Author Topic: Christmas Lemmings Level reviews  (Read 52132 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Christmas Lemmings Level reviews
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2011, 12:55:11 AM »
Yeah, the whole second half of that rating are Star Trek movie titles.  There's probably some history around it (wonder if Google will yield anything?) like maybe one of the level designers just saw one of the movies, and decided throwing them into the titles would be a quick way to wrap up titling that rating with least effort, or something. :P :-\

Not sure how well these allusions translate globally though, they're relatively well known in the US (though probably not every single movie unless you're a fan of the series) but perhaps not in other locales.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2011, 01:48:03 AM »
The games were developed here in the UK (and it's shocking how recently I discovered that it was in this very city that DMA was based (and still is under the name of Rockstar)... :-[ ). It's a fairly safe bet to say that they're known about here. But yeah, you'd only be able to actually name more than one or two (I can name "wrath of khan" and "generations" and that's it) of the films if you're actually a fan of the series. Same sort of deal. Perhaps DMA was just full of trekkies.

I used to watch Next Generation or Voyager because they were on after school at various points in my childhood. I wouldn't have called myself a fan, though; it was just something vaguely enjoyable that you could veg out in front of.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2011, 07:51:58 AM »
As Clam Spammer says, I presume this thread has an implied "48 hour" rule, or similar. I really was going to do the one after this, but I just can't seem to wait long enough for the interesting comparison part...

Blitz 10 - The Wrath Of Lem

Lemmings: 80
Save: 80 (100%)
Time: 4 minutes
Release rate: 20
Skills: 2 Blockers, 5 Builders, 3 Bashers, 1 Miner, 2 Diggers

Good: An 100%er, nice looking symmetrical level. Ceiling is decorated well. Forces you to use something other than a blocker to get the requirement. Time is just right.
Bad: Nothing too serious, but maybe there isn't enough to this two-entrance level, and because of this, the timer is still quite high. Maybe it would be more challenging with a higher release rate. It is in the Blitz category after all.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2011, 03:53:56 AM »
I really was going to do the one after this, but I just can't seem to wait long enough for the interesting comparison part...
Tha's okay, just wait another day or so ;) (or comment on the review if someone else does it).

I'm curious as to why you still point to the time limit as a deficiency in the level, after the recent discussion about time limits. I do agree that it's quite a weak level that late in the game, but there are far better ways to up the difficulty - like the release rate, as you mentioned.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2011, 07:39:42 AM »
I really was going to do the one after this, but I just can't seem to wait long enough for the interesting comparison part...
Tha's okay, just wait another day or so ;) (or comment on the review if someone else does it).
OK then, I'll take your words for it.

Blitz 11 - The Search For Lem

Time: 6 minutes
Release rate: 5
Skills: 0 Floaters, 8 Builders, 1 of everything else

Good: A nice looking level, and gives players an innovative and clever new way of reaching the exit (Which involves good timing). Good idea placing the steel block in the snowdrift as that is one possible way to trap other lemmings rather than using builders. If it wasn't there, a casual player would certainly find this level impossible. Decorations are well placed.
Bad: Only that bombers are no use in a 100% level. Other than that, it is probably one of the Best Blitz levels ever. :thumbsup:
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2011, 08:24:58 AM »
^ This was the only level in Holiday Lemmings that gave me any grief. I didn't know the bridge-stretching technique at the time (IIRC this was many years ago), so I just thought it was outright impossible. It is interesting though that the developers seem to have discovered some new tricks in the game mechanics while making the Holiday levels (using the nuke in 'Surprise Package?' is another example).

---

Blitz 12 - The Voyage Home...

Save: 70 (87%)
Time: 7 minutes
Release rate: 15
Skills: 2 bombers, 1 digger

Good: The normal solution is quick to execute, in terms of assigning the skills at least... You can save a bomber (and thus get a higher %) if you're observant.

