Author Topic: Lemmings Plus DOS Project  (Read 39038 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus DOS Project - Downloads
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 07:27:10 AM »
@geoo:
PSYCHO 2 & 5 - It's actually quite simple to time 2, but I fully agree with you on 5. Still, it's hard to make that trick work without requiring a good degree of timing.
PSYCHO 6 - Although it's among the easiest PSYCHO levels, I find it very fun as well.
PSYCHO 9 - It's not random at the bottom if you're doing it right, and the time isn't *that* tight. It's well possible to do with over half a minute to spare.
PSYCHO 11 - Probably is one then. =P
PSYCHO 12 - Great work if you did manage fewer.
PSYCHO 15 - Yeah, it is a bit dragged out, but it's hard to make this kind of design without being so.
PSYCHO 16 - It's surprisingly easy to do once you get a feel for the pattern.
PSYCHO 20 - Glad to hear it, this level took so much fine-tuning to get working properly.
PSYCHO 21 - That's the whole plan - imply a fancy solution, then actually use a pretty simple one (that's still kind of tricky, though)
PSYCHO 22 - Not much to say on this one, you pretty much summed it up.
PSYCHO 23 - Haven't watched your replay, but I can guess what you mean, and I know how to fix it.
PSYCHO 24 - You do indeed need to put the blocker in the way. This wasn't the original intention, but when I found out that it happens, I was left with no other possiblity. It still, however, sounds as if you may not have done it how I did, since my solution, the blocker stands under the trap, therefore no lemming should pass under it unaffected; it's simply a matter of traps not affecting blockers.
PSYCHO 26 - cc's PM'd me on this one, I'll get back to you after watching the replay.
PSYCHO 27 - It's meant to be easy... look at all the insane levels around it. =P That being said, I think you need to give the left-exit solution a bit more credit... =P
PSYCHO 28 - I love this level too. There's so many completely different ways to solve it, yet no matter what route you take, it's still a challenge.
PSYCHO 30 - It's actually one of my old levels, believe it or not. Still one of my best creations to date. It was originally designed for WinLemm, I was very surprised when I found it worked in DOS as well, and decided to put it in.

@IS:
Danger 21 - You're given plenty of spare skills, just be careful with the timing of doing the trick altogether.
PSYCHO 7 - This one is one of my favourites, and TBH wouldn't've been out of place closer to the end of PSYCHO. It probably won't be that d'oh at all.
PSYCHO 16 uses a very clever trick (wouldn't call it a glitch though) that I discovered while trying to minimize bashers on Taxing 8. It requires very good timing.
You'll hit yourself when you work out PSYCHO 24 if you're stuck on the end part. Keep in mind that a trap will never affect a blocker if you're stuck with the start.
PSYCHO 30 is just a matter of finding ways to perform the same task with less skills - in the same way PSYCHO 29 is, really, but to a much larger extent.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2009, 07:28:19 AM »
Ok, I'll think about those.

Anyways, here's Medi 11 0 builders challenge. Took a lot longer than I thought it would to pull off.

EDIT: Ok so I thought about it for a while and managed to pass PSYCHO 30. Really nice level. Now I just have to go back and get the rest of them...
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2009, 08:44:17 AM »
Interesting... you also took a right-side solution on that challenge, like geoo did on that level's harder version, whereas I took a left-side solution in both cases...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2009, 07:32:18 PM »
Passwords work well now. I reached Medi. Forgotten what it's called but I'm on the level which has 7 of each skill :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2009, 09:46:42 PM »
"Take Us All Home"?

Quote from: A hint
Take the obvious route.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2009, 12:19:01 PM »
"Take Us All Home"?

Quote from: A hint
Take the obvious route.

I passed that. I'm at Ghostly Hall now. Tricky!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 04:05:23 AM »
Ghostly Hall isn't as bad as you might think. It's more a matter of memory than anything else.
My Lemmings projects

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2009, 08:24:19 AM »
Ok finally got a challenge for this:

complete Medi 19 (Force Field): Save 95+%, 3 builders, no diggers, 2 of everything else. I think this is a bit harder than the Danger equivalent but experienced players shouldn't find this too bad.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2009, 09:05:52 AM »
Sorry to disappoint you, but that was easy...

