Author Topic: L++: Networked multiplayer Lemmings  (Read 59808 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: L++: Networked multiplayer Lemmings
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2009, 11:27:38 PM »
If it's not too big, you could build it in Lemmix and copy the file over to L++.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2009, 06:21:54 AM »
If it's not too big, you could build it in Lemmix and copy the file over to L++.

Good idea! :thumbsup: I'll do that right now.

Edit: This is not how I wanted this level to turn out at the moment: The L++ editor's level measure in pixels is not exact, which calls for problematic wrapping. The slow level size button counts in 10 pixels, not 1 or 2. I wish that at least one of the following would happen:

* Get Simon to fix the level measure set: Either by letting us fill boxes or by fixing the slow buttons.

* I could get a text document of the level by converting it from .lvl to .txt

The second bullet point makes me ask a question: How can you convert a .lvl file in a .txt document?

Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2009, 07:34:24 AM »
The L++ editor's level measure in pixels is not exact, which calls for problematic wrapping. The slow level size button counts in 10 pixels, not 1 or 2.

I though I mentioned this to Simon already. :-\

How can you convert a .lvl file in a .txt document?

Use "save as" in the L++ editor.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2009, 09:28:59 AM »
Yeah, both points hamper the usability. The ways to save a level are very unclear about the file extension and file content that you receive. This is a relict from when L++ could only open its own format. At this time, use Save As, yep.

The buttons that don't allow smaller adjustments than 10 are a case of "program wants to be smarter than the user" again, which is bad. :-D Will fix.

And I want to go through the whole topic sometime again. I know of at least one post by Clam Spammer that I didn't answer properly to...

-- Simon

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2009, 10:13:24 AM »
Quote from: Clam Spammer on 2009-11-07 01:34:24
Quote from: minimac
The L++ editor's level measure in pixels is not exact, which calls for problematic wrapping. The slow level size button counts in 10 pixels, not 1 or 2.
I though I mentioned this to Simon already.
Well, I didn't see that, but when you think about it, sometimes it's good for other people to realise just by looking at the problem in the editor.

Quote from: Clam Spammer on 2009-11-07 01:34:24
Quote from: minimac
How can you convert a .lvl file in a .txt document?
Use "save as" in the L++ editor.
I did get the level saved, and I've somehow made a .txt.txt file! See below for the download. It's a 2-player version ofthe level.

Mod Edit: Restored attachments.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:21:26 PM by Prob Lem »
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline weirdybeardy

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2009, 01:10:49 PM »
I still haven't managed to get my copy of L++ to work...  :( I guess while I'm not able to play, I can maintain my delusions of being able to thrash you all!  :P I might try to install it again soon. In the meantime, Lemmings 2 custom level building has got its hooks in me...
My projects:

Lemmings in Weirdyland (NeoLemmix):
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=6135.0

My levels for Lemmings 2 The Tribes can be found here:
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=990.0

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »
Who's hosting the next one, and when?  I'd like to try a multiplayer game sometime, so if anyone can open up tonight, do something such as post here or send a PM.  It's currently 13:11 where I live.
(most people around here use AM/PM, but I prefer 24 hour for some reason, in AM/PM it's 1:11 PM)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2009, 05:36:13 AM »
Sunday night is MY party night. I hope you downloaded the 1/11 edition of L++. I was thinking about playing a game today at around 18:00 UTC. Would you agree? (Apologies to Clam and ISteve, they'll be sleeping at this time but I like early games, rather than later. That way, I can play for longer! :P) I predict that we can get 6 players to tag along here.

Note: Remember to type: flux.camanis.net in the IP server box to get yourself in.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2009, 01:39:35 PM »
18:00 UTC today (Sunday) sounds nice. Will drop by for some games!

I fixed some bugs of the -11-01 version today, and the newest version is -11-08 (L++ download link as usual).

The new version is still compatible with the former version, so people using any will be able to play on the server toether. Mindless does not have to upgrade his server, as no changes have been made to the server application.

Changelist:
- [Space] key doesn't toggle "ready" while typing,
- a new button that always connects to Mindless' server (flux.camanis.net),
- the editor always saves levels as .TXT files.

-- Simon

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2009, 02:11:36 PM »
Good job putting up your 50th post Simon!

Just to let you know I keep typing flux.camanis.net into my address bar. It comes up with this message:

Quote from: flux.camanis.net
GREETINGS PROFESSOR FALKEN.

SHALL WE PLAY A GAME?

08:03:23 up 10 days,  6:23,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

I thought the "connect to" button was there with it. :XD:

And also, I remember the only banned user (so far) from the Lemmings forum ADmiral. He made some decent test levels on the L++ program I've just noticed. Not only his language is quite bad, but his levels are quite good.

I am currently a WWE fan, which is why I put "Hell in a Cell" up. I may put steel cage up as well.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2009, 11:05:05 PM »
Is anyone here available within the next five hours?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2009, 11:35:26 PM »
Sure, I'm up for a game. I'll download the new version now.

(edit: got it.)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2009, 01:22:33 AM »
In the ONML multiplayer level, "I want it all" the lemmings from both trapdoors start going right.  The lemmings on the right should default to heading left, so this needs fixed.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2009, 03:22:25 AM »
I got a bunch of replays from tonight's epic game!  It was really fun!

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2009, 03:41:33 AM »
Yeah, so we ran out of fun 3p maps and started messing around on single-player levels, plus the odd 2p map as well. It's quite tricky when all the teams are going for the same exit :D

Like Dullstar mentioned, the trapdoors send you the wrong way at times, including on the original 2p levels. Which is a tad annoying :(

Other things I noticed while playing today:
  • When you enter the network, the currently selected level should be displayed. Currently, someone has to select a map after a player enters the room before a game can start.
  • The "repeat" maps from Lemmings are missing. Some of the "20 of each" levels might be fun for SP. Also, exploders could switch to knockback mode when you choose one of these levels in MP.
  • Placing blockers close together sometimes makes lemmings pass through all of them. This makes crowd control difficult at times.