Author Topic: Dos Lemmings Clone for Windows  (Read 17417 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Dos Lemmings Clone for Windows
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2006, 08:26:25 AM »
The Lemmix editor doesn't have sound.

Sound has always been there in the editor's playtest mode, you just have to set it up yourself.̆ It is true though that there's no music there (at least not yet).

If the DOS clone has stuff like save states, fast forward, jump ten seconds etc. there's no reason there shouldn't be easier passwords, since you can't really argue that its trying to replicate the original experience.

That's somewhat true.̆ Fast forward though is already available in certain official versions of Lemmings such as Window's.̆ Save states falls under the umbrella of action-replay and that too is available in versions such as Window's, although I'd have to argue too that I'd rather only allow replay and not savestates for the clone, even if the rest (savestates, etc.) are really just enhancements on replays.

In contrast, I find it a bit of a stretch to see cheats as an "improvement" or "enhancement" on levelcodes.̆ If you are going to make cheats the default in the player, you might as well remove the levelcode interface altogether since it'd be a moot point.̆ I personally would like something like the level selector in the editor if I want to jump to particular levels (because, I don't know about you, but I would still need to look up the level number if I want to go to a particular level!).

That being said, I do understand that pragmatically, everyone who cares has probably already played the levels already and could do away with the levelcodes.̆ I will also share that the few occasion I played the Windows version, one frustration I have is that in that version, they don't even have passwords--they keep track of your actual progress via files, and their system don't even let you jump to random levels via password--you'd have to "skip" the preceding levels one by one until you reach the level you want.

One possible compromise is a "activate cheat" levelcode, which actually exists in the original DOS game too.̆ I think it's "BILLANDTED" or something.̆ Even in the original game, activating cheat mode merely allows you to "win" any level by pressing I think Alt+F5 or something while playing that level (somewhat like the "skip this level" feature in Windows Lemmings).̆ But for the clone, perhaps we can have levelcode "ERICLANG" activate a cheat mode that allows the "MAYHEM30" cheat codes.

Offline nobody

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2006, 10:46:57 AM »
Maybe Eric can add in the ability to scroll through the levels that you've already completed on the level select screen using the arrow keys? The SNES and Genesis versions let you do this. Then maybe he could put an option in a .cfg file to have all the levels unlocked by default.

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2006, 09:38:22 PM »
(what are these dating girls doing above the lemmings screenshot, when I click on your thumbnail?)

Good old imageshack has to support themselves somehow, but I actually don't see the ads.
Grab a copy of Firefox if you don't already have it.  Then get Adblock Plus and filterset.g updater and you're on your way to ad-free web browsing...

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2006, 10:05:14 AM »
@Mindless:
I use FireFox. Adblock does not de-activate hese idiot commercials.
I'll try the other one too.
However: The winzip replacement works ok!

Currently working on levelcodes and usersettings and some loose ends.
And I am going to use DirectX, if I can manage that. Screenoutput will be much faster then.

Craig3410

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2006, 05:49:46 PM »
@Mindless:
I use FireFox. Adblock does not de-activate hese idiot commercials.
I'll try the other one too.
However: The winzip replacement works ok!

Try http://www.pierceive.com/ (Filterset.G).

It should filter them. (Well, it should filter just about every ad on the internet, so..  :wink:)

EDIT: I see Mindless mentioned it first. Oh well; it's popular. :)

gandb777

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2006, 10:42:03 AM »
Does anyone have the level codes for "DOS Lemmings Clone for Windows."  Or, where could I get them   Thanks   gandb777

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2006, 07:57:42 PM »
I'm using Windows 98SE and I don't see any cursor displayed on the screen.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2006, 11:11:10 PM »
@Craig: read first post of this thread or homepage for codes.
@Dragonslayer: My Lemmings on Win98 has a cursorproblem, I know. I am going to fix that but currently I'm busy with some other things...

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2006, 07:09:51 AM »
Ow, COME OOOOOON!!! :laugh:

Ok, I'll wait! :angry:

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2006, 05:01:27 AM »
Another suggesion:

Can you make the skills bar and the text looks like the "High Performance PC" mode?

Is it almost finished too?

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2006, 06:04:46 AM »
I'm investigating the situation about the cursor... (not fulltime since your last message...). It is not easy to test because I havent got a Win98 PC in my house. Sorry, it is not almost finished. If I have the solution I will immediately upload :)
I will have a look at the high performance pc mode. I never saw it.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2006, 06:16:50 AM »
It's almost the same thing as the Amiga or Atari-ST, excepted maybe for the text bar (letters and numbers look differently).

Oh, and btw, I've found a little way to get a cursor. I just need to press the Windows key and the Windows menu appears. I just need to move the cursor in the menu and then get it back in the game. Of course, it isn't the appropriate cursor, but it works. Unfortunately, I must do that for every level and everytime I fail.

Another suggestion : clone the Amiga version of Lemmings instead of the Dos one. The Dos version isn't as good.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2006, 07:07:15 AM »
Still did not find the way to handle the cursor in Win98.
Maybe I will add the Amiga toolbar. Personally I dislike the Amiga buttons because they are so dark. I'll check and see, if the lemmings-tech-docs contain info about the toolbar.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2006, 06:26:29 AM »
How come everyone goes on about the DOS version not being as good when Mike said the DOS and Amiga versions were in development at the same time?? Keep up the DOS clone! It's looking great. I run it in WINE on Linux, it works brilliantly. Faster than Lemmini even. In certain circumstances, it runs faster than Lemmings running in Dosbox. Just brilliant. By the way, I like the DOS toolbar in boring old dumb mode. Lol. I agree, the Amiga one is too dark.

(PS: What is the advantage of 100 Lemmings as opposed to 80 other than waiting longer for them all to get home?)
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2006, 07:59:15 AM »
Thanks.
I have been very lazy last month, because of playing World of Warcraft.
But I will continue development of the clones and the remake (which is still almost finished, lol)