Quote from: Spoilers
...as long as you know the trick to PSYCHO 30.
My Lemmings projects

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2009, 09:35:04 AM »
Sorry to disappoint you, but that was easy...

Quote from: Spoilers
...as long as you know the trick to PSYCHO 30.

hmmm, I though there was at least one more trick needed than just that one, maybe not though if it's easy when you know how that. Though that comment suggests that you did it fairly similarly to how I did.

EDIT: yea you skipped the other "challenging" step that I used for my replay. In that case yea that's not terribly hard but I suppose I'd throw it out there for everyone else.  :P

EDIT2: Here's a slightly revised version that forces (I think) the 2nd step that you didn't need to use. It's more a bonus challenge than a real one, since this isn't the same as the level in the pack.

EDIT2b: That doesn't make it much harder at all really, ok one blocker only also.

EDIT3: As a bit of retaliation, here's Medi 22's challenge. 100% saved, too.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 09:05:45 AM »
Any new acheivements? I've finished the skills-you-can't-live-without for Medi.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2010, 11:13:29 AM »
Here's a challenge for someone to match: Save 93% on Danger 1.

Also still waiting for anyone else to acheive 100% on Danger 29.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2010, 08:55:42 AM »
Yet another Danger 29 challenge: Complete the level using only two builders (all other skills are unrestricted). This is probably my hardest challenge so far for this pack.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it should be possible with only one. However, I'm yet to actually test this, can't be bothered right now, so until I do, the challenge (and the record on the first page) stands at 2 builders.

EDIT AGAIN: Danger 29 with 1 builder confirmed. So, the challenge is now to match that. =P

Some info on my solution (highlight to read)

Minor stuff:

Saved: 70% (21 lemmings), the level requires 66% (20 lemmings)
Time taken: Level ended on a timeout, last saved lemming exited with 5 seconds remaining
Skills used: 9 climbers, 4 floaters, 1 bomber, 10 blockers, 1 builder (obviously), 10 bashers, 10 miners, 10 diggers.

Major stuff:

The release rate was changed at the start then left the same for the entire level.
All three of the blocker-pushing-into-wall glitch, the climbing-through-terrain glitch and the sliding glitch were used. All of those except the sliding glitch were used multiple times.
All but three of the blockers used were freed. One of those three was bombed, the other two remained at the end.

Solution:

Way too complicated to explain. Replay attached.

Because of how close to impossible this seems (especially given the design of the level and that you only have 2 minutes and 10 of each skill), I've attached the replay already. Still, if you're the sort who enjoys these things, try to beat it yourself first!
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus DOS Project - Downloads (Updated 7/25/10)
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2010, 04:21:02 PM »
Version 4 has been released. This has level updates as well, so even if you're using the data files you'll need to redownload it. For the player, all the latest ccexplore updates are also incorporated.

Levels modified
Mild 20 "25909" - Renamed to "Stairway to Infinity". There are also some changes to the layout, but none of them affect the solution.
Wimpy 15 "Just When You Think You Know!" - There are some changes to the design that may affect some solutions. These are to fix a backroute in the level's repeat.
Wimpy 20 "A Snowplow Would Be Handy" - There are some changes to the design that may affect some solutions. These are to fix a backroute in the level's repeat.
Medi 6 "Fallen" - There are some changes to the layout, but none of them affect the solution.
PSYCHO 8 "Snowed In!" - There are some changes to fix a backroute. They don't affect the intended solution at all.
PSYCHO 23 "Death Row" - There are some changes to fix a backroute. They don't affect the intended solution at all.
PSYCHO 26 "Oblivion" - There are some changes to fix a backroute. These may break some executions of the intended solution, so if you have a replay, please check if it still works.

In addition, the No Salvation levels have now been renamed "No Salvation I", "No Salvation II", etc.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus DOS Project - Downloads (Updated 7/25/10)
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2010, 10:25:45 AM »
w00t
Just managed to bump up my record on PSYCHO 11 from 96% to 97%.

Anyone else had any new acheivements on this pack? Also, has anyone solved the new, fixed versions of PSYCHO 8 and PSYCHO 23? (The solution to PSYCHO 26 is fairly well known among the older members, for obvious reasons.)
My Lemmings projects