Bad: One word: walking. :sick: :sick: :sick:

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2011, 01:32:55 PM »
Blitz 13 - The Final Frontier

Lemmings: 70
Save: 65 (92%)
Time: 7 minutes
Release rate: 40
Skills: 2 blockers, 9 builders, 2 diggers, 1 everything else

Good: Makes the puzzle more interesting with a big obstacle to toughen the challenge. In particular, the third cloud at the top. Luckily the exit is placed quite close to the entrance but not too close.
Bad: Trapping the lemmings is too easy at this point of the game. Once you figured out the obstacle, it has just the boring part of using the final few builders.

These are only minor issues though, because this is another solid Blitz level.

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2011, 04:43:16 PM »
Blitz 14 - The Undiscovered Country

Time: 9 minutes
Release rate: 10
Skills: 10 each bashers, miners and diggers.

Good: Hidden exit levels are always a welcome twist of a challenge.  I also like the toppled snowman on the left, and the visual explanation of the Enterprise on the right.
Bad: Hidden exit levels are only fun the first time, as the exit is never randomized, nor can be.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2011, 06:16:35 PM »
Good: Hidden exit levels are always a welcome twist of a challenge.  I also like the toppled snowman on the left, and the visual explanation of the Enterprise on the right.
Ah. So that's a starship on the right huh? That's a very interesting find, and that makes the title of that level even more relevant. 8)

Blitz 15 - The Needs of the Many...

Lemmings: 15
Save: 8 (53%)
Time: 8 minutes
Release rate: 50
Skills: 11 climbers, 11 floaters, 5 bombers, 2 builders, 1 basher

Good: A nice looking puzzle with an interesting new technique of building from a potential bomber's crater. Nice to use the old climbers and floaters again. :P Building has to be precise as well.
Bad: Maybe the fact that you can't save most of the lemmings will disappoint some players. (You'll have to lose at least 5, according to this.) Other than that, this is well designed, and a big favourite in Holiday Lemmings 1993.

Just realised, this is my 999th post. :o No wonder I'm getting active again in the forums.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2011, 06:18:03 AM »
I think I can see why this thread has fallen down the page... when you have levels like this one:

Blitz 6 - A Single Lemming...

I knew that was a bad level but in my opinion I think review threads might fall off the page because the next level may be a "remarkably ordinary" level. In other words there is so little mention about the level that it can be hard to come up with a good and bad point for that type of level. That may be what might detract reviewers from reviewing levels. I might be wrong, as there can be several good and bad points and still be an averagely popular level. At the moment the next level to review is what I call a remarkably ordinary level so I'll try my best to come up with both points of view here.

Blitz 16 - The Next Lemeration

Lemmings: 50
Save: 48 (96%)
Time: 5 minutes
Release rate: 30
Skills: 5 bombers, 1 blocker, 1 builder, 1 basher, 1 miner

Good: Concludes the puzzle set with some bomber timing, which puts the level in the right difficulty place because of such strict timing. Requires a fair bit of thought as you can't really trap the lemmings effectively with such limited skills. I like the idea of blowing up a present to find what's inside. The title is another good use of a pun.
Bad: Concludes the puzzle set with some bomber timing, which can be tedious and can take several tries to get the bombers in the right place. Not too hard what can be read on the right, although it can be improved. (e.g. the intended "a" in the "Happy" may look like "Δ" to some people)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2011, 07:19:47 AM »
Save: 47 (94%)
I'm pretty sure this is 96% (48/50). Curiously, The Lemmings Encyclopedia says 96% for the '93 version and 94% for the '94 version. I don't know whether this might be the case on the Amiga version (IIRC TLE is based on this), but I just checked the DOS version and it's 96% there.

I can see what you mean about 'ordinary' levels. It's worth keeping in mind though that there are other aspects to a level besides gameplay, eg. visual design, title. Most levels have some merit to them, they probably wouldn't make it into the game if they didn't have a good idea behind them.

---

On to 1994!

