Author Topic: Level Review Topic  (Read 117879 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Level Review Topic
« Reply #315 on: March 20, 2012, 02:03:00 AM »
Well done :) That one's quite tricky and a nice puzzle, but this next one is definitely one of my favourites....

Genesis - Sunsoft 9 - Evacuating a coal mine

100 lemmings
Save 100%
RR 99
5 minutes

1 climber, 3 builders, 10 bashers, 2 miners

Good: Excellent puzzle, looks impossible until you spot the solution, and in contrast to TM's previous "bad" point, the difficulty of this one stems largely from the paucity of builders. Very nice use of the crystal graphics set, too.

Bad: What's the point of the trap in the bottom-right corner of the level?

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 20, 2012, 04:12:10 PM »
Genesis - Sunsoft 10 - Spiral Staircase

Number of lemmings: 100
Save 98% (98/100)
Skills: 1/1/1/1/10/0/0/10
Time: 6:00
Release rate: 20

Good: The terrain fits together well.
Bad: This level is practically fun difficulty. It would of been a lot better with a 100% save rate or something. Also there's too many lemmings.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 21, 2012, 02:51:22 AM »
Bad: What's the point of the trap in the bottom-right corner of the level?

It must be for design of the level to make it look nice. I mean look at Cascade. I don't think the exit area would look good, if it didn't had that useless noose trap there.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 21, 2012, 02:22:26 PM »
Well, the format dictates I had to find something bad to say about the level!

No such difficulties with this one.

Genesis - Sunsoft 11 - Turn around and look.

50 lemmings
Save 90% (45)
Release rate 1
3 minutes

5 builders, 2 bashers, 3 miners

Good: Neat puzzle idea using the "long way round" theme; the trap is well used to make it more thought-provoking than it might at first appear.
Bad: The steps are all fairly obvious. And I believe there's enough room to mine and turn them round on the upper level, spoiling the puzzle.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 22, 2012, 02:12:41 PM »
Yeah, I think that's how I solved it. :evil:

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 26, 2012, 12:56:19 AM »
sometimes I think some so-called backroutes were left in on purpose by game designers for the benefit of gamers that like using their noggin'  ;) (or this could just be a slightly more sophisticated version of "More complicated than it looks") In this case, whether your an over thinker or lazy there's a solution for you.

Sunsoft 12: Water Processing Plant

Lemmings: 50
Rescue: 49
Time Limit: 3 minutes
RR: 1

Float:1 Build:7 Bash:1 Min:2 everything else: 0

Good: I like the design and layout. A bunch of different solutions seem possible at first but then you realize it's actually very limited. The Rescue number kinda of threw me off.

Bad: Separating the Lemmings is a little frustrating (timing).

-------------
what should we review after Genesis is done? I vote for Lemmings Revolution!
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline lemmaniack133

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 28, 2012, 07:11:05 AM »
Newbie (to the site, but NOT the game ;P) here. Sorry to impose but might I get into these level reviews. I'd like to contribute and spread my fandom of Lemmings also haha :).

I just need to know how to post the level pics on here; if someone would be nice to teach/tell me haha XD.

You guys can call me Kevin or Kev for short 8).

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #322 on: March 28, 2012, 09:10:09 AM »
Images are hotlinked from the directory http://www.deveria.com/alexis/lemmings/lemmings/gen/. Insert into forum post with [img]imageURL[/img].

ratingXX.png are the images in use.
ratingXXsm.png are thumbnails, we don't need those.
ratingXXst.png shows, from left to right, the skillset, the release rate, and the time limit.

-- Simon

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 28, 2012, 12:55:12 PM »

Sunsoft 13: Doomsday
Lemmings: 50
Goal: 40 (80%)
Time: 5
Rate: 1
Skills: 20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20

Good: Looks funny and artistic.
Bad: Breaks the difficulty curve and is one of the most convincing pieces of evidence I can see that suggests that the Sunsoft rating was conceived purely as a bonus category rather than being necessarily more difficult than any other level. Seriously, though, an easy all-20 level this late in the game?? It's not the only one, too; there are two more later on. Also, I believe you have to build up from the bottom on the right a bit too much for my liking. And it feels very sloppily designed to have the lemmings walking on the letters, which I don't think happens in any other level.

