Author Topic: Hello  (Read 6783 times)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
Hello
« on: July 10, 2009, 07:09:28 PM »
Hi everyone,

Nice to see that the community is still active. I used to be a member of one of the old boards under the username of Ahribar / Nuntar, and I see that a few people are still around from that long ago and might remember me.

I've had a busy couple of years, and still won't have much time to give to Lemmings, but I have now finished my contribution to the next Repton release, so I would like to have a bit more Lemmings in my life again to fill that gap.

Anyone want to fill me in on what's been happening in my absence? There doesn't seem to be a Cheapo topic any more, so what are people using these days? What should I download if I want to get involved with Lemmings again?

And how are you all? I know the community has lost a few members over the years, but does anyone still hear from them or have news on how they are?

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 01:42:32 AM »
I'm sorta new to the community, but welcome back to the forums (even though you probably left the original forums before I joined).

What do we use for lemmings?  These days, it's Lemmix or Lemmix all the way for some people.  Though cheapo wasn't bad.  I think it is still around...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 01:48:52 AM »
Welcome back!

There doesn't seem to be a Cheapo topic any more, so what are people using these days?

Yeah, for various reasons, people haven't been making Cheapo levels, and Peter Spada hasn't been heard from in ages, so Cheapo kinda went cold.  Unfortunate really, since there are lots of excellent Cheapo levels.

What should I download if I want to get involved with Lemmings again?

Just so you know, I still have Cheapo and am perfectly happy to use it again for whatever levels you choose to create.  In fact, maybe I should upload my copy somewhere so people can still download Cheapo.

The custom Lemmings clone du jour is Lemmix, created by Eric Langedijk.  It is essentially a clone of LemEdit/CustLemm, except it runs natively in Windows instead of requiring a DOS emulator like DOSBox.  It can be a little bit of a pain to setup though, since you have to download the files from various DOS Lemmings games (eg. CustLemm, etc.) separately.  You may be able to find some of those files on Mindless' website and file archive.  And it doesn't support custom tilesets, so really, I would much rather you stick with Cheapo at this point.  Who knows, you may well single-handedly revive interest in Cheapo again!

And how are you all? I know the community has lost a few members over the years, but does anyone still hear from them or have news on how they are?

Yeah, sadly the members that are gone we haven't heard from.  The forums is partly to blame since it went dark for likely nearly an entire year, and there was no good way to contact people once it's finally up and running again.  Off top of my head, members who are still around that I know from the old forums:

you, DragonsLover, LemSteven, geoo89, Mr. K, ...that's it I think.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 02:52:00 AM »
Welcome back.

Y'know, Cheapo was really fun to work with.  I'd love to see it used actively again because the higher degree of customization was really killer.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 06:19:09 AM »
Who knows, you may well single-handedly revive interest in Cheapo again!

I'll help (if it works in WINE).  And the person who made the hack that uses .mod (wasn't that you, ccexplore, or was it someone else?), upload that.  It was AWESOME.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 10:15:22 AM »
I've always preferred cheapo, but it just seems to have no interest anymore. The main reason being the editor - LemEdit is a pain to use on XP, even with DosBox, and Lemmix Editor is plain annoying...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 10:22:03 AM »
I don't know if they were there when you originally were, but there are a few others still around from the old forums.

Clam Spammer, me, Jason, ccexplore...  there may be others.  Of course, this is just pre-forum switch, so...

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 01:37:12 PM »
Me! No idea what I was known as back then though. I'm the one who made the "Lemmings Plus" series.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 10:52:05 PM »
Either you had a different name then, or I never saw you around the old forums.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 06:51:03 PM »
I remember and really enjoyed Lemmings Plus, but I forget what your old name was as well and I don't seem to have any of my old Cheapo stuff in order to go check.  *shrug*

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 07:31:30 AM »
Ji Hoon on the last forums, but I totally forget what I was on all of them before that.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 07:33:20 AM »
I never heard of "Ji Hoon" partially because he didn't post any levels on the archive. :)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 08:17:36 AM »
Hm. I never knew anyone (other than Ahribar) actually played the Lemmings Pluses other than the first one (which looking back now, was kinda lame).
It makes me more want to try and find my disc which has what I've completed of Lemmings Plus 4 on it, as I had some GREAT levels in it...
My Lemmings projects

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 07:54:26 PM »
I seem to remember a lemmings plus vaguely.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 07:56:11 PM »
Where can you find Lemmings Plus?
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3