Author Topic: Lemmings Plus DOS Project  (Read 39198 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus DOS Project - Downloads
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 06:30:48 AM »
I've found the fix. Here's the new download link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/315110364/LPDOSLemmix.zip

The codes are backwards compatible. Any code you got given by the old version will work in the new one, even if it was one of the ones that didn't work before.

cc: in LemDosStyles.pas, change "for Lev := 0 to 19 do" to "for Lev := 0 to 29 do".

(PS: Any modifications you make to that file, can you please send me the exact parts that are changed and the new code in a PM, because I've heavily modified that file for the Plus player. Thanks.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 06:14:41 PM »
I've found the fix. Here's the new download link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/315110364/LPDOSLemmix.zip

The codes are backwards compatible. Any code you got given by the old version will work in the new one, even if it was one of the ones that didn't work before.

cc: in LemDosStyles.pas, change "for Lev := 0 to 19 do" to "for Lev := 0 to 29 do".

(PS: Any modifications you make to that file, can you please send me the exact parts that are changed and the new code in a PM, because I've heavily modified that file for the Plus player. Thanks.)

Is there any other way I can download it but have to sign up and pay for being a premium user?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 10:08:45 PM »
Hey namida, for reference, I think the error Joemon is having is that after the free-user 45 second wait and clicking on the "download" button, he gets this error message:

Code: [Select]
You want to download the following file:
http://rapidshare.com/files/315110364/LPDOSLemmix.zip | 2703 KB

The download session has expired. Please click here to start the download again.

Possible reasons:

The download takes too long to be saved.
For this download, in the background your Internet Service Provider has assigned
a new IP address. If you are for example an AOL customer, or use a similar Service
Provider, please try to use a different browser. If this problem persists to exist,
you may want to purchase a Premium Account. As Premium users are not checked
against their IP address, this problem will not occur. Or your internet connection is
too slow to download the complete file within the session time.

I think the real problem might be your link though--I'm not familiar with RapidShare, but are you sure that link you posted is the correct one to use for downloading by other users?  The "315110364" might be a session number that's particular to the one time you downloaded the file yourself, or maybe it's no longer valid once you have updated the file as you did here.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 10:47:32 PM »
The message I get essentially says (translated) that there are no download tickets available for non-members, and that you should purchase a premium account.

I'd recommend to stay away from rapidshare in general, as they seem to come up with all kinds of things to make getting files for there a chore just to get you purchase a premium account.
I for one am pretty much unable to download files from rapidshare at all due to having a shared IP. I only managed to get the last version of LPDOSPlayer after trying out a variety of proxies.

As for the actual levels, I've only got time to play through the first third of Psycho up to now, but I'll carry on whenever I get some more spare time.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 11:37:19 PM »
I'd recommend to stay away from rapidshare in general

The Lemmings File Archive would seem to be a good place to both upload and download LPDOSPlayer.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 03:37:04 AM »
I've tried, and the upload fails every time. Feel free to upload it there yourself if you can (but make sure to set a deletion password so when an update comes out the old one can be removed).

In the meantime, if anyone can't get it on RapidShare, drop me a private message or email and I can send it by email attachment.

@geoo: How did you find PSYCHO so far?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 03:40:42 AM »
I have an FTP account I can upload this to -- it's a really good pack so I'd be happy to host it if you want.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 03:47:36 AM »
Sure, that'd be great. =) Thanks.
My Lemmings projects

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 04:21:50 AM »
Ok, here's the link.

Also expect a challenge to the Danger equivalent of PSYCHO 27 soon, I like the design a lot but it deserves a harder level :P

EDIT2: Here's PSYCHO 27 left exit challenge. I like this one a lot more and I think the right exit should be removed altogether :P
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 06:00:37 AM »
That's how I did it, too. =)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 06:06:26 AM »
NOTE for anyone getting virus reports on the EXE: It does NOT contain a virus. A recent update of Avast! Antivirus had a bug causing all Delphi EXEs to be reported as viruses, the latest update fixes it. The normal Lemmix players and the Lemmix editor will report the same false positives. Update your Avast! again and the reports will go away.
My Lemmings projects

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2009, 12:35:34 AM »
@geoo: How did you find PSYCHO so far?
Played through the rest of Psycho today, so I can give an overall summary now. :) Though I intend to also have a go at the lower tier levels, if I get around to do so sometime.

Some comments on various levels; I won't cover all of them as it'd take way too long, but I'll send you my solutions via PM. If I don't mention a level, it doesn't mean I don't like it; I've also played and commented on some of them previously.

