Author Topic: [SUG] Restore auto-replay when Rewinding [RESOLVED]  (Read 972 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
[SUG] Restore auto-replay when Rewinding [RESOLVED]
« on: July 16, 2023, 05:35:51 AM »
Speaking of rewinding: I find it really odd (if not to say "annoying", "frustrating") that every replay automatically cancels when rewinding. :evil: In NeoLemmix, it only cancels when clicking. Also, there's the write replay feature (when the R icon turns blue) that allows to add skill assignments to a replay without cancelling the rest of it.

While I can understand that these features may go against the "more execution difficulty" philosophy of SuperLemmix from a player's perspective, these tools are also useful for a level designer.

• For example, I've just watched someone else's replay to one of my levels, and at one point I thought: "Wait, what did he just do there?" So I rewinded - and immediately cancelled the replay in the process. All I could do was reload the replay and watch the entire thing from the start again.
  • Replay writing / editing is also useful while designing a level, to quickly test out different variations. Rather than having to go through the individual skill assignments countless times, just because you've changed one little thing. Luckily, it's still possible to save manual replays (by pressing "S" instead of "U", as it used to be the case in NeoLemmix). However, these manually saved replays of course also still get cancelled when rewinding. So you still have to redo a good portion of the solution a bunch of times, while all you're trying to assess is, e.g., the placement of a certain object.

Perhaps this is just something about my settings in the SuperLemmix player that I am yet unaware of? Or were some of these features actually removed, and deliberately so? ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 07:49:27 PM by WillLem »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG] Restore auto-replay when Rewinding
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2023, 01:54:21 PM »
Speaking of rewinding: I find it really odd (if not to say "annoying", "frustrating") that every replay automatically cancels when rewinding. :evil: In NeoLemmix, it only cancels when clicking

This is indeed intentional, but I'm happy to prevent replay-cancelling when Rewinding if people prefer?

Luckily, it's still possible to save manual replays (by pressing "S" instead of "U", as it used to be the case in NeoLemmix).

You can still use the NL hotkeys, either by copying the hotkeys.ini file across from NL to SLX (which will retain any changes you made to the hotkeys in NL), or by clicking "Set To Alternative Layout" in the SLX hotkey configuration dialog (which will set hotkeys to the NL default).

Thinking about it, I should probably just make it say "Set To NeoLemmx Layout" - I'll update this in 2.5.

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 04:25:24 PM »
I would like the option to NOT cancel replays by rewinding without swapping all the settings to NeoLemmix. I have also experienced some dislike with this feature.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2023, 09:05:32 PM »
As of 2.4.2, Rewind mode actually does auto-replay as long as:

a) "Auto-Replay After Backwards Frameskip" is activated
a) "Classic Mode" is deactivated

Please can you confirm that this is the behaviour you're referring to?

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2023, 11:23:12 PM »
I did not have "Auto-Replay After Backwards Frameskip" enabled.

...Jeremy Kapp

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2023, 07:34:59 AM »
Thanks, WillLem! :thumbsup: That was indeed what I suspected (see above) - that I had merely not activated some feature that would return this behaviour to the state I was used to from NeoLemmix. In this case, I hadn't activated "Classic Mode", but I had not ticked the "Auto-Replay After Backwards Frameskip" box.

While I was at it, I also activated "Atuo-Replay when restarting the level"; that's nice if you've just completed the level, and want to watch your solution play out in full context again.
That's easy to forget if you spend a lot of time trying to get one particular part of the solution right (such as the ending), until you've already forgotten what you did at the beginning of the level.

So it looks like we don't need any further programming updates on this side, because 2.4.2 already enables the player to choose. :D

That's a direction of SuperLemmix I can get on board with, btw: :thumbsup:
Not necessarily "more execution difficulty" (compared to NeoLemmix) for the entire engine in general; but simply more options for players.
So that everyone can enjoy the game the way they like.
Starting with the skills (there will still be people who'll restrict themselves to the classic 8, and come to SuperLemmix for Timed Bombers and Classic Mode; others will enjoy having even more skills at their disposal than in NeoLemmix), and ending with these more global gameplay parameters.

NeoLemmix, in contrast, especially in New Formats, has sometimes been moving towards "we can't allow certain things to be available, not even for those people who like them, because these features might be used to troll other unsuspecting players / make the game too complex for newer players etc.". So that's another difference in philosophy, aside from the different ratio of puzzle levels vs. execution difficulty.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [SUG] Restore auto-replay when Rewinding [RESOLVED]
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 07:53:12 PM »
OK, well I'm glad that's sorted it.

Maybe the option should be activated by default? I chose not to because people are sometimes put off by the auto-Replay behaviour, and it feels like it probably should be more of an opt-in thing. Thoughts?

I suppose we could set a message box the first time Replay mode is activated, explaining the mode and including "don't show this message again" and "don't enter auto-replay mode again" as options (the former of which simply won't show the message, whilst the latter will also toggle Auto-Replay off).