Author Topic: Christmas Lemmings Level reviews  (Read 52156 times)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
Re: Christmas Lemmings Level reviews
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2011, 12:01:08 AM »
Frost 6 - Land of the Bizarre

Lemmings: 70
Goal: 69 (98%)
Rate: 1
Time: 6
Skills: 1/2/1/1/4/0/0/0

Good: Neat level where you have to work out how to overcome the obstacles without digging skills. Also good for its position, not too difficult for an early level, but at first glance it can seem more difficult than it is.
Bad: It's not bizarre, it's rather boring-looking really. I don't like the levels that consist of just these jaggedy platforms.

It seems to be impossible to save 100%, which could be cast in a good or bad light... bad because it might be infuriating to try, good because it breaks the mould. Or something.

And so much better than Flurry 6, which is rather boring (and on DOS you can bash through the steel :-\)

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2011, 01:00:31 AM »
My apologies for meta-reviewing again, but Frost 6 is bizarre: the solution is totally unexpected because you use builders to turn around everyone.  I just felt I had to say that.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2011, 01:19:03 AM »
Fair enough. It's unusual, sure, but I wouldn't quite call it bizarre personally. For a level titling itself "bizarre" I'd also expect something more interesting visually, too.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2011, 06:28:18 AM »
Frost 7 - Happy New Year!

Lemmings: 50
Save: 25 (50%)
Time: 6 minutes
Release rate: 1
Skills: 2 bombers, 2 blockers, 10 builders, 5 bashers, 5 miners

Good: Fun design, very thematic. The start has you scrambling, especially if you want to save 100%, which is tricky but still very much achievable.
Bad: The snowman puppets are quite distracting. Some parts appear to have been thrown together haphazardly using many copies of the same terrain piece.
Better than Flurry 7? Yes. This level is a solid build-and-dig puzzle, whereas Flurry 7 is a mindless basher-fest.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2011, 06:58:59 AM »
Don't forget the comparisons! In this case I will compare this level to Flurry 3 to see which is the better "Easy 3".
Oops, I completely forgot you posted that over two years ago :o. This is what we get for taking so long to review the levels :P. I've edited the comparison into my earlier review.
Well, I can't blame you for that really, since that was a while ago. I thank you (and finlay too) for adding comparisons to your previous posts.

Frost 8 - Division Bell

Lemmings: 80
Save: 75 (93%)
Time: 1 minute
Release rate: 60
Skills: 10 of each skill

Good: An even simpler two-sided level, with has a choice of exits, but this time it has both of them working. Has a good, relevant title, showing that the lemmings will divide. A long but quick level that only needs a minute, and it makes you wonder which exit can and cannot be entered by all lemmings.
Bad: The terrain pieces at the bottom look messy. Makes people reluctant watching the lemmings going to the exit on this level. Needs only 1 skill.
Better than DOS Flurry 8? Yes. Although both levels have relevant titles, the Division Bell isn't so tricky whereas the Vacation in Gemland is a horrendously difficult level and seems to be the most common stump point for newcomers.
Better than Amiga version of Flurry 8? This is a tough one, as both of them are fairly good/OK. I'm going to say no though. Clouds of lemmings keeps you busy with builders and needs you to trap the other lemmings whereas the Division Bell only needs 1 skill and involves a lot of walking.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2011, 09:42:19 PM »
Frost 9 - Quest for Kieran

Lemmings: 40
Save: 40 (100%)
Time: 4 minutes
Release rate: 50
Skills: 2 bombers, 2 blockers, 10 builders, 5 bashers, 5 miners

Good: A nice, simple level that's challenging but not too much, and with a small variety of solutions.  You could solve it in your sleep, which was probably intended.  It was designed to be part of a get-well card to a (young at the time) Mr. Kieran Miller, and even before meeting him, you can tell it must have done its job.  It's a pleasant level with, if you ask me, lots of symbolism if you know what to look for.
Bad: Um, well, I guess it's over a little too quickly.  For a level called some kind of "quest", you'd think it would be bigger and more adventurous.
Better than Flurry 9? Now that's not a very fair question, is it.  It's shorter and sweeter, but A Block from Home had a tad more adventure and variety to it (snowballs, steel, etc.), I think, not to mention some flexibility with its save requirement - thus being gentler to newbies.  Can I get back to you on that?  (Sorry.)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2011, 01:22:55 AM »
Is that a work-in-progress? You seem to have changed the picture but nothing else of Clam's post...

edit: yay, 300 posts! I'm not going to do the next one just now.... leave it overnight perhaps.