I like the minimalism of 'The parking lot' and 'lightspeed lemming', what I didn't like though that once having the general idea, it comes down to a lot of fine-tuning to get the timing right, which spoils the fun when playing the level a bit.
'The Bulldozer' is one of my favourites, while the base idea is pretty easy to get, you'll still have to think up a setup for it, which is the interesting part in this level.
The time limit for 'Coalburner' turns out to be pretty tight, and the lemmings walking back and forth at the bottom at some kind of random factor to it. I don't think the time challenge adds too much to the level, only some annoyance; apart from that I quite like this level.
I'm pretty certain my solution to 'Three Birds with one Stone' is a backroute, might be interesting to look for the intended solution (as long as these don't involve sending a miner through the three poles through ridiculous bomber timing and builder setup...).
For 'Not Gonna Work' I found a solution with 5 builders (iirc) leftover, while my previous solution used all of them. The terrain shapes on the left allowed me to save quite a lot of builders.
'Where anything goes' again is a level where the timer does add some challenge to it. I quite like this one. I'm glad there's Lemmix' fast forward and skip 10 seconds feature, as I wouldn't want to wait for the bashing/mining distances to be passed in the original game.
My solution to 'crossworks' make use of the frame-assignment to a ridiculous amount. It'd be extremely hard to pull off without these, but I don't see any other solution.
I'm beginning to like 'No Time to Die' more and more. I think the solution this time is the same as the 19 skill solution, just without the floater, but it was surprisingly convenient to pull off; especially taking into account the leftover skills, I'd have plenty opportunity to fix the timing if I had to.
'Kamikaze' is a somewhat weird level. On first glance it looks like you are supposed to employ some technique, especially as there are 15 gaps, and you may lose 5 lems and get 5 builders, but in the end my solution turned out surprisingly unspectacular.
'Twins' is nice simplistic level, I love the simple geometric design to it, and the solution is not difficult, yet not entirely uninteresting.
I don't know what you intended for 'Death Row', but there's a very simply bypass making the level pretty trivial. 'Perfectionism' is also way too easy for its rating, even if you go for the left exit.
'Gone in a Flash' is one of my faviourites, however remembering it having one more builder (I think?) made me realize near the and that my solution doesn't work anymore. In fact, I feel I somewhat cheated on this level, as in order to get the timing right at the beginning, I end up using a blocker to annihilate the trigger area of the trap so one of the lemming can pass it by without getting squished. I'll still have to think up a proper fix for this, I just didn't see any valid alternative at the time.
I know 'Oblivion' from your Cheapo sets, though setting the blockers in the regular way seems very fiddly here. So I kinda bypassed doing it like that. :P
Despite giving you plenty of everything (but builders), 'To The End' is a very interesting level, because despite that it doesn't mean applying the same tricks over and over again. The terrain and specifically set up problems give this level a lot of variety.
And finally, 'Hellfire'. I think it totally deserves its position at the end. I first dismissed the intuitive route as taking way to many terrain removal skills, and looked for alternatives. Taking the strategies from these alternative routes which didn't work out, I noticed that the intuitive route ended up being feasible and was the conclusive solution to the level, which suprised me to quite some extend.

Overall, for most part I enjoyed the levels a lot so far. Unrelated to the levels, why did you choose midis for the level music (the original LemmixPlayer uses modules, doesn't it)? The modules sound way superior, in the end I just turned the music off and played my own music in the background.

On an unrelated note, you might remember I hosted your LP3 sets, and iirc you provided a link to these in some thread. With my previous host going down, the link has changed now: http://geoo.digibase.ca/lemmings/lp3full.zip

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 01:13:00 AM »
I know 'Oblivion' from your Cheapo sets, though setting the blockers in the regular way seems very fiddly here. So I kinda bypassed doing it like that. :P

Hmm, I'll need to PM you on that (in the interest of not saying too much about solutions here), since I did the "staircase" setup for namida on that one and so I'm somewhat obligated to help fix any issues related my contribution to that particular level.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2009, 03:11:40 AM »
The level "A magician would be handy" seems too hard for Wimpy.  Maybe early to mid Medi would have suited it better?

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 04:31:01 AM »
There's a couple levels in PSYCHO that I'm confused as to how they'd even be possible, in particular 16, 24, and 30.

If we're going by "legit" passing (not skipping), I'm on Danger 21 (and will likely NEVER pass it because I just never could do this trick very well) and PSYCHO 7 (I kind of don't see it yet, it'll probably be a big d'oh moment when I get it though).

Also I have 93% on Death Row, yea I think I found a backroute. 95% might be possible with a completely different route but I haven't pulled it off yet.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano