Author Topic: Don't exit on losing all lemmings (feature development)  (Read 5808 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: Don't exit on losing all lemmings (feature development)
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2024, 02:43:22 PM »
OK, this fixes the problem. We specifically check for (StateIsUnplayable and a non-Success result) at the point that the replay check stops because of StateIsUnplayable, and return a CR_FAIL result:

Code: [Select]
            if (Game.CurrentIteration > CutoffFrame) or
               Game.IsOutOfTime or Game.StateIsUnplayable then
            begin
              Game.Finish(GM_FIN_TERMINATE);
              if Game.GameResultRec.gSuccess then
                fReplays[i].ReplayResult := CR_PASS;
              if Game.GameResultRec.gGotTalisman then
                fReplays[i].ReplayResult := CR_PASS_TALISMAN;
              if (not Game.GameResultRec.gSuccess) and Game.StateIsUnplayable then  <----- added these lines---
                fReplays[i].ReplayResult := CR_FAIL;                              <-----------------------------
              Break;
            end;

New .exe attached. We'll call this one Exp 13 (1/5/24).

EDIT: Maybe IsOutOfTime should also be factored in, and return a CR_FAIL result?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 03:06:39 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2024, 03:10:32 PM »
OK, even better.

This time, we factor in IsOutOfTime as well.

if (Game.CurrentIteration > CutoffFrame) or
               Game.IsOutOfTime or Game.StateIsUnplayable then
            begin
              Game.Finish(GM_FIN_TERMINATE);
              if Game.GameResultRec.gSuccess then
                fReplays[i].ReplayResult := CR_PASS;
              if Game.GameResultRec.gGotTalisman then
                fReplays[i].ReplayResult := CR_PASS_TALISMAN;
              if (Game.StateIsUnplayable or Game.IsOutOfTime) <------------------------------------
                and not Game.GameResultRec.gSuccess then      <--------changed these lines------
                  fReplays[i].ReplayResult := CR_FAIL;        <------------------------------------
              Break;
            end;

This now only returns CR_UNDETERMINED if the level has an infinite time limit. Otherwise, if the time limit has been reached and the result is non-Success, it returns CR_FAIL. Not sure why it wasn't always like this tbh, there are probably reasons. But, this works nicely.

New .exe attached. We'll call this one The 4pm Version 8-)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2024, 06:44:19 PM »
Thanks. Both packs that I tested yesterday (the NL Introduction pack and Lemmings United) produce identical text outputs during mass-replay-verification in your new nl-4pm as they produced in nl-2024-04-08. In other words, in nl-4pm, the replays are still oneframediff, which is good.

Your code (that you posted with nl-4pm) looks reasonable. I've only looked at your snippet, I haven't looked at the codebase. In those GameResultRec that you get there, does gGotTalisman always imply gSuccess? Then I don't see any problems.

I haven't looked at your test cases yet. The idea is excellent. I wouldn't worry much about the "Error" high-level result.

-- Simon

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: Today at 12:41:22 AM »
does gGotTalisman always imply gSuccess?

As far as I can tell, yes. We first check for Success, then check for a Talisman, wherever it's relevant. So, if we're checking for a Talisman then we have to have reached a Success result.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #109 on: Today at 05:11:00 AM »
As far as I can tell, yes. We first check for Success, then check for a Talisman, wherever it's relevant. So, if we're checking for a Talisman then we have to have reached a Success result.

That doesn't answer my worry.

Reason: You're not exiting the monster, you're continuing into tests that care for (not success), but not for (not talisman) and overwrite the result that depended on your test for success:

... things that depend on success but don't exit early ...
if (Game.StateIsUnplayable or Game.IsOutOfTime)
    and not Game.GameResultRec.gSuccess then
        fReplays[i].ReplayResult := CR_FAIL;

This is a problem when the supplier of that result struct GameResultRec allows to have (gSuccess false at the same time as g.GotTalisman true). When I wrote "imply", I meant this supplier's side of concerns, not the consuming code that you showed. Your code seems to assume that the supplier always has gSuccess whenever he has g.GotTalisman. I ask you if that assumption is justified.

Your unassuming line would be:

and not (Game.GameResultRec.gSuccess or Game.GameResultRec.gGotTalisman) then
I'll have time for code review tonight, Friday 3rd, 17:00 UTC, or anytime on the weekend.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: Today at 10:32:54 AM by Simon »