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2011, 02:29:40 AM »
Is that a work-in-progress? You seem to have changed the picture but nothing else of Clam's post...
In fact it was.  I got firewalled from my work twice, otherwise I would have completed it.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2011, 06:13:50 AM »
Better than Flurry 9? Now that's not a very fair question, is it.  It's shorter and sweeter, but A Block from Home had a tad more adventure and variety to it (snowballs, steel, etc.), I think, not to mention some flexibility with its save requirement - thus being gentler to newbies.  Can I get back to you on that?  (Sorry.)
OK. If I reviewed that level I would have gone for Flurry 9, partially because the title is more relevant and that it has more decoration.

Frost 10 - Four Play

Lemmings: 4
Save: 4 (100%)
Time: 2 minutes
Release rate: 4
Skills: 2 builders, 1 basher, 3 miners, 3 diggers, 4 of everything else.

Good: An interesting little puzzle with one important objective. Lemmings appearing in several places make it more interesting. The title is relevant.
Bad: Maybe the timer's a little strict, and because of that, the last part might involve some luck.
Better than Flurry 10? Yes! This level is much more thought provoking than the dull, dark looking Flurry 10. Well done to the person who made this level. :thumbsup:
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2011, 07:59:02 PM »
Frost 11 - Maybe not such a doddle

Save: 80 (100%)
Time: 7 minutes
Release rate: 40
Skills: 5 of each

Good: 100% requirement prevents the easy block-and-bomb method of crowd control. No chance of time-limit rage.
Bad: Doesn't add much compared to the level it's based on (I mean, who didn't save 100% on Tricky 1 already?) It even adds more boring walking time compared to that level.
Better than Flurry 11? Yikes, we're comparing two of the more redundant levels in all of Holiday Lemmings here :-\. I'm gonna say yes, the 100% requirement just barely clinches it in terms of difficulty.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2011, 10:21:49 PM »
Frost 12 - It's Boxing Day!

Save: 78 (97%)
Time: 4 minutes
Release rate: 20
Skills: 3 builders, 2 bashers, 1 digger

Good: Has a simple solution, and yet it is a very interesting level to play as the intended solution will play tricks on the unwary. Title is relevant as the lemmings are inside a box.
Bad: Apparantly some steel areas are missing from the top. Timing the first basher right can be quite tricky.
Better than Flurry 12? Yes. Although both levels involve simple actions, the Boxing Day level nails it. It's interesting that a level with few skills can prove to be a challenging puzzle, and this is one of them. Also, there's no need to take some quick skill changes if you want 100%, unlike Presents of Mind.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2011, 02:32:21 AM »
Damn, I wanted to get that level so that I could rail about how much I hate it. It's a stupid level. :(

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2011, 02:58:19 AM »
Well, I won't stop you. ;)  Why don't you review the next level and just off-topically tag on your rant of the previous level at the end?  I think it's okay to do this once in a while.

(I'm personally neutral on that level, but just really curious that someone feels so strongly about that level......)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2011, 06:09:26 AM »
I'm a bit surprised about my straight yes for this level as well. Comparing Flurry 12 with Frost 12 I thought was going to be the closest decision I've ever made until I played Frost 12.

If there is any more negative stuff about this level please mention it, as I can add to it.

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2011, 06:14:36 AM »
the intended solution will play tricks on the unwary.
This is a mild formulation of "the level unfairly conceals vital information, thus it's poorly designed". ;)

Consider this part of the level. The left image is the appearance of the wall inside the game. The right image shows the actual steel areas in blue; for instructional purposes, I've exaggerated them towards the right.

There are three places that look bashable (numbered). Only one of them will work. There is just a single black pixel in the steel wall (red arrow) that could be taken as a hint.

The designers put green steel blocks behind the two unbashable places, but they aren't visible. I don't know whether their design rule was "put steel areas where a block is, even if it's covered with regular terrain" or "put steel areas where steel blocks are visible" -- but I don't think they were even consistent throughout the games.

-- Simon