Author Topic: Oh No! More Challenges!  (Read 110762 times)

Offline alfonz1986

• View Profile
Re: Oh No! More Challenges!
« Reply #405 on: August 17, 2011, 09:45:47 PM »
@CCE
Looking further at ur solution its essentially a modified version of geoo's original solution to my no-blocker challenge. Did u see that replay he posted? Damn that splat height... :P U have ruined my plans of leaving the whole forum scratching their heads for ages while I refuse to release my solution until someone solves it or everyone gives up :P Oh well, lemmings works in mysterious ways hehe...

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 17, 2011, 10:59:23 PM »
Please try not to exclude the rest of the forum from discussion. If you only want to talk to ccexplore, send him a PM. Thanks. ;)
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline alfonz1986

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 18, 2011, 09:16:57 AM »
I don't see what the problem is. Can't u see what I wrote in the textbox? Im merely discussing the differences between our two solutions, which I'm happy for anyone to see, without giving spoilers to the community if people are trying the challenge themselves.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 20, 2011, 09:55:28 AM »
Here's another challenge, for those who haven't given up playing Lemmings yet. ;)

Crazy 15. Pass the level with nothing other than 1 blocker, 7 builders, 3 bashers and 1 miner.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 26, 2011, 07:30:11 AM »
Got it with a few skills to spare (1 blocker, 2 bashers).

I've attached a replay, since that seems to be acceptable in this thread now. :)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 05, 2011, 07:48:32 AM »
Interesting! :thumbsup: That method you did was different to what I did because you used less skills. It might not be the most satisfying solution, but at least it worked.
My intended solution saved more than 88%, and used all the skills.

OK, I have just thought of a new type of challenge.

Swapping the positions of the exit and the entrance, solve Wild 17. Here's the attachment of the level if you want to download it.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 05, 2011, 09:25:36 AM »
Good idea :). But, rather than the 'sensible' method of putting the exit on the ground below where the hatch used to be, I've taken it one step further and moved the entrance and exit to each other's exact x-y coordinates. And, it's still solvable! :D Level and replay attached.

I actually considered this idea once for a challenge thread, but I never could decide whether to swap the objects the 'sensible' way, or actually swap their positions. Plus the forum was in a bit of a lull at that point. :-\

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 05, 2011, 11:19:38 AM »
I think I tried that with a couple of levels once. I also once took the levels from ONML and ran them with original Lemmings, which is quite easy to do on the Mac because you just move a file over. Basically, you get lots and lots of jumbled-up terrain. It crashed a lot, though, because of any invalid tiles that happened to come up (like the brick tileset from ONML has a lot more valid tiles than the rock tileset from L1), so I had to keep going through and changing the tileset until it worked.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 05, 2011, 10:34:19 PM »
I also once took the levels from ONML and ran them with original Lemmings, which is quite easy to do on the Mac because you just move a file over. Basically, you get lots and lots of jumbled-up terrain.
There's a topic for that, and similar creations. :)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 06, 2011, 12:23:37 AM »
I just found a great 'swap the entrance and exit' challenge: Flurry 12 (with the exits moved down onto the terrain). The level is attached. (I forget which entrance order Holiday Lemmings uses, but it's solvable either way :))

Also, last post before I go. Seeya (:

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 28, 2011, 12:54:44 PM »
Without moving the screen solve the following levels:

Tame 15
Taxing 16
Mayhem 18

This type of challenge originally came off the top of my head back here. I don't think Tricky 2 was a very exciting level for this type of challenge, but I'm sure these three levels are worth trying out.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 28, 2011, 05:44:31 PM »
Here you go. That was a fun challenge. :D It's weird how much you have to find new ways to do some of the levels, like Mayhem 18, where I nearly ran out of room and had to let a couple of lemmings die.... and if the cursor touches the side it can suddenly jump and ruin the attempt.

(Now I know there's obviously no way I can verify that I didn't move the screen when I played through, so you'll just have to take my word for it...)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 28, 2011, 07:13:50 PM »
Well done for solving these three levels. :) Those weren't too hard at all. In fact I felt gutted that you just used two bashers for Tame 15 as I solved it with pure luck by blowing up the double blocker at the right time.

Now here's a MUCH harder level for this specific type of challenge. Solve Fun 15.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 28, 2011, 08:31:22 PM »

Since you can't prove that the screen hasn't been scrolled across (short of making a DOSBox video, which is tiresome), would it be good enough to change the requirement to 'assign skills only to lemmings inside the initial screen boundary'? For Fun 15 in particular, it would be useful to scroll across and see what you're doing. Scrolling doesn't affect the lemmings at all, so any such solution proves that you can solve the level without moving the screen.

Edit: solved Fun 15 :D

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 29, 2011, 07:44:19 AM »

Since you can't prove that the screen hasn't been scrolled across (short of making a DOSBox video, which is tiresome), would it be good enough to change the requirement to 'assign skills only to lemmings inside the initial screen boundary'? For Fun 15 in particular, it would be useful to scroll across and see what you're doing. Scrolling doesn't affect the lemmings at all, so any such solution proves that you can solve the level without moving the screen.

I think that is a better idea as I did feel like trying to scroll near the end when the basher is almost level with the exit after I release the other lemmings. There is no proof whether you moved the screen or not on Lemmix. However on Lemmini their replays do record screen movement (Which makes me anticipate rather than relax :P)