Frost 1 - Chains of Command

Save: 50 (100%)
Time: 6 minutes
Release rate: 25
Skills: 6 of each

Good: Fun visual design, neat title, simple level to start the game with.
Bad: Fairly repetitive, and quite long. Maybe too easy with the number of bashers given - a different skillset might make things interesting.
Better than Flurry 1? No. Flurry 1 is quick, which is good for a warm-up level, and it's also a better level for playing around and trying different things.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2011, 01:46:51 PM »
Frost 2 - Ski Jump!

Goal: 49 (98%)
Time: 3
Rate: 60
Skills: 2/50/2/2/2/2/2/2

Good: A few different ways to solve it, and not very difficult.
Bad: The 50 floaters perhaps make it a bit too easy and a bit too tedious.

Better than Flurry 2? Yeah; Flurry 2 is even more unmemorable. Both have an obvious floater theme, but this level contains the right number of floaters for the number of lemmings and with less of all the other skills, it's marginally harder to get alternative solutions. Not by much, though, and the terrain in this level is more conducive to finding alternatives.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2011, 06:26:59 PM »
Save: 47 (94%)
I'm pretty sure this is 96% (48/50). Curiously, The Lemmings Encyclopedia says 96% for the '93 version and 94% for the '94 version. I don't know whether this might be the case on the Amiga version (IIRC TLE is based on this), but I just checked the DOS version and it's 96% there.

Hmm... It is 96% on both versions on the DOS, so that must mean that the 94% is only on the Amiga version of Holiday Lemmings '94. How interesting. 8)

Don't forget the comparisons! In this case I will compare this level to Flurry 3 to see which is the better "Easy 3".

Frost 3 - Cindyland

Save: 75 (93%)
Release rate: 50
Skills: 7 of each

Good: Has a choice of exits which could've made the level more interesting if it wasn't for the bad points.
Bad: The exit on the left is buried, and this adds to the unnecessary confusion that this level causes.
Better than Flurry 3?: I'm going to have to say no. I'm not sure if that exit on the left was intended to be buried or not, but Cindyland can be an unnecessary stump point for newcomers because of the different type of skills that you have to use as well (Not to mention the steel on the right which some players may not get used to). In Flurry 3 you would only need 1 skill to solve it and in my opinion that level is in the right position for '93.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2011, 10:22:36 PM »
Hmm... It is 96% on both versions on the DOS, so that must mean that the 94% is only on the Amiga version of Holiday Lemmings '94. How interesting. 8)
I think the more likely explanation is that TLE has the wrong number for the '94 version. I don't have the Amiga version to check though.

Don't forget the comparisons! In this case I will compare this level to Flurry 3 to see which is the better "Easy 3".
Oops, I completely forgot you posted that over two years ago :o. This is what we get for taking so long to review the levels :P. I've edited the comparison into my earlier review.

---

Frost 4 - Separate Ways

Save: 49 (98%)
Release rate: 40
Skills: 1 bomber, 1 builder, 1 basher, 1 miner

Good: Simple two-sided level, about the right difficulty for its position. Surprisingly many ways to complete it, since you can bypass the central obstacle.
Bad: Possibly doesn't need so many lemmings, as most will do nothing but walk to the exits. Could use a little more visually (though the icy ceiling is a nice touch), and the floating platforms look odd.
Better than Flurry 4? Yes. Flurry 4 is pretty much a dud level that copies the one before it, so it's not much of a contest. It does have better visuals though.

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2011, 11:43:52 PM »
Frost 5 - Lemming Reunification

Lemmings: 70
Save: 70 (100%)
Release rate: 75
Skills: 10 of everything

Good: Two-hatch levels are always more interesting; plus, the level mostly has a nice symmetry.
Bad: Is that "tail" supposed to be part of a Japanese creature or something?  Not that I'm complaining about art, but the rigid 100% save requirement makes bashing the icicles tricky.
Better than Flurry 5? Probably not.  I mean, c'mon, CSotE was the only snow-less Holiday level ever.  And a lot more fluid with the low save requirement to balance out the lack of (mostly literal) guardrails.