Offline lemmaniack133

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 01, 2012, 09:01:30 AM »
Let's see if I can do this level review thing right haha :P.

Lemmings (Sega Genesis) - Sunsoft Level 14 - "No world without you"
# of Lemmings: 2
Rescue: 100% (2)
Time: 5
Release Rate: 90
Skills: 01/00/00/00/04/04/00/01

Good: Very nice title; it definitely implies the solution to them both home. Level itself looks very nice, and two-lemming levels make it slightly easier to manage :)
Bad: It, unfortunately, suffers a backroute (although, in my experience, it can't performed correctly all of the time). This level also seems a bit easier than Mayhem Level 23 - "A group of entrances"

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 01, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »
You did fine, don't worry. (Though I'm very curious now as to what the backroute is.)

Genesis - Sunsoft 15 - Exodus!

50 lemmings
Save 100%
Release rate 1
3 minutes

5 climbers, 1 floater, 5 blockers, 4 builders, 1 basher

Good: A classic lateral thinking puzzle -- when I first came across it on ONML, took me a very long time to spot the method. Looks absolutely gorgeous redone in the "sand" style, with an atmosphere of stillness that fits in very well with the "get out of this place" theme.
Bad: Unlike in ONML, where it's positioned here it seems out of place.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 01, 2012, 06:41:35 PM »
(In L14, each entrance has another one behind it.  ??? Since there are only two lemmings, this is totally useless (but it would be useless anyway wouldn't it?)

Genesis Sunsoft 16: Here is Mr. Lemming's House

50 lemmings
Save 40
Release rate 1
5 minutes

0 climbers, 0 floater, 10 of everything else

Good: an interesting level that requires a little thinking. There's a bunch of different ways to get around the one-way obstacle. You have plenty of skills except no climbers or floaters which makes it a little interesting. The decoration is also good.

Bad: It's more like tricky or even fun difficulty.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 02, 2012, 03:06:58 AM »
(In L14, each entrance has another one behind it.  ??? Since there are only two lemmings, this is totally useless (but it would be useless anyway wouldn't it?)
You mean on Lemmix? That could be to force the lemmings to come out in the correct ABAB order (on the Mayhem version where there's more than two lemmings) rather than the weird DOS ABBA order. Basically if you have extra entrances which are in the same place, they're effectively invisible but will change the order in which lemmings enter the level. I used it on a custom level with 4 lemmings, where I wanted 3 lemmings out of one entrance and 1 out of the other – I just placed three entrances overlapping.

Offline lemmaniack133

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 02, 2012, 09:52:17 PM »
I'm guessing the next level will be a popular one haha. I'll just review this one :P

Lemmings (Sega Genesis) - Sunsoft Level 17 - "Cave quest"
# of Lemmings: 10
Rescue: 100% (10)
Time: 5 Minutes
Release Rate: 10
Skills: 02|03|05|01|05|03|03|03

Good: Appropriate title. Level looks real nice too, and I think the traps were a nice touch along with the limited amount of skills. (Otherwise, this level would be too easy :P.) Really makes you think what's the best way to get out of this "cave" ;).
Bad: When you build to the exit, the height looks a like intimidating (until you find out it's not splat height). There's nothing else really I can say XD.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 02, 2012, 10:00:54 PM »
Genesis - Sunsoft 18 - SUNSOFT Special

60 lemmings
Save 80% (48)
Release rate 20
3 minutes

20 of each skill

Good: Jaunty music that's not too grating on the ears, for a short while. I wouldn't like it to occur on more than one level though!
Bad: Even for a "special" level, this is really easy.

...and, just in case anyone's wondering, both the characters depicted by the level and the music come from the Sunsoft game "Ufouria".