Author Topic: Fewest different skills levels can be beaten with  (Read 60435 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Fewest different skills levels can be beaten with
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2011, 02:07:33 AM »
Hey, thanks for bumping this, I pretty much forgot about it. Sadly this isn't the best time, since cc and geoo are on holiday :-\. We should pick this up and finish it off when they get back. I might have a look at these in the meantime though :)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2011, 08:42:19 AM »
Oh! I didn't notice that both of them are on holiday. What a shame but at least I worked on plenty of levels. :)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2011, 07:53:57 AM »
All right, a couple of additions for now:

Wild 1: builders + miners, (100%)
Wild 2: builders + miners (100%); bombers + builders

Replays attached.

edit: oh right, glitches. The replay for Wild 1 includes a miner crossing a 1-pixel gap; this can be avoided by assigning the first builder 1 frame later (which closes the 'gap'). Wild 2 involves mining into steel.

Unfortunately, I haven't saved any replays, because I forgot which button I should press. :P

It's 'u'. Hardly intuitive, I can't blame you for forgetting that :P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2011, 05:43:59 AM »
The Wicked results are

2: Builders, Bashers, Miners & Diggers (100%)
3: Builders and Diggers (100%)
4: Builders and Bombers
5: Builders, Bashers and diggers
8: Builders, Bombers and Climbers
9: Builders and Blockers. Builders and Floaters
I started looking at some of the Wickeds (2-9), and we can add the following (nothing replay worthy):

2: climbers, builders, miners & diggers (100%)
4: builders+bashers

Wicked 7 of course is bombers+blockers.

And finally, Wicked 9 can be taken out of this thread completely, as it can be solved using only builders.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2011, 06:50:24 AM »
Here's (attached) Wild 4 with builders and bashers, 100% as required.

Wicked 6 with builders+bashers and builders+miners are both fairly simple; just build, break the bridge, complete the path, and rebuild the bridge. (Again, 100% as required by the level)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2011, 10:40:19 PM »
Improved Wild 11 to 3 skills, with five different combinations:
  • floaters+bombers+builders
  • floaters+builders+bashers (100%)
  • bombers+builders+bashers
  • bombers+builders+miners
  • builders+bashers+miners (100%)

Replays attached. All involve some amount of steel glitching to get the required %.

edit: The rest of Wild (or not, see below):
  • Improved Wild 12 to 2 types, builders+bashers.
  • Found an alternate 3-type solution for Wild 15: bashers+builders+diggers (using steel glitches).

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2011, 08:33:32 AM »
All right, I don't usually triple-post, but this one deserves its own post because it's that good. Even if you don't normally look at the challenge replays (and judging by the download counts, most of you don't :(), this one is definitely worth seeing.

Wild 17, builders + bashers (100% as required).

This only barely works, in so many ways - skill count, splat height, compression ability - that I'm amazed it's possible at all. But, it is! :D

edit: Removed replay, scroll down a few posts to find the new one.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2011, 10:39:46 AM »
Wow! 8) :thumbsup:

It isn't always easy to tell which replays are must-sees.  In some cases I also don't feel right looking at replays w/o having even examine the level myself first.  One of these days I should do a forum search for all Clam replays to make sure I have them all downloaded. ;)

-------------

On a more boring note, recent events inspired me to take a look at Tricky 7 again, and I finally find a way to block off the right end using just 5 instead of 6 builders.  This finally allows a climber+builder direct-drop solution.  Sadly builders-only still appears out of reach even with the 1 extra builder that results.  I've attached 2 failed approaches for reference, neither of which seems to be tweakable for success so far.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2011, 02:35:23 PM »
Tricky 25 (Cascade) is another level loooooooooooong overdue for a review for this challenge thread.  In addition to the floater+builder+basher noted in the OP, the following are also possible:

a) floater+builder+miner
b) bomber+builder+basher
c) bomber+builder+miner
d) builder+basher+digger (100%)
e) builder+miner+digger (100%)

Replays attached for C and E (obviously the miner can be swapped for the basher in every case here).  Credit for D/E goes to ClamSpammer since I based the method heavily on his no-floater solution somewhere on one of the challenge threads.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2011, 05:20:29 AM »
There seem to be a lot of solutions still to be found for levels that are already "done"; for example, I can add the following:

Crazy 13: climber+miner+digger (pretty much the standard solution, unfortunately not 100% since the climber mines through the floor). Also, improved the currently listed combination (builder+miner+digger) to 100%, replay attached.

Crazy 15: climbers+builders (direct drop glitch), builders+diggers improved to 100% with glitch (replay attached - glitchless falls short of 100%, so "glitch for 100%").

edit: Crazy 18 with 3 types:
  • builder+basher+miner improved to 100% (also good for min skills/max % - it's 6 skills, same as for the regular least-skills challenge)
  • bomber+builder+basher
  • bomber+builder+miner
  • blocker+builder+basher
  • blocker+builder+miner

Replays are attached. Most rely on one crucial observation that (as far as I can tell) hasn't been picked up on before:
Quote from: spoiler
The vacuum trap can be disabled with a single brick.

edit2: Crazy 19 with 3 types:
  • builder+basher+digger improved to 100%
  • bomber+builder+basher
  • bomber+builder+digger
  • blocker+builder+basher

Again, replays attached.

edit3: Crazy 20 can be done with bombers+builders. Nothing replay-worthy here, just a whole lot of bomber timing.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2011, 02:00:21 AM »
Turns out my Wild 17 solution was a bit overcomplicated. You don't need to use the "fill the floor" releaserate method at all - the crowd is compressed enough without it. Here's a much nicer replay. It's still a must-see! ;)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2011, 03:44:19 AM »
I just had a go at the first few levels of Wicked:

2: 4 types
  • Climbers + builders + miners + diggers (100%)
  • Builders + bashers + miners + diggers (100%)
3: 2 types -- Builders + diggers (100%, steel glitch)

4: 2 types
  • Builders + bombers
  • Builders + bashers
5: 3 types -- Builders + bashers + diggers (100%)

7: 2 types -- Blockers + bombers (obviously)

8: 3 types -- Climbers + bombers + builders

10: 4 types
  • Floaters + Blockers + Builders + Diggers
  • Floaters + Bombers + Blockers + Builders
  • Bombers + Blockers + Builders + Diggers

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2011, 09:05:35 AM »
As I went about looking back at old levels, here's another level with updates: Tricky 30, climbers+miners 100% (100% not noted before) and builders+miners 100%.  Neither are replay-worthy so I just attached zipped screenshots.

Then I jump ahead to confirm floater+builders for Wicked 15, again not much of a surprise, zipped screenshot included.

One other level I actually worked on for a bit is Tricky 10, but alas, I was quickly reminded of the stupid ABBA entrance ordering in original lemmings, which put some annoying constraints on the spacing of lemmings coming out.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2011, 01:24:48 PM »
Is this topic even still being updated?

Anyway, I know that Taxing 18 can be done with builders, bashers and floaters for 100%. If you haven't already got that, anyway.

Offline AK_WDB

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2011, 03:47:59 PM »
Anyway, I know that Taxing 18 can be done with builders, bashers and floaters for 100%. If you haven't already got that, anyway.
Does this involve using a glitch?  I don't see any way it can be done otherwise.