Author Topic: Dos Lemmings Clone for Windows  (Read 17821 times)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
Dos Lemmings Clone for Windows
« on: September 15, 2006, 07:41:03 AM »
So here it is, the Lemmix Standalone Player (beta).

http://home.hccnet.nl/ericenzwaan/lemmix/LemmixPlayer.exe

(edited: my ziptrial is over :))

Should work on all modern windows PC's.
All levels, graphics and sounds are included in this beta version. Later there will be a version which reads the contents from the original lemmings data.
Soon there will be a version for ONML Lemmings.

A few short notes (not complete I guess, but covering the most important):
Ä Explosion particles are not drawn yet.
Ä There is a temporary Level Code system. The real one has to be worked out.
Ä playscreen/resultscreen: "u" = save replay (in subdir Replay)
Ä playscreen: "R" = load replay
Ä playscreen: "r" = start replay
Ä playscreen: space key = jump 10 seconds
Ä playscreen: "s" = toggle sounds on/off
Ä playscreen: "m" = toggle music on/off
Ä playscreen: return = mark save state
Ä playscreen: backspace = go back to save state

EDIT: in addition to the levelcodes codes like "Taxing19" work too in this beta.

Craig3410

Re: Dos Lemmings Clone for Windows
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 10:02:49 PM »
Works Great!

One thing, though; could you make a slightly different Nuke shortcut, like Shift+F12 or something? I keep wanting to pause quickly and end up grazing F12. Oops.  :laugh:

Other than that, great program.  :thumbsup:

Also, I wanted to thank you many times over for the "instant ten seconds" feature; it's made me enjoy levels like Fun 19 again. :)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 11:04:44 PM »
One thing, though; could you make a slightly different Nuke shortcut, like Shift+F12 or something? I keep wanting to pause quickly and end up grazing F12. Oops.̆ :laugh:

The correct behavior as observed in the actual DOS game, is that nuke is only activated if the user "double clicks" on F12 (ie. press F12 or click on the nuke icon twice in succession).̆ I mentioned this already in e-mail to Eric and it will be fixed.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 12:11:28 AM »
Interesting... Is that really what the DOS game is like? Why can't you select when pause is on?
Can you implement a speed-up feature instead of the ten-second feature? I think it's more interesting and less prone to error when you can speed the game up.... similarly to the windows method of an extra button on the dashboard, but there are other ways, such as on the mac, holding down shift speeds the game up. I always really miss that feature on other systems.

Oh, and I like the music, it's almost exactly like what I'm used to, which surprised me slightly, having heard loads of rubbish conversions on the internet and in certain places...

Offline nobody

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 12:31:48 AM »
Finlay: You can select skills and change the release rate while the game is paused using the function keys. F1 & F2 decrease/increase the release rate, F3-F10 select skills, F11 pauses and F12 nukes.

Also, press f to go into fast forward mode

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 12:47:16 AM »
aha, thanks. I'm not at all used to selecting skills with the keyboard though, and I prefer the speed up mode when it's hold-down and not toggling, but whatever. Can you map "p" to pause, as well?

(Just as an aside, Mac ONML uses both shift and caps-lock to do the fast-forward, so I'd only ever use caps-lock at the very end of the level, and shift during the level when I need it sped up, but then I prefer shift anyway. That's also because it's very annoying when you forget to switch caps lock off...)

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 03:15:52 AM »
Nice!  It'd be cool if you could get the Lemmings running the scroller on the main screen animated.  You might hide the cursor on the main and level screens as in the DOS version or use the Amiga cursor instead...

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 07:58:01 AM »
Nice!  It'd be cool if you could get the Lemmings running the scroller on the main screen animated.
I almost finished the scrolling credits in the main screen. It is not as smooth as the original, because of the windowed mode. Of course the same credits as in Lemmix must be visible.

