Author Topic: Dos Lemmings Clone for Windows  (Read 17820 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Dos Lemmings Clone for Windows
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2007, 06:56:50 PM »
Thanks again ccexplore, this really is the finishing touch!

Sure, no problem!  Although, can you remind me again how to use the levelcode in LemmixPlayer to go to a specific level?  I tried both the "ratingXX" format and an actual levelcode from the original game, but neither works.  Thanks.

PIGSgrame

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2007, 07:02:58 PM »
I think I can also tell you: Open one of the .INI files in the executeable's directory, find the line
Code: [Select]
CheatCodesEnabled=0 and change the 0 to 1. I've found out that with this enabled, bypassing levels with numpad-[5] works too.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2007, 10:19:14 PM »
I found that in your clone's Mayhem 4, there are 50 Lemmings and 80% to be saved (which is rather easy and not really Mayhem-like, I think), where in my original DOS version, there are 80 Lemmings and 100% to be saved (which makes this level noteably more difficult). Is this a mistake or did you use a reference version where this level indeed has 50/80%? Even if it's the latter: Can you change it to 80/100% anyway?

I checked my copy of DOS Lemmings and it's 50/80%, and I'm pretty sure the copy I have is the "original" DOS version (there've been at least two versions of DOS Lemmings released).  For my curiosity, can you check the timestamps on the files on your copy of DOS Lemmings?

I suppose it's acceptable to make it 80/100% or at least 50/100%, since I'm pretty sure the original Amiga version also requires 100%.

It might be interesting if LemmixPlayer.exe can look for "replacement level files" in its directory.  That way, it'll use the ones stored inside the program if there're none, but if the player wants to, they can just copy the level files from their copy of Lemmings over to override the levels in LemmixPlayer.exe and  fix any "mistakes" (really, mismatches) there might be.

[edit: @PIGSgrame:  thanks for the help, editing the .INI file works]

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2007, 10:37:44 PM »
I willl post more info later, but during this Beta the password "cheatcodes" activates cheatcodes and then you can enter "mayhem12" as levelcode to play it.
Currently all data is embedded in the executable. Because it is a clone. I haven't yet decided if it stays that way.
Get back here later....

PIGSgrame

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2007, 10:56:09 PM »
Sorry, I cannot tell you the timestamp right now. I have a CD version which contains both Original and More Lemmings, but I couldn't find it (maybe I can look it up in my archived CDs within the next days). The files on my PC are from a backup CD I created several years ago, so the timestamps show some date in 1999, which is hardly the correct one. I don't even remember if I used the CD-version for the backup or if I downloaded a copy from the net this time... If it helps, the CRC-32 of the executeable is 61459C25.

I think there are several things in the original PC version of the game that were not actually planned this way. Mayhem 4 with only 80% to save is next to pointless, you can even achieve this by entering the web from the upper side, rendering the idea of the level, preventing each and every lemming from turning, useless. Same goes, for example, for Taxing 12. The idea is not bad at all, but with more builders than really needed, it's too easy. Another example would be Wicked 14, which is surprisingly simple compared to the levels before. I will also never understand what made the developers of the PC version exchange "Going their seperate ways" with "All the 6's" (Tricky 21) ...

Well, to cut it short, I think it's a real good idea to have the ability to override levels and properties. Maybe Eric can, despite the goal to clone as exactly as possible, include some of the often more logical Amiga version stuff by default (especially restoring the original Tricky 21). If he is willing to do this, we could gather a list of the most obvious PC mismatches.
Apart from that, having the ability to override whole leves would also simplify the use of custom levels with LemmixPlayer.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2007, 08:13:14 AM »
1. About the "originality" of the levels: I don't know. Maybe best is to use the original files and let LemmixPlayer take it's data from there. That way people can fiddle around with it. Maybe I will make both options, because I also like the idea of a single executable.

2. Colors we be worked on. It's a bit messy stuff :)

3. The release rate timer issue: I will check on that with DosBox. What's currently happening is that when releaserate adjusting is activated the number goes up/down every frame. This seemed logical to me at the time. If this is not done in the original game, I have a serious problem, because of the replay mechanism.
Maybe it is because of a slight time difference with the original game.
I first have to find a stopwath :)

Edit: One frame has a (in theory) duration of 60 milliseconds

4. I will publish the exact algorithm for generating the codes. And I will also try to implement the original codes.

5. I will reread this threat for things I may have missed or forgot

PIGSgrame

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2007, 10:17:50 AM »
You are right, having an executeable only is not bad either, it's at least more comfortable. Since you've worked hard on cloning the original PC game as exactly as possible, you surely don't want to change that in favour of the Amiga behaviour.

But if you considered to also release a version which reads levels from it's folder, this really would be great!

PIGSgrame

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2007, 12:48:38 PM »
Another idea would be to combine both things, such as this: If there is a file let's say 311.lvl in the game's folder, the level Taxing(=3) 11 is replaced by it, otherwise the game uses the level stored in the executeable. With this mechanism, we would gain the ability to actually "override on demand", which is what ccexplore suggested.

What do you think about that?

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2007, 01:45:53 AM »
There's still no cursor... >:(

And why not taking Amiga levels for use in your remake? I mean, I made the corrected Dos version of the game using these levels and the levels in your remake are still using the wrong Dos levels (missing objects, wrong stats...).

As for the "High Performance PCs" skill bar, I'm currently taking screenshots of these. I'll show them soon.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2007, 07:17:51 AM »
I'm working on it. But it will take a long time, sorry for that. One of the things is an optional cursor :)
It's a Windows98 (or lower) problem, that cursor-thing.
I could do a small inbetween project with the idea of PIGSgrame. The "override on demand". And the data on disk instead of compiled into the exe. And maybe I can fix that cursor...
Let me try today :)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2007, 01:39:09 PM »
Uploaded 0.8.0.0 for the original lemmings to:
http://home.hccnet.nl/ericenzwaan/lemmix/lemmix.htm

You can override the default levels by placing LVL-files in its directory.
The naming convention is simple: SSLL.LVL
where SS = sectionnumber (Fun = 01, Tricky = 02 etc.)
and LL = levelnumber (level 1 = 01, level 21 = 21)
For example to override Mayhem 3 place a LVL file 0403.LVL next to the executable.

There is no validation on the LVL-file. If the graphicset-number is too high, for example, the program will crash.

Cursor problem not solved. Sorry for that. Blame Microsoft for the time being :)

While working on the new version I will take all questions in this threat in consideration.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2007, 02:41:10 PM »
Forgot to tell. Edit the INI file too:
LookForLVLFiles=1