Author Topic: Random Review Thread!  (Read 6066 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Random Review Thread!
« on: October 03, 2009, 02:43:07 AM »
This is basically an open floor for reviewing official levels - whether they've been reviewed in other topics or not!

You can review a level, and give as little or as much information as you want!  It doesn't matter what level - if you want to review it, by all means review it!  But if you've already reviewed a certain level, don't redo the review in this topic, unless you are looking at a different platform.  For an example of what you can do, if 30 people all wanted to review Lemmings, Dos, Fun 30, they could review it as long as it is their first time reviewing the level on these forums.  HOWEVER, these should be in each review.

[Game] - [Platform] - [Category/Tribe] - [Level #] - [Level Name]

Good:  [praise level]
Okay:  [While optional, I like to put these in my reviews]
Bad:  [What makes you want to scream!]

Lemmings 2 - Amiga - Classic - 5 - The Magnificent Severn

Good:  Nice design
Okay:  Although the level could be made smaller, to minimize walking, without changing the solution.
Bad:  Big race against the clock.  Shouldn't "Let's see what I can do to shave a few seconds off this" be for challenges?

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Random Review Thread!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 10:26:41 AM »
Actually, I have an idea. Since the reviews are storming the Lemmings Discussion, why don't we put them on a separate board? Do you agree? I'll have to ask Mr. K for that.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:28:24 AM »
Well, I've got one level to review, because I don't think it makes sense to suggest reviewing the Mac version as a whole in the other topic:

Lemmings - Mac - Tricky 21 - Going Their Separate Ways

20 lemmings
Save 100%
10 climbers, 10 floaters, 10 builders

Good: An excellent introduction to multi-tasking (a long time before it's required in any DOS version level!) and just right for its position in terms of difficulty (which DOS Tricky 21 certainly was not).
Bad: If you lose a lemming in the little "boxes" at the bottom, getting it out again can be annoying!

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 12:53:44 PM »
There's another level which I want to point out. It's in SNES and it replaces All the 6's.

SNES - Tricky 21 - Ohayo lemmings san!

Lemmings: 80
60 to save (75%)
Time: 5 minutes
Release rate: 50

Skills: 20 of each

Good: Good use of Japanese symbols. Slightly less generous with a tougher time limit than All the 6's.
Bad: Too easy for it's placement.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 07:19:20 PM »
Genesis-sunsoft 18-SUNSOFT special

RR 40 skills 40|40|40|40|40|40|40|40   320 total

good: the only one for genesis witch is realy fun
okay: genesis controls make hard to play
bad:nothing i think

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 06:03:39 PM »
Here's one from Amiga Lemmings - Clouds of lemmings (With working lemmings, sorry for that :P)

Amiga - Flurry 8 - Clouds of Lemmings

Lemmings: 80
87% to be saved (70)
Time: 6 minutes
Release rate: 40
Skills: 15 of each

Good: Has some pretty good scenery under the exit, classic hero style is the first time you'll come across this pack, but it still won't get your head under the clouds too much.

Bad: Too dark out in the open. Not many pieces were used.

Better than DOS Flurry 8?: Yes, I think so. The difficulty curve takes an immediate bump in DOS with lemmings taking a stupid vacation in Gemland, with that level being harder than all the Flurry levels in the DOS version. The Clouds of lemmings level has a fairly simple solution but has a lot of drops at the bottom, requiring a different strategy compared to the first 7 levels. This level is placed correctly just before Flurry 10 (which has a similar concept but with a few more things that have to be done).

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 08:14:53 AM »
While we're on the subject of Xmas levels that won't be covered in the Xmas review thread...

Xmas 91 - 1 - Merry Christmas Mr Lemming

Lemmings: 50
Save: 25 (50%)
RR: 40

Good: The visual design of this level is, quite simply, stunning. The variety of terrain pieces is excellent, and the decoration doesn't appear overdone, even though there are a large number of decorative objects. I just wish I could zoom out during play to see the whole lot in motion at the same time...

Bad: While it's hard to criticise the long walking time when there's so much eye candy, it could get a bit tedious if you play the level over for whatever reason (like if you're trying to do a no-builders solution for example ;)). Plus all the moving stuff can be distracting.

Xmas 91 - 2 - Christmas Bonus

Lemmings: 50
Save: 25 (50%)
RR: 40

Good: The first level sends you from left to right, this time you get to go the other way. :D Again, stunning and well decorated. This one's a bit more challenging too.

Bad: This essentially comes down to the same thing as the first level - walking, building, bashing and floating (optional).

And apparently this level has some sort of issue with the right edge of the map, because of the very high screen start position.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 05:39:38 PM »
Lemmings covox-fun1-dos-the covox level
lemmings covox-fun1-the covox level[b\]

good: nice creativity
O.k.: its fun but to easy
bad:nothing

Oh no more lemmings-hovoc17-dos-where lemmings dare
oh no more lemmings-hovoc17-where lemmings dare[b\]