using the same map and moving the entrance and exit to make a different level, and there's a good set of multi-purpose obstacles to achieve that. The difficulty curve is nice too. You could make a decent level going from pretty much any point to anywhere else on the map. It's a bit of a random mish-mash of terrain chunks, especially towards the right, but since it is a training map the randomness suits the theme if anything. Probably my only real gripe is that a couple of levels use more than the specified two skills, eg. 'bomb and dig' has a miner, while you could use another digger instead - dig to the left of the exit and you're fine.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 04:46:28 AM »
I skipped over the practice levels, but I got around to play about half of the other levels.
They aren't quite as hard as some other levels here, but still each of them features a non-trivial and clean (i.e. no glitches or obscure tricks) puzzle. Mostly nice and short, and no hero-lemming tedious builder fests. And I like the design too.
I think this is a style of levels that can appeal to a wide audience of players: The casual player who wants to have some fun solving puzzles without using glitches or writhing in despair at the difficulty of the level, but also someone like me to have a break from the really hard levels and go for a somewhat milder challenge, or even a beginner who just learned how the skills work and wants to have a go at the first real puzzles.
What I really like about them is that they can be solved by just looking at them, and execution usually works at the first try.
That said, I think this is really a pack I can recommend everyone to play.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:18:59 AM »
That's great! I was relieved to get rid of "Square World" in the last minute and replace it with a much more sophisticated level, the "Counting their chickens" level.

Probably my only real gripe is that a couple of levels use more than the specified two skills, eg. 'bomb and dig' has a miner, while you could use another digger instead - dig to the left of the exit and you're fine.

While I was making those levels I presumed that the miner and digger were too similar, because both of them dig in a downwards direction. The other level that had three skills is the "Bomb and Build" challenge. It was quite a difficult little level with a small time limit (Probably the hardest Tame level ever if I had to order them all) and it would be difficult trying to time your bombers next to the ceiling, which is why I put an additional blocker to make things easier.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3