Author Topic: Oh No! More Lemmings - Level Reviews  (Read 51623 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Oh No! More Lemmings - Level Reviews
« on: September 05, 2009, 05:08:49 PM »
There were complaints about doing ONML level reviews in our normal topic, so do them here.

We have already finished Tame 1 and 2 (Down and out Lemmings, Rent-a-Lemming)

I'm also adding a useful rule from the Custom Level Review Game:  if no one reviews for 48 hours (2 days), then you can review again even if you are the one who did the last review.

Who wants to do level three?

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Oh No! More Lemmings - Level Reviews
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 09:43:05 PM »
Dullstar, can you please copy your Tame 1 review into your post? Then I can put mine here and we'll have all the ONML reviews in one place.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 09:54:32 PM »
I'll copy both...

Let me post a link to this topic into the other thread, and I'll do it.

Tame 1 Review by Dullstar

Let's get started.  We'll just use the shots from Clam Spammer's Tame challenges for now...

DOS - Tame 1 - Down and out Lemmings

Lemmings:  50
To save:  25 (50%)
Release Rate:  1
Time:  4 minutes

Good:  A variety of ways that it can be solved exist.  There are your simple methods, and there are your complicated ones, like Clam Spammer's challenge.
Okay:  The release rate is VERY low.  Play area looks fine . . .
Bad:  . . . but other than that, needs more decorative terrain.

Tame 2 review by Clam Spammer

Tame 2 - Rent-a-Lemming

(insert Tame stats here)

Good: Nice clean design that takes up the whole screen and not much more.

Bad: Too much empty space above the trapdoor. Needs more green stuff (crystals, grass) for decoration. And if you look closely you'll see some gaps in the terrain.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 07:02:17 AM »
Dullstar, can you please copy your Tame 1 review into your post? Then I can put mine here and we'll have all the ONML reviews in one place.

I would cut rather than copy, but I will agree, and if you put those pictures up I might do level 3. Good point, Clam Spammer :)

This is the Tame 1 image
Code: [Select]

And this is the Tame 2 image
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 10:15:56 PM »
I fixed the images!  By the way, your Tame 1 code makes a really small images, so you have to remove "&small" from the code.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 08:11:55 AM »
Once again, I'm going to question the logic of reviewing all the Tame levels, since apparently no one wants to review them. I really would like to get on to some real levels soon.

@Dullstar: Can you remove the non-review comments from the above reviews? They really make no sense out of context.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 12:04:48 PM »
I'd been deliberately avoiding doing Level 3 since I wanted to do Level 4....

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 05:02:38 PM »
Fine, I'll do it.

DOS - Tame 3 - Undercover Lemming

Lemmings:  50
To Save:  25 (50%)
[etc, tame stats]

Good:  Level looks nice.  Like all tame levels, can be good for challenges.
Bad:  Nothing.  I'd say too easy, but then again, it's only the third level.  And it's at least a little harder than Original Lemmings Fun 3 (Tailor Made for Blockers).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 07:33:28 PM »
Tame 4 - Downwardly Mobile Lemmings

[EDIT: thanks for providing the link]

Save 50% of 50, 20 of all skills

Good: Having to avoid a splat fall makes this a step up in difficulty from its predecessors. Good use of the "bubble" graphics to make an attractive-looking level. Nice title. And I can't help liking this level because it's the first to use the best music in the game.
Bad: Limited left-right extent, could have done more with decorative terrain.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 07:39:34 PM »
Here you are, Proxima
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 09:10:15 AM »
At risk of repeating myself...

@Dullstar: Can you remove the non-review comments from the above reviews? They really make no sense out of context.

Tame 5 - Snuggle up to a Lemming

Good: Nice decorative terrain. The steel makes you take an alternative route rather than just bashing, but...

Bad: Steel? In a Tame level? That's... that's just not right.  :-\  And besides that, it looks bad.
The decorative terrain, while good, unbalances the map by extending it in one direction only. Someone else said (and I agree) the exit should be at the far left.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 12:41:02 PM »
Really? There's enough "nothing but a long walk" sections in the Tame levels as it is; you want to add to them? Also, I like the use of steel to enable the player to know what it does before encountering it on the Crazy levels :P

Tame 6 - Intsy-Wintsy...Lemming?

(usual Tame stats)

Good: Nice use of the emerald graphics to create an interesting effect below the exit.
Bad: Everything else. This is one Tame level that does nothing new and could have been skipped without losing anything.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 10:34:12 PM »
At risk of repeating myself...

Oops.  :-[  I missed some.  Okay, now did I get rid of them all? If not, just let me know.  ;)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 10:42:13 PM »
Yeah, that looks better now. Thanks :)

Really? There's enough "nothing but a long walk" sections in the Tame levels as it is; you want to add to them? Also, I like the use of steel to enable the player to know what it does before encountering it on the Crazy levels :P

This wouldn't really be "nothing but long walk" since there are a few obstacles (albeit pitiful) in the middle. And I was sort of kidding about the steel bit, since no other Tame level has steel (and so it seems "wrong" for it to be there).

(Hey, no one's posted in the meantime. I might just sneak a review in here...)
Tame 7 - Who's That Lemming

Good: The pit on the left has a mean habit of swallowing up those lemmings which makes this the only Tame level where you need an extra skill to go from a regular solution to a 100%. Plus there's the less-than-obvious builders only solution, and the even less obvious climbers solution.

Bad: Could make better use of the brown terrain pieces, rather than just the "finger" in the middle.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 01:38:59 PM »
Tame 8 - Dangerzone

Good: Doing this level with builders alone is one of the more fun (without being difficult) solutions in the Tame set.
Bad: The level would be more worthy of inclusion if the builders-only solution were required.