Author Topic: Lemmings Plus - Fewest Builders  (Read 9007 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Lemmings Plus - Fewest Builders
« on: August 15, 2004, 03:47:55 AM »
Here's the challenge. Find Lemmings Plus (and Lemmings Plus 2) solutions for levels, using as few builders as possible.

So far, the only one I've found worth mentioning, is a save 34 of 60 solution to "The Long Road To Lemming High", using only a single builder!
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus - Fewest Builders
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 04:28:04 AM »
So far I have got:

Funny 2 - No builders, 19 of 20
Funny 4 - 2 builders, 18 of 20
Funny 7 - No builders, 19 of 20
Funny 12 - 1 builder, 19 of 20
Strange 6 - 2 builders, 40 of 40
Strange 11 - 1 builder, 36 of 60
Strange 13 - No builders, 5 of 5
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 06:06:23 AM »
It looks like The Lemming Gun, whichever one that was, is possible for 76 of 80 with just nine builders, but I am yet to pull that off correctly - if it even works, the solution to acheive that requires almost every trick in the "Fewest Builders" trick list!
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 06:25:22 AM »
I'm now trying Lemmings Plus 2, of which I have found:

Light 12 - One builder, 59 of 60
Light 15 - One builder, 46 of 50

An interesting level is Neutral 2. I have found two different Fewest Builders solution. One of them uses one builder more than the other, but also saves one lemming more - this does make a difference unlike most time, because that one extra lemming saved results in 100%. Anyway, the two methods are:

Neutral 2 - Four builders, 100 of 100
Neutral 2 - Three builders, 99 of 100
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 06:48:33 AM »
Neutral 3 - Four builders, 79 of 80
Neutral 6 - Two builders, 59 of 80
Neutral 9 - No builders, 10 of 10
Dark 1 - Three builders, 50 of 50

Those are all that can be done with significantly less builders than the intended solution, it seems.
My Lemmings projects

Ice_Eagle91

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 04:49:50 PM »
In Light 14, I know it's possible in 0 builders, but bad timing ends up with 1 builder.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 06:53:40 AM »
This is mainly about levels that are usually highly reliant on builders. Light 14, I was actually originally going to give no builders as well as no bashers.
My Lemmings projects

Ice_Eagle91

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 03:43:28 PM »
Light 13: One builder, 100 out of 100

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 04:03:15 AM »
I could do that with no builders. And it's a level that doesn't really require builders in the first place. Look for levels that are usually builder-intensive!
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 04:07:53 AM »
I should make a pack of these sorts of levels. I'll look through Ultimate Challenge as well, and see what levels I can give more of other skills and reduce the builders to make harder levels.
My Lemmings projects

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 02:25:12 PM »
Quote from: Streetlight Admnistrator 370  link=1092541675/0#9 date=1092888473
I should make a pack of these sorts of levels. I'll look through Ultimate Challenge as well, and see what levels I can give more of other skills and reduce the builders to make harder levels.

Actually, that'd be quite fun. I'd play it if you did...

I, personally, haven't found any reduced builder solutions that are particularly clever... And One builder for "The Long Road to Lemming High"? That's... I don't know HOW you'd do that.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 05:04:49 AM »
I can confirm that the solution I thought of for "The Lemming Gun" will not work. However, with a slight terrain modification, an eight builder save 76 solution can be done. So I will put that in the pack.

And Insane Steve. I'd have expected more out of you with that Lemming High one. I mean, it freakin' uses one of your favourite tricks, FIVE OR SIX TIMES!
My Lemmings projects

Ice_Eagle91

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 05:11:44 AM »
Strange 1 - Three builders, 14 out of 20

Well, that's the best I can do it...

Steaver, is it 99 out of 100 in Direct Reversal using 0 builders?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 05:46:55 AM »
I've made the pack, although I still have to look through Ultimate Challenge for some extra ones. Anyway, for people attempting them either way, here's some tips:

-Practice your bomber timing. You need it for Funny 4, Strange 11 and Neutral 2.
-Try stretching your builders out, although there's only one level as far as I remember that this is any important.
-Practice pixel precision. This is required at least twice.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 10:38:57 AM »
Who would have thought?

By giving extra tools, one of the Oblivion levels can qualify for a part in the less builders challenge! To be exact, Temple Of Oblivion. Castle Of Oblivion doesn't have the right terrain, and Oblivion already has the fewest builders it can.

With 30 Floaters, 30 Blockers(I only used 29 though), 1 Builder, 5 Bashers, 5 Miners(well 3 actually, maybe even 2, but I'm going to give 5 in the release) and 5 Diggers, it is possible to acheive 30 out of 30 on Temple Of Oblivion! It took me a few attempts to find and execute this solution correctly though. The good thing is though, it involves no precision or timing operations, except the low-medium (somewhere inbetween, lol) precision required for the Oblivion trick. (Yes, even though it's a fewest builders challenge solution, it still uses the Oblivion trick, PLUS more freed blockers that aren't part of the trick)
My Lemmings projects