Author Topic: Christmas Lemmings Level reviews  (Read 51733 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Christmas Lemmings Level reviews
« on: October 01, 2009, 02:33:35 PM »
Christmas comes early! :D And what we will eventually have as a gift is a bunch of reviews by our users.

Yes, this is the place to go for reviewing Holiday lemmings levels from the 1994 and the 1993 version. I will start with Flurry, then Blitz. After that, we will get through Frost and Hail. On those levels we will have to do a comparison to see which level is better. Follow this link below to see where the images come from.

http://www.lemmingsforums.com/resources/holiday/
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Christmas Lemmings Level reviews
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 05:44:31 PM »
OK. Let's start.

Flurry 1 - Climbing to the Top!

Lemmings: 10
100% to be saved
Time: 6 minutes
Release rate: 50

Skills: 20 of each

Good: Good short starter level for the game. Uses only one type of skill to complete.
Bad: With all types of skills available for a first level, it can be confusing for new players.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 08:38:53 PM »
Flurry 2 - Floating Lemming Flurry

Lemmings: 20
Save: 15 (75%)
Time: 8 minutes
Release rate: 25
Skills: 25 of each

Good: Another quick and easy level to ease players into the level set. The "25" theme is nice, especially considering how Christmas is on the 25th day of the month.

Bad: Why aren't there 25 lemmings as well? Not only does this break with the theme, but it leaves unusable skills as well. The overall design is a bit bland too.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 08:53:57 PM »
My goodness, I thought everyone forgot about this review thread but hey, I kept my temper and now this thread is back on top!

Flurry 3 - Holiday Mining

Lemmings: 80
Save: 50 (62%)
Time: 7 minutes
Release rate: 40
Skills: 30 of each

Good: You can lose 30 bombers and still win the level :P A nice bright colourful level with Xmas lights at the ceiling...

Bad: ...but there is too much on the outside of the level, not really as much of a challenge compared to the last one (or two).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:05:48 PM »
Flurry 4 - Lemming Tracks in the Snow!

Lemmings: 50
Save: 45 (90%)
Time: 6 minutes
Release rate: 25

Good: I dunno, cute level name maybe?  And level area is more filled out than the previous level.

Bad: Level layout and solution is way too similar to the previous level.  Mixing the use of non-snow terrain with snow terrain looks unnatural.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 09:19:18 PM »
I dunno, cute level name maybe?

Cute? ??? It's quite a big level so...

Flurry 5 - Christmas South of the equator

Lemmings: 75
Save: 25 (33%)
Time: 5 minutes

Good: Lots of solutions, smart scenery matches the title showing a hot christmas and no snow. At least it doesn't work with two bashers anymore. Steps up the plate with floaters not enough for the requirement.

Bad: Still isn't much into this level, too many lemmings in all honesty.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 10:01:30 AM »
My goodness, I thought everyone forgot about this review thread but hey, I kept my temper and now this thread is back on top!

You've learned a valuable lesson.  :)

Flurry 6 - Lemming Snowfall

Save: 40 (50%)
Time: 9 minutes
Release rate: 20
Skills: 10 of each

Good: Tough looking obstacle and not many skills (compared to earlier levels at least) to get past it. Good use of the lights as decoration - unlike level 3 where they extend across the whole map.

Bad: A bit too much plain walking for my liking. And, of course, there's the matter of the missing steel objects...

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 05:51:47 PM »
Release rate: 2

It's not 2, it's 20 (even though the RR doesn't make a difference to the solution).

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 09:39:40 PM »
Argh, I know I typed 20...

I blame the shoddy keyboard - I'm typing this from my other computer (that doesn't have Lemmings on it). This might yet be a permanent move, since this computer is much faster. I just noticed I made a daft typo in another thread yesterday too.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 10:03:12 PM »
Argh, I know I typed 20...

I blame the shoddy keyboard - I'm typing this from my other computer (that doesn't have Lemmings on it). This might yet be a permanent move, since this computer is much faster. I just noticed I made a daft typo in another thread yesterday too.
Apologies for being too literal. :-[

My laptop has the "H" key mucking around... and the enter key doesn't work either. At the very least I'm pleased using my proper computer. OK, let's review another level.

Flurry 7 - Lemming Snowjourn

50% to be saved (25)
Time: 5 minutes

Good: Good for climbing.
Bad: This tedious level is a joke. Derivative to levels 3 and 4, and they try to make it harder without a real challenge, no objects other than start and finish. Too dark out in the open (That gets me scared all the time).

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 10:16:52 PM »
What brand is your keyboard, Clam?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 11:34:10 PM »
It would appear to be a Genius. Although I think the real problem is that I've been using it for ages (before I got back into Lemmings) and I played some RTS games... and those tend to be quite rough on the keyboard.

But before this gets dragged too far off topic...

Flurry 8 - Vacation in Gemland

Save: 50 (100%)
Time: 3 minutes
Release rate: 1
Skills: 1 climber, 8 builders, 3 bashers, 2 diggers

Good: Some variety of methods available for clearing the obstacles. A refreshing break from the repetitive Christmas graphics.

Bad: Wrecks the difficulty curve worse than just about any other Lemmings level. Plus you have to use a hero lemming to complete the level - which leaves the other 49 in a tight space, from which you have to click one that's facing the right way. And if you don't know the trick, that's not fun.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 08:54:41 PM »
Flurry 9 - A block from home

Save: 75 (93%)
Time: 4 minutes
Release rate: 20
Skills: 10 of each

Good: A couple of ways to get round this one. A quite bright looking level as well. Works ideally for challenges.

Bad: All the snowballs piled together doesn't make it look great. Maybe too short for a holiday lemmings level.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 08:01:06 AM »
Hey, I have some free time to do this now. So... *bump*

Flurry 10 - 32 Lemmings Below Zero

Lemmings: 32
Save: 25 (78%)
Time: 7 minutes
Release rate: 32
Skills: 32 of each

Good: Nice theme based around the title. Wide variety of solutions, helped by the fact there's enough climbers for every lemming.

Bad: It's... so... looooong..... You know there's a problem with length when it takes more than one Shift+F for the lemmings to walk to the exit.

(Shift+F = one-minute frameskip in Lemmix)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 04:00:42 PM »
Although I agree with the bad point, you seem to like Flurry 10 more than I do. ??? I tagged that previous level under my "Bottom 5" list.

Flurry 11 - At home in a cave

Save: 78 (97%)
Time: 4 minutes
Release rate: 10
Skills: 10 climbers, 10 floaters, 10 bombers, 10 builders, 5 bashers, 5 miners, 5 diggers.

Good: Timer is a little strict to the unwary. Good variety of skills.
Bad: More like a harder version of the 2nd level without much difference. The cave is too long and poorly designed. Not very much is included in this level.