You might hide the cursor on the main and level screens as in the DOS version or use the Amiga cursor instead...
I'll hide it. (I never saw the Amiga version) Speaking of other versions: How could I play the Genesis version? I noticed it has a lot of different levels, which I do not know.

aha, thanks. I'm not at all used to selecting skills with the keyboard though, and I prefer the speed up mode when it's hold-down and not toggling, but whatever. Can you map "p" to pause, as well?
"p" could be used for pausing and I'll think about selecting the buttons with the mouse when paused. Some of these settings will become user definable as long as they do not disturb the game-mechanics. Speed up will not be so handy with shift, because I want that key to produce capitals without speeding up :).
Maybe the alt key? Maybe a usersetting. Don't know yet.

Also, press f to go into fast forward mode
Yeah, forgot to mention that.

The correct behavior as observed in the actual DOS game, is that nuke is only activated if the user "double clicks" on F12
Yeah, done already. I'll upload a new beta somewhere next week.

Oh, and I like the music, it's almost exactly like what I'm used to, which surprised me slightly, having heard loads of rubbish conversions on the internet and in certain places...
You have to think Mindless for that, I think.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 02:39:31 PM »
You might hide the cursor on the main and level screens as in the DOS version or use the Amiga cursor instead...
I'll hide it. (I never saw the Amiga version) Speaking of other versions: How could I play the Genesis version? I noticed it has a lot of different levels, which I do not know.
Grab an emulator from Zophar's Domain, then grab the Genesis ROM from my site.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 04:02:45 PM »
Uploaded new beta with some minor changes:
Ä Added the white rectangle in the minimap.
Ä Adjusted the total size of the game image (1584 instead of 1664)
Ä "u" = savereplay works in the playscreen now.
Ä A (more or less readable) replay textfile is generated too when saving replays (like in Lemmix).
Ä Small adjustment to the hotspot of the cursor which now finally must be perfect in the gameimage as well in the skillpanel.
Ä Added "Double key press" F12 for nuking.

In case you're wandering about the differences between Lemmix and LemmixPlayer:
I seperated the sourcecode of the editor from the code for the player.

Still to do for perfect cloning:
Ä some small adjustments to the levelcodescreen
Ä levelcode system
Ä explosion particles
Ä scrolling credits.
Ä did I forget anything?...

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 08:59:54 AM »
I also uploaded the beta for ONML

http://home.hccnet.nl/ericenzwaan/lemmix/lemmix.htm

(edit: and uploaded again, solved very stupid level-order bug (I hope) in ONML)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 08:56:36 PM »
The main screen and the screens before and after playing levels look a little screwed for me as they are resized to full width and I use a resolution of 1152*864 (ok, admittedly, it's an unusual one, but I can work best with it).
And the middle part of the ONML bricks set's exit is shifted 2 pixel lower than it should be.
Other than that, it works fine.

I'd appreciate customizable key settings (additionally to the F-keys) as everyone has different preferences, some are left handed, some right handed, and then there are the strange guys like me who are right handed but use the mouse in the left hand...
However, while it would be easy to find a place those settings could be set for the integrated player in the Lemmix Editor, it might be not as easy for these two version (maybe in the main -> F4 settings?).
Ah and you could carry over 0xdeadbeef's good idea to use double click RR to set it to max. resp min. While I found a quick way for the Playtester (Pause, FF, change RR, FF off, Pause off), switching from e.g. 01 to 99 takes quite some time.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 10:13:01 PM »
And the middle part of the ONML bricks set's exit is shifted 2 pixel lower than it should be.
Other than that, it works fine.

I was just going to post that, so I will anyway...  :tongue:

Exit is displayed incorrectly, CPU usage is a bit high (but acceptable) and stays the same even when fast-forwarding.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 10:54:44 PM »
The main screen and the screens before and after playing levels look a little screwed for me as they are resized to full width and I use a resolution of 1152*864

Because those screens are 640x350 in DOS, there is pretty much no supported resolution in modern machines that would have the same aspect ratios, and so some amount of stretching will occur on any display resolution.̆ I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "a little screwed" but I don't see how 1152x864 will fare any differently from other resolutions.

Offline covox

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 12:43:36 AM »
Nice job. I like the gradient added to the building blocks :)

Would it be at all possible to replicate the zoom-scrolling mode from DOS Lemmings? As in, holding down the right mouse button while holding the mouse in the scroll zone causes a twofold increase in scroll velocity.